RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   What’s your one favorite 45 to 55 engine? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/6733072-what%E2%80%99s-your-one-favorite-45-55-engine.html)

freakingfast 12-09-2007 03:27 AM

What’s your one favorite 45 to 55 engine?

What’s your one favorite 45 to 55 engine?

State the engine and the general reason you like it.
List the plane it’s on, prop& rpm, fuel brand & % nitro, type of exhaust, glow plug…...
Necessary fixes, mods or tips or shortcomings.

I’ll go first.
My favorite is the YS 45 RE (rear exhaust).
I have yet to find its equal on a delta. It has a high ground rpm for a given prop but where it realy shines is in the sky were it unloads like no other. For years I’ve used 15% fuel because I thought there was no way it could be improved upon and based on feeble gains with higher nitro percentages in the past with other engines. I had some 30% that my TT39 or OS 46 VX DF likes on hand so what the heck, give it a try. Well, you know there are those rare times you get those total surprises? It gained over 1000 on the ground and in the air it was even more shocking. I did loose flight time because the needle needed to be opened, so I reset my timer from 6 minutes to 5 with an 8oz, tank. The other pleasant surprise is the #8 glow plug life is still fantastic.

I have a few of these engines now, and found out that if one engine feels like the compression is low compared to the others, don’t write it off. Bench test it, you may find no difference in power out-put and it may last for years. Bearings seem to be a much bigger factor in performance. (Surprise again!) When it’s time to replace the stock bearing, I use hybrid chrome steel/ceramic bearings in the rear and quality conventional bearings up front. The bearings I always use are class 3, have poly (plastic) retainers and bearing chrome steel races, 440c stainless races are too soft for my liking. The bearing combo chosen I believe has the best compromise for impact, corrosion resistance and cost.

An APC 9x9 prop @ 16,500 on 15% and 17,500+ on 30% Powermaster. I don’t know who makes my muffled tuned pipes. It kind of looks like a Macs nitro (boat) pipe with a bulged high point but the end is flat with a 1¼” long stinger. I found my supply of them at a swap meet.

When all is right it will idle like a tame OS and transition perfectly. The carb doesn’t have a low speed adjustment like the big 4 strokes. The low speed mixture therefore must be set using the fuel pressure adjustment. This works fine until carburetor housing wares out around the throttle barrel allowing more fuel to enter at low speeds resulting a lower fuel pressure setting, so much so that the engine can’t be adjusted to receive enough fuel at full throttle. To correct this, the carb housing needs to be replaced or the throttle barrel can be built up with electroless nickel plating. Luckily this may not happen for many hundreds of flights but will occur sooner if you get dirt in the carb, so remove and clean the throttle barrel and bore if you do.

The high speed needle ratchet has a tendency to break or weaken. Just remove it and slide a large silicone fuel line over both the needle and needle housing. This is needed on Webra 55s too.

Like the YS 4 strokes, the 45 uses a pressurized system and needs some special attention that isn’t mentioned in the instructions.
A HAYES fuel tank should be used, the stoppers used on other tanks can pop out under pressure.
To fill or drain the tank you need to vent the tank between the check valve and tank, than fill between the filter and tank. Reconnect both lines as before when done.
Make sure there's room on the sides, top & bottom of the HAYES fuel tank, as it pressurizes and grows it can break formers.
Don't put your finger over the carb to prime, the diaphragm in the pump could be damaged.
Use only YS after-run oil, other oils could damage the diaphragm and seals in the pump.
Yes, you need two quality filters.

The SE (side exhaust) version is capable of the same performance with aftermarket an exhaust. The stock muffler holds it back to the power level of a common 46 size engine.

Now for the bad news, they haven’t been made for a few years. The good news is they pop up all the time on EBay and here on RCU. YS still sells the parts through distributors.

Today I just purchased my 6th and final YS 45 RE right here on RCU so I won’t be bidding against you. So I desided to “let the cat out of the bag” about this great little engine.

Crazy4Flight 12-09-2007 09:56 AM

RE: What’s your one favorite 45 to 55 engine?

To get up and GO JETT .50 is the way to go! I own several, lost count, of these in side and rear exaust. Set them up right a tad rich on the ground and in the air the really perform. Hand made, American quality, parts, service, and technical help are right here. One was sold to a friend on an F-20, one went AWOL on a Whiplash, one had to be rebuilt after trying to tunnel its way to Australia. And the two BSE just look so kool............

For a general sport engine I like the OS .46FX

OS .46FX for about $100.00 you get a quality great running motor you don't have to fool with. After break in set the needles and leave them alone for the whole season. IF you pipe it, and run the snot out of it, a new piston and liner can be bought and installed.

russm 12-09-2007 10:18 AM

the jett sj60lx on a h-9 u stick, 10x6 prop,15% nitro. also like the os 55ax and 46ax with a jett muffler.

freakingfast 12-09-2007 10:21 AM

I had a JETT BSE 50 FIRE 3 years ago. Judging by the success of others, perhaps the one I had was a rare dud. Yes they are the coolest looking and service from what I read is the best out there. A friend and model engine collector just had to buy it from me for his static display.

Crazy4Flight 12-09-2007 10:34 AM

too bad the limit was set at 55...

my JETT .60 LX feels neglected [:@]

Lomcevak Duck 12-09-2007 11:22 AM

Although not built for speed, my new favorite is the OS .55AX. OS really hit the mark with this one, if you're looking for a 3D or sport powerplant. Next to that, the .46FX. I like them even better than the new .46 AX. Never owned a Jett, my opinions might change after that though.

russm 12-09-2007 12:08 PM

i think the 60lx is a 46 on steroids.,or at least thats how bob brassel described it to me

rmenke 12-09-2007 01:00 PM

FF:

I gotta go with Crazy 4 flight and the Jett 50LX. It it is not a LX version, it just does not have the rpm's to be exceptional with exception of the 35. The 35 was my favorite engine intil the 60 came out. Nothing around here can even come close to the 60 in a fast airframe. The engines are worth the money in performance and longivity. My 35 is still strong after racilng and practice of about 6 years. The 60 has never seen the down side of 18,500 rpm, the recommended breaking level. The only OS you could give me and would see a airframe is the 32, or 90VRDF. To be on par, you need a performance specialities piston, sleave and bearings to last several seasons without breakdown. When you add that cost plus a pipe, you have more than a Jett's cost and still below par performance. Yes, I have 4-5 YS 2s in the cabinet, but they are not on par with the Jett. A supprising engine is a Webra 55, broken in with loving care, proped with a apc 10 X 10, yes I said a 10 X 10, and its not far off of the Jett 60. I run the Webra for normal racing, and would pull out the Jett 60 backup plane if someone ran me down. That did not yet happen last year, but the gang will up the anty over the winter, so who knows next year. Unfortunately, the YS is just not up to par on the top end, but still a great old engine. Too bad they don't update that thing and get them back into production, the 45 ad 60 are both great stump pullers. ENJOY

freakingfast 12-09-2007 02:22 PM

This is great guys, please post the prop & rpm's you got and what it took to do it, pipe,fuel, ect.
The OS 55 and Webra are my next two favorite engines for specific applications.

rmenke 12-11-2007 12:57 PM

FF:

Do you still have that Fire 50, or did you off it? Dud or not, would look good in my engine cabinet if the price is right.

bob27s 12-11-2007 03:36 PM

My favorite is the Thunder Tiger .46 pro :)

Duane-RCU 12-12-2007 09:01 PM

Hey Bob, what will a TT .46 and a Jett-stream muffler do RPM wise for speed (prop too?) Looking for a Viper option...

bob27s 12-12-2007 10:28 PM

standard 9x7 up over 16,500

8.75x8W and 8.8x8.5 are good on a Q-500 as well

Flyboy Dave 12-16-2007 12:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
....I'll stay with my Rossi .45's....

....they'll whoop anything out there up to the Jett 50. ;)

FBD. :D

vasek 12-16-2007 05:14 AM

My vote goes also to the 60LX hands down... it's not only "freakin' fast" also it runs like a Swiss watch;)

ORIGINAL: russm

i think the 60lx is a 46 on steroids.,or at least thats how bob brassel described it to me

freakingfast 12-16-2007 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: vasek

My vote goes also to the 60LX hands down... it's not only "freakin' fast" also it runs like a Swiss watch;)

ORIGINAL: russm

"
Apples & Oranges 45 to a 60 ......Displacement, displacement, displacement ! "There is no subsitute for displacement". ;) I knew I should have narrowed the criteria (45/46) and folks naturally stretch the range …My bad [&o]

russm 12-16-2007 11:04 AM

ok, the jett sj50. is that better?

freakingfast 12-16-2007 12:02 PM

YUP :) Ya got a prop & #'s for that bad boy?

combatpigg 12-16-2007 02:27 PM

The Rossi .45 and Webra .50 are all that I've ever owned in this size range. They both had the crap beat out of them over the last 15 years and have held up to as much punishment as any Jett or Nelson in the same amount of time.

SPEED JUNKIE 12-16-2007 06:00 PM

I only fly the .90's but my latest project might need some bigger intake's maybe?[X(]
SJ:D

SPEED JUNKIE 12-16-2007 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Opp's, here it is.

Crazy4Flight 12-16-2007 07:05 PM

Still looking for turbocharger and Nitros kit for my 60LX :D

SpeedBoy 12-17-2007 02:36 AM

Rossi 53 .......... 10x8apc , 15,550 rpm , tuned pipe 7.5 cc , Power Master 10% , R5 o.s.

And

YS 45............... 10x7apc , 15,500 rpm , tuned pipe 7.5 cc , Power Master 10% , R5 o.s.

stg61abc 12-20-2007 02:54 PM

Rossi 45 (27r45), the best!!!!!

YUKONFLYR 12-20-2007 03:41 PM

Rossi 45 - Specifically the Rossi 2000 special 8 years ago for only $99.00 with mini tuned pipe, glow plug and extra head shim!