RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   LANIER SHRIKE 10 or SIG WONDER? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/6983543-lanier-shrike-10-sig-wonder.html)

iflyg450 01-28-2008 11:06 AM

LANIER SHRIKE 10 or SIG WONDER?

I have a NIB MDS .18 pro that needs a home. Which one is a better choice? I like a go fast plane that will turn on a dime and give you 9 cents change.

evan-RCU 01-28-2008 11:20 AM

RE: LANIER SHRIKE 10 or SIG WONDER?

I've seen both and flown both but built niether. From a flying point I liked the Shrike better.

iflyg450 01-28-2008 11:38 AM

fair enough. I have never flown either one but I have flow a shrike 40 and was impressed.

jeffy 01-28-2008 12:51 PM

Have flown and do own both and no matter which one you pick you will be happy

gee I dont have a silly sig because Its the same thing all the time........

iflyg450 01-28-2008 01:38 PM

MDS .18 a good choice? what servos do you recomend?

Cyclic Hardover 01-28-2008 06:21 PM

Ihave a Shrike 40 and seen Wonders fly. I'd try a wonder. Speedy little things

jeffy 01-28-2008 07:40 PM

18 will work just fine I have used 25's and 28's with great excitement.......

if you want a frill just put in a 36....It got to fast for me so I put the 25 back in and its just fun with the speed.....:)

ORIGINAL: iflyg450

MDS .18 a good choice? what servos do you recomend?

jeffy 01-28-2008 07:45 PM

and you can use standard servos....I try to use 81 hitec servos for throttle

Crazy4Flight 01-28-2008 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: iflyg450

I have a NIB MDS .18 pro that needs a home. Which one is a better choice? I like a go fast plane that will turn on a dime and give you 9 cents change.

I have built and flown both.

SIG WONDER is a very complete KIT, even a novice can build it. die-cut
Lanier Shrike you need to buy all the hardware and know how to build. laser cut

Sig Wonder will fly very slow but moves out when asked to and is very agile.
L. Shrike a bit faster and does not have the sloe/park flyer abilities.

If this is your first small hand launched plane with extra power go with the Wonder.

I have compiled a list of mods I do to my wonders when building.

And that list is stuck in my old computer [:@]

but this is what I remember.....

1) make the stab bolt on not glue, use rear area of wing blocks and add a block of wood in the far end of the fuse.

2) with stab removable you do not need to install the hatch on the bottom of the fuse, just triangle stock down the corners full length.

3) dual rudders optional

4) notch out trailing edge stock to fit in the torque rods for the ailerons before assembly, in manual the instruction have you carve out some wood after the wing sheeting is on.

5) replace L.E. balsa (1/4x1/4) with 3/16x3/16 spruce or bass wood AND DO NOT trim the 1/16 x 3" wide wing sheeting to 2.75" .... what I am doing here is the 1/16 wing sheeting will cover the top of the 3/16 sq spruce set in flush to the fish mouth of the wing ribs. now trim it flush to the lower face, next install lower sheeting trim and sand.

the plans/instructions call for you to lay the sheeting over the ribs and butt up against the balsa LE stock...very easy to push sheeting down between the ribs for a wavy skin.

Also you get a bit more strength too.

6) I added balsa 1/4 x 1/2 x x-lenght to fit between the two center ribs under the wing skin for the alieron servo screws to thread into 1/8 ply over the wing skin is too weak.

bob

Crazy4Flight 01-29-2008 12:02 AM

Hitec SERVOS I have used:

ailerons HS 225MG or HS 425BB
elevator HS 225MG or HS 85MG
throttle HsS81

The Toolman 01-29-2008 12:11 AM

I've got the wonder with the new magnum .15XLS an run a 7 x 6 apc prop. This thing goes like a bat out of H**L an turns on a dime with change back.

The shrike is super fast also, but once you slow it down it'll drop out of the air if ya ain't still going a pretty good clip.

If ya haven't flown a really fast plane, I'd stick with the wonder to start with. Be careful though, either will fly out of sight in a spilt second if ya don't watch what yer doing.

Ronnie-The Toolman:D

iflyg450 01-29-2008 08:25 AM

Thank you for all the info I'll go with the shrike towerhobbies had it for 29.00. I don't care for the hardware that comes with most kits. I usally juck most of it anyway I think that may towerhobbies TS-35 servos will be just fine I will use an HS-55 on the throttle. I have flown other small go fast planes. I have never worked with any lanier products, they seem to have a good reputions. I am sure that I will bulid the wonder sometime soon. I feel that sig makes some of the best kits out their.