RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Club Diamond Dust Build Project (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/6411380-club-diamond-dust-build-project.html)

Spoiler 09-25-2007 08:25 AM

Club Diamond Dust Build Project

1 Attachment(s)
Our club had a building day recently and we cutparts for 8 or 9 DD's. So far 4 have flown and I have attached pics of two of them. Mine is the cammo edition and is powered with a GMS 47 on a Yusa pipe with an APC 10/6. Covering is solartex painted with Tamiya car paint and harware store laquer covered with 2k automotive paint. The other one belongs to a friend and is covered with Glosstex. A Magnum 52 and Yusa pipe provides the power.

daven 09-25-2007 09:32 AM

RE: Club Diamond Dust Build Project

Great Idea, they look good.

combatpigg 09-25-2007 10:11 PM

You guys rock! What a great club you must have, pretty rare to see that much cooperation and common interest.

twigster 09-28-2007 03:14 AM

no kidding! most of the guys in my club hide behind something when you bust out a Diamond Dust! haha, just kiddin'...sorta...

Spoiler 10-01-2007 08:52 AM

Ran our airshow this Sunday and had about 5 Dusts in the air at once trying to cut the toilet paper. Needless to say it was mayhem and trying to fly a tiny delta at 300 m range was testing to say the least. The mock pylon racing in close was far more fun and interesting to see the difference engine/pipe tuning made to the speed attained. Mine went form mild to wild after I shortened the header and did some machining on the header inlet. This plane is ridiculous fun for the money and a real crowd pleaser.

OzMo 10-02-2007 11:01 PM

sounds good!

balsa 4 bucks
carbon shafts 4 bucks each
covering 12 bucks
8 or 9 DDs and a couple of pylons....PRICELESS:D:D

Spoiler 10-05-2007 05:51 AM

ORIGINAL: OzMo

sounds good!

balsa 4 bucks
carbon shafts 4 bucks each
covering 12 bucks
8 or 9 DDs and a couple of pylons....PRICELESS:D:D
Down here thinsg are a tad more pricey unfortunatley - more like around US$ 70, but still cheap in our terms...

Goinstraightup 10-09-2007 10:33 AM

Those look great!!! I have flown a friends DD and really like it. I have a set of plans, instructions, and materials list. Considering building one.

n8rloves2fly 05-28-2014 06:49 PM

Looking for parts,rib templates ect? Anyone!,

combatpigg 05-28-2014 09:08 PM

I built my first DD from build thread photos posted here.
No plans, just a basic layout drawn on the building table.
It turned out just as fast and durable as the one that was blessed by the pope.
It is an ingenious use of very little material to convert 1 to 2 HP into some impressive speed and a lot of fun.

n8rloves2fly 05-29-2014 03:24 AM

Im not sure how lay out ribs? The rest I could get. How thick to make the diamond and where to put the thickest part?

combatpigg 05-29-2014 11:03 AM

8% thick or so.
Figure on enough depth on the center ribs to accomodate your servos, battery, RX. The classic DD has the fuel tank semi exposed.
The only rib you need to lay out is the one at mid span. On your full sized drawing, figure out how long it will be, then make the high point about 8% of the rib's length. The high point should be about 30 to 40% back from the leading edge.
Little 1/8" thick plywood corner braces wrapped with thread and glue help tie the structure together. The fiberglass kite tubes really take CA glue well after they have been hit with fine sandpaper.
I make the mid span ribs out of 1/4 thick balsa. The center ribs can be made from 1/8" lite ply or "door skin" that you can get at a lumber yard.
There was a guy here known as "Da Screw" who was posting a new DD every week. He must have posted dozens. Try looking him up for more details. I'm pretty sure he did a build thread that shows his methods. He has some very cool looking covering schemes to look at too.

combatpigg 05-29-2014 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found this after a little bit of hunting.
I like more wood at the tips for strength than what is shown here.
Over at RCG he signs on as "Screw"

n8rloves2fly 05-29-2014 01:06 PM

Guess I'll give it a try. Not sure if I want 40la speed or Dubb jet speed. I'm thinking somthing a little mild? Long flight times.

combatpigg 05-29-2014 02:00 PM

If the engine has a throttle, then you get to decide. The OS LA .40 with a mousse can pipe can put out pretty good power and it's a light engine.