RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Engine Shopping (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/6572158-engine-shopping.html)

mmattockx 11-02-2007 03:06 PM

Engine Shopping

My local hobby shop is having a sale on some engines and I wanted to see what the group thought was the best choice/value.

Super Tigre G45 ABC - $65
Super Tigre G51 Ring - $80
Thunder Tiger 46 Pro ABC - $110

Use will be Q500 or delta type sport speed aircraft with no racing or serious speed expected. I am thinking that whichever one I buy, I will probably spring for a Jett muffler for that extra kick. Let me know which one you would buy and why.

Thanks,
Mark

paulhenley 11-02-2007 03:36 PM

RE: Engine Shopping

if your gonna buy one of the three get the supertiger G51,

they are Itallian engines and performance is incredible for price, i had an old one in a 25size delta, swinging a apc 9*8, it was ballistic (on stock muffler). The motor had a flawlwess idle and unbelieveable on top end (talk about a screamer, even when not on a small prop) if anything the mid range wasn't great but that was likely just down to me not being bothered enough to tune it on the pick up. Top end, i never needed to fiddle with as it was always perfect, with the motor always starting off a flick. The G51 in the delta was fitted in to a 35/40 size mount, which makes the motor tiny for it's performance. The muffler is really good because of it's adjustability regarding to how it sitts, it is big and ugly but does a superb job plus could easly be changed for a pipe.

i have a thundertiger 40gp, and it's not a performance engine, (the carb and muffler are that of a 25size) the motor isn't brillaint on compression, but runns and plodds on great in a trainer

i'd get the G51, all singing and dancing from my view will not dissappoint at all, espeicaly for speed

henley

Cyclic Hardover 11-02-2007 03:41 PM

All three are fine

Mike Connor 11-02-2007 04:00 PM

My only experience out of the three is with the TT Pro 46. I bought my first one awhile back and am impressed in all respects. My very first tank had a peak rpm of 16,200 with a 9x7 APC. I understand they respond well to a tuned muffler. The Super Tigre may also be good but for some reason they are not popular around here.

You have seen a delta video with a pure stock TT Pro 46. Add a tuned muffler and figure out the best prop and watch out.

vicman 11-02-2007 04:09 PM

The TT will ingest the rear bearing cage over 16500. Otherwise is a solid engine.

Mike Connor 11-02-2007 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: vicman

The TT will ingest the rear bearing cage over 16500. Otherwise is a solid engine.
That is not a fair statement to say it well ingest a rear bearing...
After you and one other person said that I went to the many many TT Pro reviews here on RCU and bearing problems are rare. The TT Pro 40 is the most popular 424 engine in the country running over 16,500 rpm with a 9x6 and if bearings were a real problem they would change to another engine. I run mine over 16,500 without problems. Saying it well is kind of like saying always and never. Those are my thoughts. :D

vertical grimmace 11-02-2007 06:05 PM

I think you should check those prices. The TT is about $20.00 over what Tower has and the Super Tigres are the same as Tower. Not really a sale if you ask me.
I think all of them are good engines though.

Just noticed the Canada thing. I do not know how that effects things.

samtech 11-02-2007 06:38 PM

ST GS-45 abc for sure. I've got one that pulled an LR-1 to 140 on the radar. I haven't had good luck with the 51. I've had three and they have all sucked. If you can get an Italian one it might be better but the chinese 51 was nothing but trouble. One had a flaw in the deck and would not seal to the head for anything... another wasn't machined very well and tore up the piston on break in and the final one broke the ring up and the pieces got under the con rod and blew a hole right through the bottom.... Other people have had great luck with them but I did not. The Thundertiger is a really good engine for the price. A couple of my buddys out at the flying feild have them and have nothing bad to say.

gsoav8r 11-02-2007 07:03 PM

I cant say anything nice about Super Tigers. Ive seen a few to many that wouldnt hold a tune over the duration of a flying day. Or couldnt be tuned out of the box. But at the same time I know a few people that swear by them and I even got their input with little or no resolve.
Ive never had any issues with TT Pros that Ive tuned for friends.
Cheers.

jeffk464 11-02-2007 07:06 PM

I have a super tiger 2300 that is nothing but trouble, go for the TT or an OS.

vicman 11-02-2007 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike,
When you have one that has less than 20 flights swig some bearing parts I suspect the tune will change from you too. Here is a visual for you.
Note, the question was about the .46 not the .40. With a 9x6n in the .46 you will see rpms well over the 16.5K mark and there is where plugs and bearings begin to have issues.
The fast guys running 424 that I know change the bearing to avoid problems. I wonder why?:eek:
Also I didn't kick sand at the engine at all. I like the several that I own, just there is a problem with the bearing.

Not my opinion but my experience[sm=what_smile.gif]

mmattockx 11-02-2007 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

I think you should check those prices. The TT is about $20.00 over what Tower has and the Super Tigres are the same as Tower. Not really a sale if you ask me.
I think all of them are good engines though.

Just noticed the Canada thing. I do not know how that effects things.
The shipping gets out of hand from the US, unfortunately.

As for the ST issues, I have a G40 ringed that worked fine in an Ultimate Kaos 40 until it got shot down one day. Never an issue, ran fine, needled fine. I still have a ST 45 ABC in the box as well, and will run it with no qualms. So, I guess you could say I am a ST fan.

I mostly wanted to see if anybody had anything to add about the TT46 Pro being much better than the ST. At the $65 price for the 45, I think that is where I will go. I like ABC engines for higher rpm operation, so that is a plus. I may pick up a 51 as well to see for myself (I have seen mixed reviews at best on them), but I really only need one more at the moment.

Thanks for the input everyone,
Mark

Mike Connor 11-03-2007 12:10 AM

Mike,
When you have one that has less than 20 flights swig some bearing parts I suspect the tune will change from you too.
Not my opinion but my experience[sm=what_smile.gif]
My experience is that my TT Pro 46 and the many others around here don't have many bearing problems. Wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers but didn't think a blanket statement was fair. I had two 46 FX engines peel in 30 days. I couldn't say they all peel. I am ready to let this go so have a good night. :)

Crazy4Flight 11-03-2007 08:20 AM

I fleww a ST.51 for some time great motor (italian made) put a new ring into and gave it life.

One thing is te factor glow plug is good for about 2 months then you loose midrange.

Now it is time to install an OS #8 glow plug.

also with ST you can tune the muffer by sliding in or out on the exaust stack.

bob27s 11-03-2007 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Mike Connor

That is not a fair statement to say it well ingest a rear bearing...
After you and one other person said that I went to the many many TT Pro reviews here on RCU and bearing problems are rare. The TT Pro 40 is the most popular 424 engine in the country running over 16,500 rpm with a 9x6 and if bearings were a real problem they would change to another engine. I run mine over 16,500 without problems. Saying it well is kind of like saying always and never. Those are my thoughts. :D
I agree with that. Many hrs on the TT40pro engines without any bearing failure. The TT46 I have is only sport flown, but ive run it a great deal with the jett muffler well over 16,000 on the test stand and in flight. Of course there could be incidents and others have reported problems. Ive personally not run into or seen such a failure.

More directly to the question....
Unless Thunder Tiger has had a price increase lately....... I think I paid under $90 for the TT46pro last winter (local hobby store).
The ST prices are good deals ....

Any of those engines would be a good investment. I have not had any problems with the ST engines that were not easily resolved during setup/breakin... and the run quite well.

rmenke 11-04-2007 04:43 PM

mmattockx:

Great advice above. I have had hundreds of hous of great flying with the ST acquired almost if not free. Always a club guy that just cant get one running correctly and gives or sells cheep along with lots of bad mouthing. (Same type guy that must adjust his needle valve every flight) I take them home, tear down & clean, check needle valve spray bar for correct alignemt, replace plug, install in disposable fun thing and fly after fine tuning. Have never had any problem with one with very good running experience. Most new engine problems are plug or air leak related, also spray bar in carb incorrectly, set along with way off idle and needle settings and generally run too lean. I have had more problems with OS cylinders pealing and bearings than any other brand. Their new 4 bolt head design will end badly, I think. Some people never learn to listen to what the engines are telling them, tone deaf I guess. There is a occasional factory goof from anyone, the problem is usually obvious and should be sent back for repair or replacement. Any new engine deserves T L C breakin and re-torque with a torque wrench. You will reap the rewards in a strong running engine.

vicman 11-05-2007 10:38 AM

For future refrence I will ammend my comment to "are prone to" instead of will.;)

buzzingb 11-05-2007 01:39 PM

I have the ST 51 and TT46 and I would go with the TT46 for sure. The 51 is a great sport engine but doesn't like to wind up like the Thunder Tiger 46 with tuned muffler. The 51 will pull a slightly larger prop to get the power out of her but the TT46 likes to wind up and will run for years and years at any rpm if kept adjusted properly. However, I must say I haven't changed mufflers on the 51 and that may make a tremendous difference. The liner in the ST51 is steen and that is rock solid.