RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Whiplash VS. Magnum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/607135-whiplash-vs-magnum.html)

jetsett 03-07-2003 06:10 PM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

1 Attachment(s)
My friend and I have both a whiplash and a magnum. I can say I like both of these airplanes. But I have to say, I love the magnum. Just the looks of it drives me crazy. It even looks better in the air. The flying qualities are a little different, due to the delta design of the whiplash. As for Speed!!!!!! Which one do you think is faster???

The Magnum uses a YS.45 engine turning an SPC 8X10 at 18,800.
The Whiplash uses an OS .46 FX turning an SPC 8x10 at 15, 800.

That's right the heavier whiplash using the "inferior" OS engine is only 3,000 rpm behind. Does this somehow translate into some kind of speed loss in the air.

During the flight sessions we've had this year, we didn't have a radar gun. However, it was easy to see from the trained r/c modelers' eye that the Magnum was a "little" faster.
The reason I say "faster" is because , that's all it was .....a "little" faster. In mph,....I'd have to say about 10-15 mph tops. By no means did the Magnum blow away the whiplash.
After the last flying session, I've decided to install a K&b.46 D/F engine, that should bring the rpm up a little and make this speed contest a little more fair.

In the air both planes have a great "presence".
On the ground the magnum looks marvelous, while the whiplash leaves everything hanging out,(servos, tanks, pushrods and such).
I like the strength of the whiplash, and the fact that it is easily painted to your own paint scheme, while the magnum only comes one way, with the trademark yellow, and C/F black trim. Why would you want the Magnum anyother way, it looks great the way it is.

As for price they turned out to be about the same, after shipping.
So if you want a war about whiplash vs, magnum, then I think overall people will generally vote for the magnum based on looks, but performace wise they are about even. I'll leave the rest up to you.

Cactus. 03-07-2003 08:57 PM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

If only you'd have used the West 50 you wouldnt see that pesky Whiplash :D

RampRat 03-07-2003 09:46 PM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

Agreed... :D

jetsett 03-08-2003 12:06 AM

west engine

Actually the YS. 45 is a very strong engine. I would like to know if the West .50 can turn a 8 x10 19,000 rpm???

Don

av8or48 03-08-2003 12:34 AM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

Mine will turn an APC 8x9 to 20.150 just on a 10% fuel and compared to my DD with a DF KB-45 turning 21800 on APC 7.2x8.6, same fuel, the magnum is 10 to 20 miles faster.

Cactus. 03-08-2003 11:49 AM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

I would like to know if the West .50 can turn a 8 x10 19,000 rpm???
Yes it will... if you throttle back :D:p
cutting an inch off the pipe length and running 8x9's on 5%-10% is most common here

jetsett 03-08-2003 12:20 PM

experience

1 Attachment(s)
Hi philly! do you own west engine, or a Ys .45 or an os .46 fx, have you ever flown a whiplash or a magnum, you seem to know an awful lot about "what " will leave "what" behind?
All I am saying is that the Magnum/Ys.45 was a little faster than the Whiplash/OS .46 FX, then you said the west .50 would have left the whiplash behind, is your west .50 more powerful than your Ys .45.
Please post the numbers to prove what your saying is true.
The Ys.45 posted 18,800 (rounded down) on my test stand, (I was able to get over 20,000 rpm with different size props and pipe lengths) .these are not fudged numbers or came straight from a magazine, or the maufacturers website, etc.
How about you run your WEST .50 with the same prop and tell me what you get.
Do you think that there is that much of a difference in speed between the YS and the WEST.

Cactus. 03-08-2003 12:40 PM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

no i dont own any of them, apart from a Magnum i'm chopping up and fitting a MVVS GRRT 40, and i still hope to be close to a West version with a 5k advantage on a 7x8 prop and more aerodynamic. however... i know from the ones in the club that the APC 8x9 on Prosynth 10% with a inch off the pipe will get over 20k, spose i could ask for figure, tho the doppler shift program is showing 20-21k in the air, and a top figure of 179mph on the flat
I wouldn't run a 8X10 IF i had a West because we found what works best down here already. the 8x10 dosnt have the same climb rate, and for the U shapes they love down here climb is everything. we also have the designer fly here sometimes and he knows how to make it work.
I wanna know more about these YS 45's tho.. they seem very popular and close figures for a smaller engine.. whats the cost? web site??? Why have you loaded yours up when you can rev higher??

I'll never fly a Whiplash, over priced and over weight. I'd prefer to build my own. Tho if i ever got a chance i wouldn't turn it down

jetsett 03-08-2003 01:10 PM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by phillybaby
no i dont own any of them, apart from a Magnum i'm chopping up and fitting a MVVS GRRT 40, and i still hope to be close to a West version with a 5k advantage on a 7x8 prop and more aerodynamic. however... i know from the ones in the club that the APC 8x9 on Prosynth 10% with a inch off the pipe will get over 20k, I wouldn't run a 8X10 IF i had a West because we found what works best down here already. the 8x10 dosnt have the same climb rate and for the U shapes they love down here climb is everything. we also have the designer fly here sometimes and he knows how to make it work.
I wanna know more about these YS 45's tho.. they seem very popular and close figures for a smaller engine.. whats the cost? web site??? Why have you loaded yours up when you can rev higher??

I'll never fly a Whiplash, over priced and over weight. I'd prefer to build my own. Tho if i ever got a chance i wouldn't turn it down

I must have misunderstood your previous postings about the west engine.
you said ,
"If only you'd have used the West 50 you wouldnt see that pesky Whiplash"

and on the other hand you don't have any of these engines, any of these airplanes (that haven't even flown, or someone else has crashed,)

I use 8x10's because our local hobby store had a huge sale on them, (I got 200 of them for $1) that's a sale!

you also said ,
"I wouldn't run a 8X10 IF i had a West because we found what works best down here already. the 8x10 dosnt have the same climb rate "
Do you really think the climb rate is that much different between a 8x9 and an 8x10 , ????especially going 150mph in a magnum or whiplash??????

Bottom line
you don't have any of these engines, any of these airframes, you probably haven't even seen a whiplash, except for what you've seen on the internet.

One question , ????
why are you posting on the thread I started about something you don't know nothing about, you have no experience with any of these engines/airplanes, how could you say ?
"If only you'd have used the West 50 you wouldnt see that pesky Whiplash" you don't even have any of these items.

Thanks for your expert knowledge about the whiplash/magnum/ys/west performace.

Here is another picture of my whiplash and magnum after actually flying them, and not knowing someone who does.

Cactus. 03-08-2003 01:36 PM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

why so fighty? i dont have to own one to know what the Magnums here will do.Thats 179 so far. Just throwing in another comparison

Never mind, cant be bothered with this anymore.

jetsett 03-08-2003 01:47 PM

????179?????
what mph, ???,
is this your whiplash that can do 179 or SOMEONE ELSES

I posted this thread about the whiplash/OS fx and the Magnum/ys.45 comparison. You decided to open your mouth and post a reply on my thread about another comparison with an engine that you don't even own, and and airplane you haven't even seen.

Tell me again why you have something knowledgeable to say about this thread?????
That's my point.

Next time be more considerate of someone else thread, and possesions, I am as proud of my airplanes as you are of your Magnum, and you haven't even flown yours yet.

Anything else you want to say about something you don't know about ????
Your a self appointed know it all!!!!
Case in point!!
quote""
"If only you'd have used the West 50 you wouldnt see that pesky Whiplash "

You don't have a whiplash or a west 50, nor even flown them at the same time, so how do you know,..???

That sounds self appointed to me

wildnloose 03-08-2003 02:59 PM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

Now now, everybody back into your corners...

Acetumper1, I don't think Phillybaby is trying to get you all worked up..he's just giving you his opinion based on what he has seen (he does not have to own it to know what it can do...). Just check out the movies on the web site.

Anyway there is a guy at my field who bought a used Magnum that had an os 46 on it (he wanted to get used to it before he equipped it with a better motor). Then he bought a new one with the West 50 motor with pipe, now the plane is a completely different animal (read as there was a considerable speed difference). I have never laughed so hard (read he was shaking all over when landed that plane, and I use the term "land" loosely). Needless to say, the Magnum w/West 50 has been temporarily retired for now (of course I offered to take it off his hands for free).

I don't have any numbers (read as we really don't care too much about the numbers around here....we just go and have fun...). I did try to tach the new Magnum but the guy put it up and won't let me touch it (says its too dangerous....:))

I'm sure the Whiplash can fly faster than the Magnum if equipped right (and if you believe the posts in this forum), and I bet money that if you equipped both planes with the same engine you will have similar performance (uh oh...sounds like I'm delving into aerodynamics here).
Now bear in mind that I do not own neither plane you mentioned, I only put in my 2 cents from what I saw(experienced).

evan-RCU 03-08-2003 04:12 PM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

acetumper, down boy!!!! While Phily might not have them he does know what he's talking about, his numbers and opinion of the weston .50 on the magnum are right on, and yes I have one. I prefer the APC 8x9 to the 8x10 as it pulls better on launch and I don't see a diffence paced against my friends Weston .50 and magnum, or paced agsinst one of the few Diamond Dusts we have. As for the Whiplash I haven't seen or flown one but the title of the thread, and by the way you don't own the thread, is why I looked at it, I'm always interested in seeing how different engines, props and airframes do.

jetsett 03-08-2003 04:20 PM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

Thanks for your objective reply wildnloose!

I don't care which airplane is faster or what engine has what!
I am only concerned about people replying to threads and "offering" their "opinion" on something they know nothing about! That's all!! That's it.

you said:

"I don't think Phillybaby is trying to get you all worked up..he's just giving you his opinion based on what he has seen (he does not have to own it to know what it can do...). Just check out the movies on the web site. "

He's giving his opinion based on what he's seen??
He's never even seen a whiplash, so how can he give his opinion on it.
As for the videos, ....I have hundreds of hours of jets and turbines on video, and I've got my own jets and turbines myself, do you see me on the jet thread telling everyone that there jets are slow, unless I had "this engine", and not even have that engine???
Does it matter anyways?? No it doesn't
I know which airplane is faster. If you read my post I think the magnum is better looking and faster than the whiplash. I am not worried about going faster than the magnum, they're both mine!!

Please read my initial post again. I wasn't trying to bash airplanes or engines. I posted my opinions with facts and specifications and told everyone what I thought, for everyone reading entertainment. As far as I know , on this website,. No one has flown a magnum and a whiplash together and have pictures to prove it as I do. So I thought it would be entertaining. THEN , some fool comes on here and replies, "

"If only you'd have used the West 50 you wouldnt see that pesky Whiplash "

That's all he typed.

He could have typed , "thanks for the contribution, and I enjoyed reading it." something positive would have been nice.,

NOPE!!

If only you'd have used the West 50 you wouldnt see that pesky Whiplash "

Does he have a whiplash? Does he have a whiplash on video?
Does he have a West 50?

I don't care!
I didn't put a posting on here for someone to bash.

I only thought it would be interesting for the extreme prop plane people to read about , since after all , these are two hot planes/topics on this bulletin board.

Just trying to put good reading and thoughts on RCU.

Never again!

jetsett 03-08-2003 04:29 PM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

Originally posted by evan
acetumper, down boy!!!! While Phily might not have them he does know what he's talking about, his numbers and opinion of the weston .50 on the magnum are right on, and yes I have one. I prefer the APC 8x9 to the 8x10 as it pulls better on launch and I don't see a diffence paced against my friends Weston .50 and magnum, or paced agsinst one of the few Diamond Dusts we have. As for the Whiplash I haven't seen or flown one but the title of the thread, and by the way you don't own the thread, is why I looked at it, I'm always interested in seeing how different engines, props and airframes do.
Thanks for your reply evan

I am not interested about "Philly's numbers". I didn't put a posting on here asking for someone's input about how the weston would do against a YS did I.?

Your always interested in seeing how different engines, props and airframes do. Well that's all I wanted to show, that's it.

jetsett 03-08-2003 04:34 PM

Weston war on RCU

For everyone wanting to reply and bash me for my posting.
PLEASE READ IT AGAIN.
I thought it was enjoying, and did not want to start a war! I just offered my opinion on two hot topics on this bulletin board.
PLEASE READ IT AGAIN!
I didn't say a word about WESTON
Why should I get a "bashing" reply?

RampRat 03-08-2003 06:12 PM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

Now if i could only get my hands on a 8x10-prop i'd settle this argument right now....

wildnloose 03-08-2003 06:32 PM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

Acetumper1,

FWIW I enjoyed your post!!!!!

And, believe it or not...I came to a similar conclusion about the Magnum's performance(I had compared a Magnum/os46 to s shrike/os46 and they were pretty much equal (read not enough difference to matter)). I guestimate the shrike in the 80-90mph range and the Magnum in the 100-120mph range. Of course both had bum motors on them.

Still, I have a tt46 thats looking for a home, and a Magnum arf for $110 is enticing to me, plus it looks good... now I just have to sneak it past the wifee.

Cactus. 03-08-2003 06:49 PM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

Lets try this again...
You can't be bashing the Magnum if you said it wins on looks, and that wasn't my point anyway.
Your trying to compare the two planes, not the engines. because of the engine difference you got a speed difference that closely matches the figures you gave. so the two airframes are well matched.
Now, to my first reply.. your Whiplash has a OS 46FX running a 8x10 at 15,800 which your Magnum with its faster engine is outrunning at 10-15 mph, The West 50 can run a little ( only a bit ) faster than that again giving you more advantage maybe 20mph to leave that particular Whiplash behind, The extra power and RPM on the bigger engine will also help it out climb it.
That doesn't mean a Magnum will outrun a Whiplash on a West 50. It's doesn't matter which plane had/has which engine, the engine with the more go on equal airframes will win

Now if you want to read the tone of my 1st reply again and pay attention to the :D you'll see it was meant in jest ( maybe my sense of humor is lost on you ) and not a bash at any bit of equipment or that someone has been lucky enough to go head to head. It would be interesting to see both using the same engine and see which is the more efficient flyer.
Phil out

Gricey 03-08-2003 06:49 PM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

Ramprat... love the new avatar. I'm very jealous. Would love to be able to get inflight pics like that. Was it a digital camera shot? how far out etc? Maybe if you have some good pics start a thread on in flight RC Photos.....

Just so no one razzs me out for posting to a thread off topic, my 2 cents is that they should rename the Whiplash a Whiplost. ;-)

Have a great day!

Windup boy

SJN 03-08-2003 08:45 PM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

I have a Topaz 46 (OS 46SF clone)

it is messured at about 160 km/h with a 9/7 which seemed to be the best prop.

SJ.

RampRat 03-09-2003 01:49 PM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

Originally posted by Gricey
Ramprat... love the new avatar. I'm very jealous. Would love to be able to get inflight pics like that. Was it a digital camera shot? how far out etc? Maybe if you have some good pics start a thread on in flight RC Photos.....

:D

Now if it only was a real photo...

So far, all attempts on taking a picture of the Magnum on a flyby has ended up with good tail-shots and even better landscapes...

...but with a little Photsohop-magic.... :rolleyes:

http://home.online.no/~graheg/radios...agnum-Fake.gif

;) ;) ;)

Cactus. 03-09-2003 05:13 PM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

OH!!!! it was that photo, i looked in your gallery to see where you did the photo shop yesterday ( same thing i'd have done ) but i didnt see one at the right angle so i gave you the benift of the doubt :D

Gricey 03-09-2003 09:32 PM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

Go son Ramprat... you are an inspiration.

Well worthy.......

If you have any tips on capturing footage of flying, please fire up a new thread and let me know, I'd be very interested in reading....

cheers

AtomicFrawg 03-10-2003 01:58 AM

Whiplash VS. Magnum

LOL
You are using a 8-10 on a 46fx?
try a 9x6.
Also if you want the whiplash to go fast Use a rossi 45 or a jett 50. prop both with 9x6 or 9x7. My rossi powered whiplash will do 180, no sweat and Ricks Jett 50 power whiplash is 200+. That magnum is no match , As long as you use the right prop and engine combo.

Later
Chris