RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Sundowner 50 Arf (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/6733354-sundowner-50-arf.html)

bob27s 01-23-2008 10:32 AM

RE: Sundowner 50 Arf

There were a couple of you who PMed me about this thread and were building with SJ-50 or SJ-60LX installations. Anyone finish theirs yet ?

joshfneptune 01-23-2008 11:53 AM

The plane was a complete loss. I still haven't figured out what it was that caused the crash but my second one is almost done and ready to fly. Probably maiden it this afternoon. Hopefully the failure was an isolated incident. I already sent in the related radio gear into horizon to get checked out and put a new reciever and servos in. I'm also gonna try a flaperon mix since she did sink pretty quick on landing. Didn't tip stall, but a fast sink rate can be almost as ugly. We got a short runway with obstacles on either side where I fly so It's almost like you have dive at the runway to land! I'll let you know how it goes. If anyone else has tried this, let me know how sucessful it's been.

F4FWildcat 01-23-2008 12:47 PM

Good luck. I'm very envious, gonna be a while till flying time here in frigid Ohio! Keep us all posted on how everything goes.

prophecypilot 01-23-2008 03:53 PM

Got one of these last weekend and it is a nice looking plane. I had planned to squeeze a YS 91 on it but it is going to take a little re-engineering. To start with, the firewall will have to be moved back to accomodate the longer engine. Then I had thought about mounting the rudder and elevator servos in the rear of the fuse, and also the battery. Even if it balances without additional weight, do you think the airframe can stand the extra power? Thanks

patzane 01-23-2008 06:54 PM

I plan to use the same servos 475 on 6v

MicroDat 01-24-2008 02:04 AM

ORIGINAL: prophecypilot

Got one of these last weekend and it is a nice looking plane. I had planned to squeeze a YS 91 on it but it is going to take a little re-engineering. To start with, the firewall will have to be moved back to accomodate the longer engine. Then I had thought about mounting the rudder and elevator servos in the rear of the fuse, and also the battery. Even if it balances without additional weight, do you think the airframe can stand the extra power? Thanks

I want to put a 110 on it if I get this plane. Sounds like a lot of work to move the firewall back. I rather just put the mixture box right against the firewall. Let us know how it goes, I'm very curious.

joshfneptune 01-24-2008 02:19 AM

After examining the wreckage of my first Sundowner 50, I believe the wings are sufficiently strong and the fuselage should also be sufficiently strong. I would replace the horizontal stab with a solid balsa or bass stab and glass it since you're already gonna need to add tail weight. I would also reinforce the firewall considerably.

Having said that, I would be weary of going with a 91 if you still plan on sport flying or having half a cowl left on the plane. I don't think the 91 will fit side mounted and you'll have to cut out a fairly larger portion of the cowl if you mount it inverted. At one point, I thought of putting a 110 on it, and I'm glad I didn't. Even with only a YS 63 on it, it comes in pretty hot. A 91 is heavier then a 110 and the sundowner wing doesn't really generate enough lift to support the added weight. It'll increase your stall speed quite a bit. There's no racing league for the sundowner near me so there's no need to make it that much of a break to land. I'll let you know how my Falperon config works when I test it tomorrow (Weather pending). If you do put a 91 in it, let me know how it goes.

planefixer 01-24-2008 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have just finished assembling this aircraft. I put it together with a Saito .82 engine upfront. I used JR ST47 servos. According to Horizon Hobby, these will be sufficient. Just wondering if these servos will handle the load. I have these servos installed in 3 other models of the same size and a Aeromaster Biplane that is bigger and have not had a problem. I would hate to lose a 200 dollar model over a 10 dollar servo! Anyway I won't be flying this plane for a couple of months as I am waiting for the weather to clear up. I have an old beater for winter flying. No sense in tearing up the new plane landing on a rough, muddy, or frozen runway.

easton24 01-28-2008 09:17 AM

I mounted the os 75 on last night. I didnt have much of a problem. I did have to notch out the top of the cowl where the head was making contact with the cowl. I also had to move the blindnuts out about 5mm out each.

patzane 01-28-2008 09:57 PM

easto24 how do you have the motor (side or inverted) Pay day for me is Friday so I will be putting one on order

easton24 01-28-2008 10:14 PM

Side mounted.

prophecypilot 01-28-2008 10:39 PM

I finally decided not to butcher the plane just yet to put in the 91. I decided to use a YS 63 I had. The plane flies great. It was a little breezy yesterday, but the plane cuts through it like a hot knife through butter. The balance was dead on with the 63. I only had a couple of props to experiment with, but I've got a 12-10 on order, that should pick up the top end a little. My buddy has a Spitfire that has been clocked at 110 and I was noticably faster when we were flying together. It does come in a little hot, so much heavier of an engine would probably make it a handfull to land. Good luck to all you guys about to try yours.

sti warrior 01-29-2008 02:48 PM

well mine is almost done with a Jett .50BSE im waiting on my jett in-cowl muffler because the stock muffler doesnt fit ill post pics later

still4given 01-29-2008 04:10 PM

Since some of you are using the YS 63 I thought this would be a good place to ask. How is the 63 for speed. I just acquired one and am trying to decide how to use it. Would it be competitive in a 40 size warbird? What size prop are folks using for speed?

Thanks, Terry
Revver Bro 180

Brew07 01-29-2008 08:11 PM

I got the SD 50 on order. How would the Satio82 and the YS.63 compare to each other. What do you think it would fly better with 2 or 4 stroke. Get more speed out of a 2 stroke. I might have a OS.61 I would try. Can't wait to get this one in the air

Brew07 01-30-2008 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: easton24

I mounted the os 75 on last night. I didnt have much of a problem. I did have to notch out the top of the cowl where the head was making contact with the cowl. I also had to move the blindnuts out about 5mm out each.

easton
Any chance on posting a pic or two of the os75 mounted on your SD. Would like to see how you got it to fit. I can't decide on what motor to go with all I know is that I want a fast planne:D Thanks

easton24 01-31-2008 09:42 AM

Sorry I dont have a digi cam. I used the same mount and used the original holes in fire wall for reference. It ended up being about 10 mm wider with the os 75. So I split the difference on the center of the existing holes. Filled the old ones with dowels and redrilled. The head touched the top of the cowl so I had to notch it out. The biggest cut was for the muffler. Pretty simple. No butchery needed. The problem if any is the weight. I have been waiting for the wing replacement from horizon(damaged in shipping). I am supposed to recieve it today. So should cg it tonight and I will know then what I have to do. Oh I forgot, I want this one to have some speed also. That is why I didnt want to use the os 50 I already had(had it on a viper 500 that is no longer with us). We will see. I got to say this plane looks sleek and fast just sitting on my table. Shooting to maiden on Saturday. Suppose to be 60 and sunny with 3 mph winds.

Brew07 01-31-2008 10:51 AM

OS .61 should fit good then. I have been looking at the Jett .50 or .60. I like the price of the OS .61 better:)

easton24 02-03-2008 11:32 AM

Maidened my sundowner 50 yesterday. I ended up balancing at 2.5 inches like the manual states. No weight added just had to mount my battery farther back in the fueslage. I got to say the balance is pretty good at 2.5. Landings are sweet settles right in with no problems and does not come in hot. I had to up the ailerons throws. They are a little low as stated in manual for the way I fly. I also turned up the ele a hair. Flew it with the 14-6 apc for breakin and got three flights on it. Next time out I will go to a 13-8. I really like the way the plane flies. Oh by the way this plane handles the extra weight of the os 75 with no problems. Just balance the plane with what you got dont add any deadweight. It might take alittle more work not using the supplied blindnut holes for a 52. But I think speed wise the extra work will be worth it.

dhal22 02-03-2008 04:33 PM

i watched one of these planes today with a YS 1.10 absolutely zoom around the field today. the engine sounded like it's was at half throttle but the plane was scorching down the runway with low altitude passes. of course, the speed of the plane made the 4 cycle seem like it was at 1/2 throttle. very nice. another one with a 50 size 2 cycle was a lot slower.

david

Brew07 02-03-2008 06:17 PM

How well did the ys 1.10 fit on the plane? Was there much cowel left :) I just can't make up my mind on what motor to go with.

easton24 02-03-2008 10:48 PM

Man if you can fit a ys 110 in there put it in there. There are a couple of guys at my field that fly 40 size dago mustangs at my club. They are scorchers.

Buzz Kill 02-04-2008 04:17 PM

Pedro has the YS110 on his at our field and it is fairly impressive. I am planning to put a JETT 90 on mine, should fit with no problem. I think the JETT 50 is to small for it. Thoughts?

Buzz

patzane 02-04-2008 06:33 PM

that's what i'm talking about. Who will be the first to rip the wings off in the air from all that great speed.

Brew07 02-04-2008 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Buzz Kill

Pedro has the YS110 on his at our field and it is fairly impressive. I am planning to put a JETT 90 on mine, should fit with no problem. I think the JETT 50 is to small for it. Thoughts?

Buzz

Keep us posted I would like to know how it fits and performs. Thanks