RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   sick of jetts (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/7078269-sick-jetts.html)

zero-cool 02-15-2008 04:08 AM

sick of jetts

lets all go eletric? lets take away the castor.that wonderful smell that you grew up with.the feel asyou bring a engine in to two cycle.playin with glow plugs/fuel.the right prop.and everything that makes you a real r/c pilot.thats where dreames are made.down with eletric.well at least till the batteries surpass my jett 50.ante gona happen!

hummingbird111 02-15-2008 04:21 AM

RE: sick of jetts

Say whaat??? [X(][X(][X(]

----------VAROOOM!!!----->

vasek 02-15-2008 04:22 AM

You're on your own pal!:)

I did try to get a electric Patriot thread started once....[X(]

Everyone here LOVES the smell of burned fuel in the morning LOL

vasek 02-15-2008 04:26 AM

OK...OK... I get it now, you're just trying to provoke...[&:]

hummingbird111 02-15-2008 04:27 AM

Vasek,, how did the patriot do,, flying ok?--wow? those guys were pretty harsh on you in that thread.[:o]-- i know it was all in good jest though,,;)

------VAROOOM!!!-->

hummingbird111 02-15-2008 04:37 AM

Sorry no provoking here,, just wondering how it went, it seemed the thread ended after the pink bike thingy,

zero-cool 02-15-2008 04:43 AM

the olny reason i said that is because seems like everyone is going eletric these days.HAVE YOU NO PRIDE?ALL YOU YOUNG PILOTS OUT THERE.REMEMBER there were no flight sims out there when i started.i learned the hard way .by crashing my plane into bits.there were no arfS they had them but they all sucked.it was a cox ezzbeee.or some pice of **** lanier arf made out of plastic.witch took like 50 hrs to build

hummingbird111 02-15-2008 05:03 AM

"lanier arf made out of plastic.witch took like 50 hrs to build "-----------wowzers!! that's crazy[X(],,,i started out on Electric,, but since i have had the taste of nitro/fuel,,, well i still fly electricks sometimes but,,,......i love the smell of nitro :D:D--sometimes i have a grudge against electrics because the hobby shops are infested with them, and they sell them by the pieces ,, $100 for the speed controller...$100 for a good brushless motor,, and the batteries ?[X(][X(][X(][X(]

don't forget to let out the magic smoke :D lol ...-----varoom?

dhal22 02-15-2008 05:54 AM

i've said it before, if electrics were free, just sitting on the shelf, i'd still keep walking until i reached the glow fuel section. i might have a gas burner someday, but never an electric plane, ever.

david

zero-cool 02-15-2008 06:40 AM

well you guys are right.its time fir me to grow up.its just when i started flyin.nobody flew eletric but now they are soo fast.but they still dont have the wow!! factor that olny nirto can give.remeber your not flyining for yourself your putting on a show! and if i was flying by myself i would get an ugly stick big/slow easy to see ,almost crash proof

vasek 02-15-2008 07:36 AM

ORIGINAL: hummingbird111

Vasek,, how did the patriot do,, flying ok?--wow? those guys were pretty harsh on you in that thread.[:o]-- i know it was all in good jest though,,;)

------VAROOOM!!!-->
Hey bird111, finally i dind't go electric... Patriot still on the board > have a Jett .60LX on the test stand;)

and it wasn't the pink bike(s) that had me change my mind:eek:[:'(]

HaveBlue 02-15-2008 08:46 AM

all I can say is it took one complaint to have IC engines banned at our field..it's electric or nothing...I look at ebay an 75% stuff is electric's , ..dont get me wrong I love glow ..I love my Jett engines..heck I love almost any engine that uses fuel makes noise and makes power...but as sad as it is it is becomming an undeniable trend..long live the menthonal freaks!!!!...

I haven't flown a plane in over a year now..hence all my planes ..all my engines (bar my JETTS) are on ebay..because of this trend I am leaving the hobby with the exception of only two final projects that I will do

1) a super duellist 60 powered by two JETT 90L'S

2) a modified glider called the supersonic with a JETT 60 LX in the nose wrapped in the most effecient cowl design I can muster

unfortunately I will have to find some safe place ..but fly outlaw

vasek 02-15-2008 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: HaveBlue
a modified glider called the supersonic with a JETT 60 LX in the nose wrapped in the most effecient cowl design I can muster

I'd love to see some pics of that![X(]

rmenke 02-15-2008 11:20 AM

Vassic & Blue:

Vassic finally gets it, a Jett 60LX that is. Blue old buddy, right on as usual. Sure I have some electrics, they are small foamys and a couple of AJ Extras and a PS Katana to keep my fingers limber and juces flowing. And, there is a Fun jett with Mega 25-16-2 building now, supposed to top out at 140 or so, but its small and estimated life span is something like the old Airbone troopers used to be, 4-6 minutes in combat conditions. But heck, I'm still here, tootless, scarred up and not pretty anymore, but still fisty. Come to think of it fisty is what brought on the scars. Oh well, bent but not broken.

Sure, come on in and enjoy a new technology that does have some advantages. Had a wake up call last year when lapping a electric wing thing. Darn thing stayed with me the rest of the race, very pesky. I like pesky. Yea, our speed was less than 120 or so, but is was a fun flyer!!! What do you mean, that motor will turn 45000!!! Wheeeeee

SPEED JUNKIE 02-15-2008 02:26 PM

THOU SHALT NOT REPLACE NITRO FOR ELECTRON'S EVER!!

bob27s 02-15-2008 02:26 PM

everyone is not going electric.... that is an inaccurate generalization.

For me, I got into this hobby when I was young. I had fuel powered cox cars, started with CL when I was 8 ro so. Started flying R/C in 1976. The main draw to c/l and r/c rather than just building plastic models or rubber power ----- was the engines. Sure I enjoyed building the aircraft, but firing up that engine every time really was the key.

I still love engines. All types. And I am definately not alone in that respect.

Yes, I own and fly some electric planes and helicopters. The motors, speed controls and batteries for these have only developed to a "seriously" usable state in the past 8-10 years. But I consider electric power 100% different projects. Parallel activities. Definately not considered a replacement for a fuel powered engines and aircraft.

Sure, electric can go fast. You have no frontal area, limited cooling requirements, and no structural/physical limits on the powerplant rpm. Even large-size electric ducted fan is very practicle. The limits with electric are weight-batteries-wiring-electronics survivability. Different balancing act.

HaveBlue 02-15-2008 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: bob27s
The limits with electric are weight-batteries-wiring-electronics survivability. Different balancing act.
in this respect it's only a matter of time, technology /progress will amend such draw backs

HaveBlue 02-15-2008 05:15 PM

ORIGINAL: vasek

ORIGINAL: HaveBlue
a modified glider called the supersonic with a JETT 60 LX in the nose wrapped in the most effecient cowl design I can muster

I'd love to see some pics of that![X(]

I would too,I havent bought either yet nor the glider or the engine, but its in the plan , possibly when I finish selling all the other stuff on ebay I put some of the funds towards it..its good timing the aussie dollar is at 90cents US so it's an excellent time to buy!

Crazy4Flight 02-15-2008 06:14 PM

ORIGINAL: zero-cool

lets all go eletric? lets take away the castor.that wonderful smell that you grew up with.the feel asyou bring a engine in to two cycle.playin with glow plugs/fuel.the right prop.and everything that makes you a real r/c pilot.thats where dreames are made.down with eletric.well at least till the batteries surpass my jett 50.ante gona happen!

the last time I checked to electrifry a diamond dust I have with a JETT .60LX I would have to spend $700 on motor, contoller, and battery, charger available at extra cost.

then replace the battery @ 300.00 every 200 cycles. [:@]

time between flight E power not sure 25-35 minutes???

GLOW POWER 3 minutes to refuel and restart! taking my time that is

Kmot 02-15-2008 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yawn...

hummingbird111 02-16-2008 01:26 AM

nice bumber sticker Kmot,,,,:D

jeffk464 02-16-2008 02:00 AM

Personally I love the idea of electrics and the performance is finally matching sport glow engines, I believe Pattern guys are even using them in competition. Once the price of electrics becomes comparable to glow I'm going to make the switch. The way I see it no more dead sticks, no more tweaking needles, no more messy clean ups, and no more hearing damage.

The only downsides right now are that batteries are still expensive and choosing the right set up for your plane is confusing.

Aurora_60 02-16-2008 09:54 AM

Electrics have no power???
You haven't seen a, electric yet.
Heres a link to twin EDF.... Now this aint a little foamy toy. This plane is at 6000w!!!
Plane was too fast. The JR9411 servos had stalling issues. 8411 in there place and on Sunday she'll be moving faster than glow! [>:]

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816611

BTW:
I fly w/ nitro myself. Not for speed, for the smell and the sound of a tuned pipe! But Damn those electrics are moving fast. Gotta respect them (not the little toys though:))

Dave

Crazy4Flight 02-16-2008 12:35 PM

I have seen and priced the BVM EDF OK so why not do a REAL turbine?

HighPlains 02-16-2008 01:02 PM

Did my computer slow down or something?