RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Laser arrow Delta question. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/6955714-laser-arrow-delta-question.html)

iflyg450 01-23-2008 10:32 AM

Laser arrow Delta question.

I just won the ARF version on ebay got it for only 53.00 with shipping NIB. I have flown one with a .46 on it. I was wonder how an evolution .61 would pull it? Anyone out their put a .61 on one of these?

rmenke 01-23-2008 08:32 PM

RE: Laser arrow Delta question.

iflyg450:

Sorry, would not consider that engine as a go fast engine. May consider Rossi, OPS, Jett or any decent fan 60. Yes, will scoot fairly quickly with a dsecent engine. If you ca afford a Jett 60LX, thats the only way to go with a bay or two off the wing. ENJOY

rmenke 01-23-2008 08:34 PM

iflyg450:

Sorry, would not consider that engine as a go fast engine. May consider Rossi, OPS, Jett or any decent fan 60. Yes, will scoot fairly quickly with a dsecent engine. If you ca afford a Jett 60LX, thats the only way to go with a bay or two off the wing. ENJOY

iflyg450 01-24-2008 08:15 AM

Not willing to spend that kind of money! I run a viper 500 on what you would consider a sub grade engine a (TT 46) and out run (143mph sheriffs department radar gun confirmed) my club members who spend more on a single engine than I have put into many of my planes. For me having a fast plane with a low budget engine is more rewarding than having a fast plane that you spent 200.00 or more on the engine. I always have a smile on my face when I win a race with my cheap engine my cheap radio gear and smile more when I see my competitor with their high strung over priced engines that do not run reliable that won't last and need all this special crap and care to make work. It's a simple solution to a problem when you just throw high dollar gear at. But a smart man can squeeze a penny and smoke the competition! Yes an evolution .61 is not a high end engine but with a little tinkering you would be amazed at what a cheap engine can do. No this is not my first delta I have flown many others from scratch built SPADS to the diamond dust. I have always used a TT .46 just wondering what a simple .61 would do. Sorry for being cheap!

[email protected] 01-24-2008 08:35 AM

As long as your having fun, thats the important part.

Rock on & Fly on!!

Mike

bob27s 01-24-2008 09:35 AM

Weight and balance will be a problem with a "big block" .61 size engine.

Also.... do not make a mistake of equating displacement with power and performance. It does not always work that way.

Econonmy is nothing you have to defend. There are good solutions out there for everyone, and every budget.

If you are willing to make a small investment, you can get about 80% of the performane of a Jett 46/50 engine for about 60% of the purchase cost.

(jett SJ-46 is $275, complete)

The best econonmy speed setup I can recommend is the Thunder Tiger .46Pro, and add a jett-stream muffler.
No tuning involved, just bolt on the muffler, break in the engine properly, and you will have an outstanding power plant.

TT46 + jett muffler + 9x7 APC prop.

If you are willing to make a small investment, you can get about 85% of the performane of a Jett 46 engine for about 60% of the purchase cost.

(jett SJ-46 is $275, complete)

(TT46 pro is $94 + Jett-Stream JS40TT is $60 + Spinner Nut $3 + glow plug $3 = $160.00 )

(275/160 = 58%)

If you have been pleased with the performance of your Viper, you will enjoy this setup. It will result in better performance in your intended application than the .61 engine would result in.

Btw..... I do not consider the Thunder Tiger engines anything near sub-grade. They have demonstrated to me they are among the best out there.

Bob

iflyg450 01-24-2008 10:01 AM

I agree my viper setup is what you recomended to me TT .46/Jett muffler/ 9X7 apc I will probley go with that same setup on my delta. For the money you just can't beat a TT .46pro. Still many people consider it too be a sub grade engine not sure why? Your right the .61 is going to be problem, weight and balance wise. Thanks for your help.

5.0Rick 01-24-2008 09:00 PM

Hello Iflyg450,

I have a Laser Arrow that I bought as a kit. I put a Rossi 53 with the stock pipe and according to the doppler software it moves around 150 MPH. BTW, I picked mine up from Ebay for $200. I love the motor. Great power and a good price. Probably going to get a tuned pipe for it. Here are some pics and a video of my Arrow (you'll need the Dvix codec to view the video).

http://www.nomadflyers.org/gallery/m...?g2_itemId=771

Regards,

Rick

iflyg450 01-31-2008 12:39 PM

What servos are you useing?

3penguins 06-26-2010 11:52 PM

I know this thread is very old but...I've just invested in a laser arrow delta that is already built. I have no idea what the set up of it should be and am hoping someone out there will know.

I need to know CG location and control throws. Anyone...?

Thanks

General Lee Stupid 07-19-2010 09:00 PM

crap, i know i have my manual for it around here somewhere...:eek:

General Lee Stupid 08-01-2010 02:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
@ 3penguins
the distances for the throws should be attached...

3penguins 08-01-2010 04:56 AM

Hi General Lee

You are a champion! Thanks for the instructions, now to set it up have some fun!

I just had a closer look at the information, I love the part that says "to be adapted to suit your temperament". You wouldn't to try and match my temperament to anything ;-) Can you imagine having a spontaneous control throw or a moody one for that matter?

What size motor did you use on yours? I have anywhere between a .25 and 70fs free at mo. I'm thinking to start with the 25 and see how she goes then go up from there. Only problem is I don't like the thought of face planting one of my motors if the take off goes wrong. How did you find launching?

Chris

General Lee Stupid 08-01-2010 02:00 PM

i used a OS .46AX, and it hauls balls! its around 140, with a tuned pipe, and the prop i have on there (at the moment i don't recall the size of the propeller). If i were to do build another one id probably put a larger engine in it. there's a vid on youtube of a guy, in Germany i think, who put a .91DF in it and that setup was capable of vertical takeoff!! for me takeoffs aren't bad, i just need to wrangle someone into holding the plane for me. they don't need to throw it, it has enough power to get enough speed in the few feet it drops when they let go. i have plans to make a little PVC launch rail set at like 45* and around 5 feet long, should work without a problem. I have had a failed takeoff with the arrow twice now, both times due to an issue with air bubbles in the line that caused the engine to lose power right after the toss, but i just put a new prop on and tried it again. it seems like the plane has enough throw, even on low rates to keep itself parallel with the ground. and ya know it lands on that skid without a problem, it'll throw tons of dirt all over your engine if you fly off a dirt runway like me.:eek:

PeterC 08-20-2010 01:52 PM

When I had my Laser it was powered with a Rossi 40 with the black tuned pipe. I think I used to turn a 9 X 7 APC. For launching I had a helper point it up at about 45 degrees and just let go. The plane wouold prop hang for the first few feet and then be flying. My problem was that after one launch no one would do it again because they were covered in exhaust slime. It was the fastedst plane I've ever owned.
My question. Where can I get another one?
Peter

3penguins 08-20-2010 04:07 PM

Hi Peter

I'm in New Zealand because of work. They have a web site here called trademe (trademe.co.nz) that NZ'ers regularly use to sell their stuff. It's had one of these planes on there for many many many moons. Perhaps the seller can help you get one.

The link for the current laser is http://www.trademe.co.nz/Toys-models...-310907577.htm

Cheers