RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   New Quick (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/6114180-new-quick.html)

bbagle1 07-15-2007 02:50 PM

New Quick

i just purchased the new quick from soaringusa.com and as this is my first plane built for speed I am wondering if anyone has any building or setup tips. i have the Neu Motors 1105/2.5, captain 45 esc, hites slim 8 receiver, 3 hs55's, and 2200 mah battery. What type of speeds can I expect? Prop is apc 4.1x4.1 Has anyone flown this plane? Thanks for any help you can offer

MJD 07-16-2007 12:45 PM

RE: New Quick

ORIGINAL: bbagle1

i just purchased the new quick from soaringusa.com and as this is my first plane built for speed I am wondering if anyone has any building or setup tips. i have the Neu Motors 1105/2.5, captain 45 esc, hites slim 8 receiver, 3 hs55's, and 2200 mah battery. What type of speeds can I expect? Prop is apc 4.1x4.1 Has anyone flown this plane? Thanks for any help you can offer
My advice is to ditch the HS-55's right away and put some tougher micro servos in there. With the control loads at speed the HS-55'swill be hard pressed to hold up. Dymond D-60s (20 oz-in) rock for these types of aircraft, there are other choices too. HS-55's are okay for parkie electrics and light duty 1/2A use, but beyond that you are asking too much - while they have reasonable torque, the gear train is very light duty and not made for this type of service as far as I am concerned.

MJD

bbagle1 07-16-2007 01:53 PM

would hs-65's work ok? I can get them locally. where do you get dymond servo's?

MJD 07-16-2007 02:40 PM

ORIGINAL: bbagle1

would hs-65's work ok? I can get them locally. where do you get dymond servo's?
If they fit, yes they'll do the job very well. You can get them or the Dymonds from the same place as the aircraft. Maybe ask them what they know about servo fit if you are not sure.

MJD

Airbike 07-16-2007 11:05 PM

I've had a couple of these. I think they are the best electric speed bang for the buck.

I used the same Neu 1105/2.5 on TP 3S2100 Prolites. 4.5x4.1 is a good prop after you get used to the 4.1x4.1

Speeds will probably range from 130 to 150mph depending on the battery.

I used HS55's in my first Quick (which was also my first speed electric plane) and they worked fine, til I lost sight of the plane on one late summer evening....

My current Quick uses a pair of Dymond D47 for the ailerons and a HS-56 (I think) for the elev.

Tips: Make sure you do not set the T-tail with up incidence or you will end up using a LOT of down elev to fly straight.

Launching: Throw it straight out, slightly up, I like to launch at about 2/3 throttle and let it pick up speed before going to full throttle. Others launch at full throttle. Personal preference. Give it a good hard, but straight, throw.

The Quick will snap on you if you try to launch at too slow of an airspeed. I call it the "horizontal torque roll" as the motor will quickly roll the plane. If you get too slow on landing approach, add throttle SLOOOOOOWLY as sudden full throttle when the plane is slow will also get you the "horizontal torque roll"

Landing: I can dial in some flaperons (both ailerons down) and the plane will slow waaay down and land at your feet.

If you lose sight of it in the air, go to 1/4 throttle and hold up elev to do a series of loops..this will give you the best chance of spotting it again.

Now, when you get good and hooked on speed electrics, check out the F5D pylon planes. In my opinion, they are easier to launch, easier to see, easier to fly as they are much smoother, also much faster (some have been setup for over 200mph)
They are a bit more $$$$ so not recomended as first intro to speed electric.

Even though I'm only about 10 minutes from SoaringUSA, I must resist the urge to stop by and chat with Bob, otherwise, I'll always be broke. Just ask if you have any questions.

Dan