RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   I think i might have lost my mind.... (Magnum with retracts?) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/615043-i-think-i-might-have-lost-my-mind-magnum-retracts.html)

RampRat 03-10-2003 11:58 PM

I think i might have lost my mind.... (Magnum with retracts?)

After reading the thread about landing gear on the Magnum, and seeing the photoshop-picture of how it would look, i got tempted...

Wheels do have their advantages, but drag caused by them is not one of them...

Now... After checking the dimensions on retracts and poking the wing with a needle to see how thick it is, i decided that it's dooable. It will take quite a lot of modifications to the wing, fuselage, and the general setup of things, but it's dooable.

Updates will follow.. :D

Silly me 03-11-2003 06:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ok

I was the one who wanted LG on my magnum, I took a pic of it and see if I can post it, but retracts?? where do you put them??

I checked the wing there is no space for small retracts my magnum's got a foam wing!!

and if I and a retractable nose wheel where do I put my tank!!
I made mine a tail dragger. Not the best idea, and its not a 200mph plane anymore but its still that fastest prop plane at our club so I'm sort of happy

Cactus. 03-11-2003 11:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
YESYESYES, tell me how....
i wouldn't dare do it to a Maggers, but i have a spare wing and tail set, i want a hawk looking thing that is sport power with a 36, i miss having a PLANE!!! so to solve the nose wheel its a pusher. i looked at my wing but hadn't poked it yet. what UC retracts will fit and how????

tank and pump is doable for a Magnum tho

RampRat 03-11-2003 03:53 PM

Originally posted by Silly me
ok

I was the one who wanted LG on my magnum, I took a pic of it and see if I can post it, but retracts?? where do you put them??

I checked the wing there is no space for small retracts my magnum's got a foam wing!!

and if I and a retractable nose wheel where do I put my tank!!
I made mine a tail dragger. Not the best idea, and its not a 200mph plane anymore but its still that fastest prop plane at our club so I'm sort of happy

Yes the wing is foam, so i cut it, support it with some hard wood, and glass it (the short-story that is).

The nose-leg will be put at the rear side of the firewall, and the fueltank will be replaced with one that is lower and longer.There is quite a lot of unused space under the fueltank, so by replaceing the tank there will be enough room for the retractable nose-leg.

The main wheels will retract towards the fuselage, and will be flush with the elevated area on the underside of the wing (Boeing 737-style)

Originally posted by phillybaby
YESYESYES, tell me how....
i wouldn't dare do it to a Maggers, but i have a spare wing and tail set, i want a hawk looking thing that is sport power with a 36, i miss having a PLANE!!! so to solve the nose wheel its a pusher. i looked at my wing but hadn't poked it yet. what UC retracts will fit and how????

tank and pump is doable for a Magnum tho

Robart 602/600's should fit without to much problem. Mechanical retracts with one servo operating all three gears.

To make more room available in the mid-section of the wing and fuselage, the aileron-servo will be replaced with two servos in the wing (these super-low profile wing-servos)...

The fibreglass-canopy has come off, and this will be the new access-hatch. The wing will be fixed to the fuselage.

Cactus. 03-11-2003 04:07 PM

Theres also allot of wasted space above the tank, but with it too high you may get flooding problems.
Taking the lid off isn't that hard. making it look good afterwards is, I'm currently on that stage with Project Magnum and the filler to make it smooth didn't work as wanted, but some pva on the wood before refilling and some wax on the tape around the canopy should sort that on the next try.
However, for what i want do do with a sport Hawk body i wont have these problems. Keep me updated with the retracts in the wing, how you reinforce etc because i've got a couple of planes to finish before i start another :D
I'd also come to the conclusion it had to be 737 style, even going as far as to make them retract in line at an angle. i think I'm gonna have to work out a simple door for the inner bit, like full size.
a 90 degree twist and retract will make the nose easier, tho i guess you cant control steering then:(

PS.. Silly YOU, whats all that green stuff around the tarmac:p perfect Magnum landing space is what it is, saving it from that shameful UC you torture it with :D

RampRat 03-11-2003 06:11 PM

...and is that a rudder i'm seeing back there?

*Making notes for future additions to the project*

Rudder would be nice for those 10 knot crosswind landings.....

Cactus. 03-12-2003 06:18 PM

i saw that rudder too, but in my horror i couldn't bring my self to reply :D
RampRat: are 602/600's enough? there only 1/8th wire, and rated to 5lbs.. a Magnum might weigh that much, but not when its deadstick lol
would 608's fit in the wing?

RampRat 03-12-2003 08:19 PM

I know the wire is a bit on the thin side, but it's the only ones i've found that will fit. I couldn't find any dimensions on the 608's, but if they are any bigger than the 600's they'll be to big to fit inside the wing.

Cactus. 03-12-2003 10:10 PM

http://www.robart.com/retracts/5-10lb.html
28mm i think is the important number, must be too big???
3/4" on the other so... umm yes. think i may have to reinforce with "scale ;)" pneumatics and hinge points ( aka more piano wire:D)
I just thought of "scale" blisters in the top wing surface for hiding the top of the retract body