RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Scat Cat pic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/6624884-scat-cat-pic.html)

lear31A 11-14-2007 03:47 PM

Scat Cat pic

1 Attachment(s)
I am finally getting around to building the Scat Kat. I have no idea how it will fly, but I am tired of seeing it sit in the corner. Anyone else have one?

bob27s 11-14-2007 03:56 PM

RE: Scat Cat pic

I probably build a dozen of those over the years. I still have one left.... used for fun flying and occational combat... right now flying with an old ST29 for power.

Design flys great. Was the Q-500 'standard' for a number of years. Good, stable, reliable, and pretty tough.

Make sure to fiberglass the firewall onto the airframe.

Glass above and below the torque rod entry on the ailerons - inch wide is fine... and be sure to epoxy the torque rod tails into the ailerons during assembly.

I recommend not using the forward wing dowels. Add a pair of bolts. 10-24 size is fine. If you stay with dowels, it should be ok... just do not do many agressive outside loops.

Tends to come out noseheavy with current type ABC 40-46 size engines. Keep that in mind with battery/servo placement.

CG set at 2.3"

Not much else ... enjoy it !

lear31A 11-14-2007 03:58 PM

Awesome info, Thanks. I figured it will be a fun sport plane and very easy to build.

jeffk464 11-14-2007 06:34 PM

I just crashed my sonic 500(same thing) because I was having too much fun. They are an absolute blast to fly, you should really enjoy it.

rednekk58 11-14-2007 07:24 PM

Just thought I'd add my $.02. Had a few in the late 80's, flew them on .40's. Quick with a .40 and very aerobatic. Just flew it for sport. Lost one once, when it flew out of vision.
Couldn't tel what it was doing, just a black dot. Spun it into woods and never found it.
Have FUN
Al

lukenorris 11-15-2007 02:12 PM

Looks good!

MJD 11-15-2007 10:27 PM

ORIGINAL: bob27s

I probably build a dozen of those over the years. I still have one left.... used for fun flying and occational combat... right now flying with an old ST29 for power.

Design flys great. Was the Q-500 'standard' for a number of years. Good, stable, reliable, and pretty tough.
Bob (or whoever) ,

I have a good flying buddy (and good buddy in general!) with limited budget who wants to fly a little faster and more aggressively than the sport fare he has now. I have two Doddger kits, which from all appearances build into pretty much the same aircraft as a Scat Cat, though I think perhaps a couple of mph faster based purely on the fact that it is a more recent design. Anyhow, the question: purely qualitatively, what are your thoughts sort of performance could you expect on a 15 or more year old OS Max .35 in nearly new shape? My guess is it would still be a spirited flier with plenty of power, albeit no race aircraft. He's a decent flier but pretty much straight ahead flying style, so with dual rates and moderate control throws I thought this would be a good package for uppng his adrenaline level. We could mount regular foamy tires to start too.. training wheels if it were.

MJD

daven 11-15-2007 10:41 PM

We were able to just clip 100 mph with Doddgers and an O.S. .25FX so I think your .35 would do just fine for fun, fast, sport flying.

MJD 11-16-2007 07:41 AM

ORIGINAL: daven

We were able to just clip 100 mph with Doddgers and an O.S. .25FX so I think your .35 would do just fine for fun, fast, sport flying.
Great, thanks Dave. About what I figured, so I think we'll go ahead and do just that!

MJD

lear31A 11-16-2007 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
With your advice, I placed the elevator servo behind the wing. Hopefully, this will help the nose heavy situation. Thanks

Barticusmax 12-01-2007 07:44 AM

Well??? Is it done yet Huh?? Huh?? Is it????????????????????????
What motor???
I am not normally a patient person, but mine is taking quite a while, I am a wee intimidated by the Jett QM I have for mine, must be gettin old :)