RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Tuned Pipe for Y.S. 45 SE (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/6185778-tuned-pipe-y-s-45-se.html)

OldRookie 08-01-2007 09:27 PM

Tuned Pipe for Y.S. 45 SE

I am going to put a tuned pipe on my Y.S. 45 SE in a Nitro Models Bobcat pusher jet.
I was thinking of buying the Macs Quiet pipe 1050(8.5cc), so I could get performance and a broader range of RPM. This pipe is owned by a friend and I could get a good price on it.
Would the Macs Quiet Pipe 1040 (7.5cc) be a better choice? I would have to order this one for about $30.00 more. The range overlaps.
What would be the difference between the 2 pipes on the Y.S. 45 SE?
I want to get a good speed without loosing any more of the take off performance than I would have to.
What is a good prop to start with on this set up?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Greg

Razor-RCU 08-01-2007 10:25 PM

RE: Tuned Pipe for Y.S. 45 SE

I am not familiar with this ship but I have seen a few fly. I typically recommend the 8.5CC pipe for the YS-45 although I would wait for Bob27 or someone to confirm. Seemed to me the greater volume of the 8.5 allowed a bit bigger prop. to be run- The Combat Models F-16N was BIG, maybe 8 lbs. and we always ran the 8.5CC

Do you have a header already? I have a few pipes, one being a Macs pipe's (7.5cc I believe) that I would be willing to give you if you need one or if you wanna test the 2 together.

Run Powermaster 20% and YS or OS-F style plug ;)

OldRookie 08-02-2007 11:30 AM

Razor,

I have a header for this engine. I was going to build a moose can pipe for this engine and never did.
That is a generous offer. Thanks. If you have a 7.5cc pipe you don't need, PM me and we can work something out.
I would like to compare the 2 pipes, so I may also buy the pipe from my friend.
I just didn't want to get into tuning problems with the wrong pipe.
Does anyone have any prop suggestions?
Why the OS-F plug over the #8?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

bob27s 08-03-2007 10:11 AM

I haven't set up a YS45 in a bunch of years..... but either the 7.5 or 8.5 pipe will work well.

For speed, you probably would want the 7.5 size. Just because its physically smaller and a bit lighter... and you will be setting it shorter (The 8.5 has a longer front end)

still4given 08-03-2007 01:08 PM

How about a [link=http://www.westonuk.co.uk/index_090.htm]Weston Bobcat pipe[/link]? They will custom make the plate end to fit your YS. It's a very cool setup on a Bobcat.

Blessings, Terry

OldRookie 08-05-2007 04:14 PM

still4given

I saw the Weston pipe you mentioned.
I purchased one of their pipes for an OS 46FX (Weston Throttle Pipe), and was disappointed in the performance. For the money I paid I didn't think the Weston pipe was even close to being a good investment. The $10.00 Tower muffler produced more performance from the OS 46FX than the $120.00 Weston muffler/pipe.
I'm not saying that the Bobcat pipe isn't any good, but after the experience I had with my first Weston pipe I purchased, I just can't see putting that much into another of their products.

Thanks anyway,
Greg

KC36330 08-06-2007 08:09 AM

ORIGINAL: OldRookie

..........I purchased one of their pipes for an OS 46FX ......and was disappointed in the performance.

That's because you put the pipe on an OS FX (a torque engine), if you'd of put it on an RPM performance engine such as the OS SX or your YS you'd of loved their pipes. I've used several of them on OS heli SX engines and they are near the top in performance.

kc

still4given 08-06-2007 10:39 AM

Hi OldRookie,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with the Weston pipe. I did not recommend it out of experience, as I have not yet owned one, but I have heard good things from folks who have used them and have considered buying one for my Bobcat. It might be that if you talk to the guys at Weston and tell them what RPM range you want to run they may be able to match you up.

Blessings, Terry

OldRookie 08-06-2007 01:08 PM

KC36330,

The Weston throttle pipe is specifically made for increasing performance on fun fly/3D planes. That is why I specificaly mentioned that it was a throttle pipe in my original post. This pipe isn't made for top rpm. A throttle pipe will give an increase in performance over a standard muffler, and gives the engine linear throttleability, (non-peaky) as required in 3D and funfly.

You are thinking of the Weston mini pipe that just increases performance on the top end. Believe it or not I know what I am doing. I am just assuming people that stick money into increasing performance of their engines have some idea of what they are buying. When I don't know I ask people in these forums, and make my decisions on the information I get here. My purchase for the OS 46FX was the correct Weston pipe for what I intended it for.

As long as we are on the Weston Bobcat pipe, does anyone actually own one of these pipes? I would like to hear some actual experience with this pipe. I'll ask at the Bobcat thread in the Jet forum also if anyone is interested in replies to this question.

I still need some propeller suggestions for the piped YS 45SE engine (11 X 7?), and why would an OS F plug be used instead of a #8 plug? I remember hearing this a few years back but can't remember the reason.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

still4given 08-06-2007 01:54 PM

Hi OldRookie,

I know that a couple of guys mentioned ordering the Weston Bobcat pipe on the thread in the Jet forum. I don't know if they have had a chance to try it yet. I Posed the question there because I am interested in it. I am running a Tower .75 on mine so I already have a Tower muffler. It is quite loud.

When I used to run a piped YS 45, I believe I used a 10x7 or 10x8. I am running an 11x7 pusher on my TH 75 and it moves along pretty well. I'm not sure if the YS can quite match the 75 though. The problem is that you are a bit limited on sizes in the pusher props.

Blessings, Terry

Razor-RCU 08-06-2007 04:02 PM

Oldrookie- Yeah I cannot remember the reason for the "F" plug either...sorry. I was hoping Bob27 would answer that--- The 10x8 is definitely the sweet-spot for the YS-45 but it seems you will need 11" on the Bobcat. That is why I suggested the 8.5 pipe not the 7.5cc