RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   YS63, any good for speed? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/6995918-ys63-any-good-speed.html)

still4given 01-30-2008 11:31 AM

YS63, any good for speed?

Hi Guys,

I like to race warbirds. The RCPRO rules give a pretty good advantage to 4 strokes. I have recently acquired a YS63. I am building a smallish Zero and the 63 looks like it will fit fine. Is there a way to get good speed out of the YS63? I run a YS1.10 on a Strega and it really scoots but I would like to use the Zero in Bronze class if I can make it competitive.

Thanks, Terry

Flyboy Dave 01-30-2008 09:26 PM

RE: YS63, any good for speed?

I think it would, Terry. I think an 11-10 prop cut down to turn about 11.5K, running
on 30% nitro might be a good start. ;)

FBD. :D

still4given 01-31-2008 10:51 AM

Thanks Dave,

I'll give that a try. Trying to get it ready to fly this weekend. I'll let you know how it does.

Blessings, Terry
Revver Bro 180

Flyboy Dave 01-31-2008 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The YS manual gives the practical RPM of that engines as 2,000-15,000 , so don't be afraid
to let 'er rip. Also, don't try to richen the engine up for flight like a regular engine. They
don't like to be richened like that. They don't seem to lean out in flight like a regular engine
either, they have pressurized fuel and injection. Use some castor in the engine. Peak the engine
out to max rpm, then open the main needle slowly until the engine just drops off on rpm, then
turn it back a click or two to regain full revs. If you richen the mixture like a normal engine
it will back-fire and throw the prop at you in protest. [X(]

I've got mine really singing on the Bob Cat. ;)

Rev on, my brother. :D

still4given 01-31-2008 12:43 PM

Cool, if it will push that BobCat around quickly it ought to do well on my Zero. I have the same BobCat as you with a Tower 75 and it seems to be a draggy design. Doesn't go nearly as fast as it sounds like it's going. What prop are you running on the BobCat?

Thanks, Terry
Revver Bro 180

Flyboy Dave 01-31-2008 01:35 PM

I'm chugging it around with an 11-8 at about 10 grand on 15% nitro. It isn't fast. It is
a large plane, really....5 feet long and 4.4 feet wide.....it takes up a lot of space.

FBD. :D

still4given 01-31-2008 03:13 PM

You're right. I'm using an 11x8 Graupner and turning about 14K and it is fast but nothing like that engine would be on a sleeker airframe.
I' hope to fly the Zero Saturday. I'm going to wait to cut the cowl until I decide whether to stay with the 63. I've got some pretty fast 2 stroke engines I can use if the 63 proves too slow.

Blessings, Terry

rmenke 01-31-2008 11:00 PM

S4G;

The Sacramento area guys have been abusing thokse poor little YS engines in war birds for a number of years. You should be able to locate someone from that area running YS in the races there through area clubs or hobby shops such as RC Country (Chuck). From what I understand, they grind cams and all sorts of other hop up stuff that will limit the life span of that sweet little put put. Sorry, just does not make much sence to me, but you do get power and lots of prop pitch. You go ahead and take the pitch as long as you leave me the rpm engines!!! ENJOY

still4given 02-01-2008 08:45 AM

Hi rmenke,

I've heard about the Sacramento boys. I don't really want to hop up my 63. Just wanted to know if they could develop any speed. I haven't even fired it up yet.

I like the revver motors too. I have an SJ50, TT46 on a an Ultra Thrust, Magnum 52 w/Ultra Thrust. K&B 6.5, Two YS 45SE's, Three YS 60SE's and a Tower 75. However the fastest plane I have has a YS 1.10 bolted to the front. I like trying different things to see how far I can stretch the boundaries. Just about finished the little Zero last night so I should have it in the air tomorrow. If it doesn't work out I'll probably slap a YS 45 on it.

Blessings, Terry

still4given 02-06-2008 12:41 AM

I finished the Zero but it needs 16oz of lead under the front of the engine to balance and I'm not sure I'm willing to add that much weight to this little plane. Anyway, I did get a chance to fire up the 63. Turns 11,600 on an APC 11x9 static burning Cool Power 30% Heli fuel. Not so sure that'll hang with my TT46 turning a 9x8 at 16,800. That is what it takes to reach breakout in Bronze class.

I may go ahead and add the weight so I can get a stop watch on it.

Blessings

petec 02-06-2008 10:11 AM

You might as well put the lead in the nose. My old 40 size GP Zero (may it R.I.P.) had an OS 91 FS in the nose and still needed 13 oz. or lead in the nose to balance.