RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   I think I fixed my Speed problem...well for a little while (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/7314754-i-think-i-fixed-my-speed-problem-well-little-while.html)

Yellowsierra02 04-01-2008 12:28 AM

I think I fixed my Speed problem...well for a little while

I just ordered a Jett 60LX BSE. I called up Dub Jett at Jett engineering and he anwsered all my questions and even had a few tips. Dub is a really great guy and would do anything to help you out. I cant wait to get this little powerhouse. Im going to put it behind a Great Planes Viper. Im hoping to hit over 150 mph which shouldn't be a problem with this combo. I cant wait to go to the field for the first time and get out the radar gun. I like going to flying fields that Ive never been to before and bring one of my fast planes. It always seems to start a good conversation. If anybody has any suggestions for the viper or maybe a good Viper thread please share the info...

Thanks

Justin

combatpigg 04-01-2008 01:09 AM

RE: I think I fixed my Speed problem...well for a little while

Have fun.....make sure you run a stainless cable from the engine back to a real good tie down point in case the firewall rips out ;)

Ed Smith 04-01-2008 06:52 AM

If anybody has any suggestions for the viper or maybe a good Viper thread please share the info...
If you intend to use the Jett 60LX BSE my advice would be to not use the Viper. Why would you put an engine like that on a piece of junk like the Viper? If you must put that engine on that type of airplane then spend the money on an airframe that has proved it can handle the stress of high speed.

The Vortex comes to mind.

Ed S

evan-RCU 04-01-2008 07:36 AM

Come on out to Charlotte and fly, we can call a "speed" day...

Yellowsierra02 04-01-2008 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

If anybody has any suggestions for the viper or maybe a good Viper thread please share the info...
If you intend to use the Jett 60LX BSE my advice would be to not use the Viper. Why would you put an engine like that on a piece of junk like the Viper? If you must put that engine on that type of airplane then spend the money on an airframe that has proved it can handle the stress of high speed.

The Vortex comes to mind.

Ed S

Who makes the vortec and what kind of plane is it? I dont understand why you dont like the Viper? When I talked to Dub he said thats what kind of plane they raced locally and it was a pretty tuff bird.

Fxrs_tim 04-01-2008 12:31 PM

Before you strap your engine on a Viper, do some research in the pylon forums. You'll definitely need to pin the firewall and add either glass or carbon inside the fuse. Otherwise your firewall WILL rip out. You'll also want to reinforce the landing gear block area, and possibly the fuse back toward the tail. Most Vipers using fast motors also require shimming the rear of the v-tail up ~ 3/32". Lastly, call Dub back and have him put a good set of pizza cutter wheels in the box w/ your engine. The ones that come w/ the Viper are absolute junk and are guaranteed to fall off on the first flight.

Tim

Yellowsierra02 04-01-2008 12:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Fxrs_tim

Before you strap your engine on a Viper, do some research in the pylon forums. You'll definitely need to pin the firewall and add either glass or carbon inside the fuse. Otherwise your firewall WILL rip out. You'll also want to reinforce the landing gear block area, and possibly the fuse back toward the tail. Most Vipers using fast motors also require shimming the rear of the v-tail up ~ 3/32". Lastly, call Dub back and have him put a good set of pizza cutter wheels in the box w/ your engine. The ones that come w/ the Viper are absolute junk and are guaranteed to fall off on the first flight.

Tim

What would be a good plane for the Jett 60 LX? I was looking at the Hanger 9 Sundowner 50 but it seems alittle big and heavy. Does anybody know of a good,strong fast plane.

MJD 04-01-2008 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Yellowsierra02
What would be a good plane for the Jett 60 LX? I was looking at the Hanger 9 Sundowner 50 but it seems alittle big and heavy. Does anybody know of a good,strong fast plane.
http://www.matneymodels.com/q500.html

The Zoomer is popular, and the Q500's shown here have composite fuselages. Or do you want an ARF?

bob27s 04-01-2008 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Fxrs_tim

Tim

No need to abaondon the Viper... just takes some TLC as was noted. (in my opinion it need some of the tweeks regardless of the engine, and the plane itself is continually improved in production - the ones available today are better than the ones sold 12-18 months ago)

Matney is a good source for Q-500 kits too. Glass-foam --- not hard to build. He will sell you a pre-sheeted wing too.

rmenke 04-01-2008 01:14 PM

Yellowsierra02:

Your getting outstanding advise regarding the Viper and Jett 60LX. You can go to the "Viper" thread and find out how you possibly may cure the kits shortcommings, it depends on your skills and smarts if it will stay togeather. Ok, you are going to put a 60 onto a mimimum 40 designed airframe, and not just any old 60. I have two of the things and love them to death. You should be getting closer to 200 than 150 set up correctly because of the quality of engine and available power/prop pitch/rpm's. Your chatting to a bunch of certified speed nuts, many going very fast before you were borne, no disrespect intended. In here, the combined experience is outstanding, listen a little, many have been there and done that years ago.

Projects advantages, easy, light, generally fast design. Projects disadvantages, airframe strength, streemlining, small fuel tank. Did one last year with minimum sized airframe, wing cut to 40". Ended up MUCH FASTER faster than I was looking for, short flight time on a 6 oz tank not to my liking. #1 died from a bad switch which brought forth a #2. #2 has room in front for 12 oz of fuel, tailwheel, full 52" span wing. Its now better than a typical sport plane. Start up, taxi out, take off and dial in how fast you want to go with scary fast at WFO. The time to build the modifications (new fuse) will not take any longer (much longer) than fixing the Viper fuse, depending on your building skills. Yes, it's worth it. May attach a pick to aid your direction.

Yellowsierra02 04-01-2008 10:55 PM

I think Ive decided on a Plane. The Sundowner 50! Im going to wait to see how it works out for a couple other people but besides that Im sold! Its a awesome looking plane, alittle on the big/heavy side but has went over 130 mph. That was with a brushless power 46.

YUKONFLYR 04-01-2008 11:18 PM

I think Ive decided on a Plane. The Sundowner 50!
What happened to the Viper idea?[:o]

Razor-RCU 04-01-2008 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
rmenke- I seriously doubt near 200 but it WILL be fast with that set-up no doubt.

I guess at some point I will have to geta Viper or Predator and see what the fuss is about- I did have a Scat-Cat with a K&B 7.5 then a Jett-50, pretty fast I thought. No idea how much so however.

Wish I could find one of those EZ Reno Racers from the 80's and I could shoehorn a SJ-40 or 50 in there- ;)

Yellowsierra02 04-01-2008 11:37 PM

What happened to the Viper idea?[:o]
[/quote]

The Viper would be faster but I have always liked the Sundowner since it has been out. I talked to Dub jett and he is building one for his friend and thinks it will have good results. I was wanting to see how it turned out before I totally made my decision. Its pretty bad when you buy a Engine and try to figure which plane to buy for it. Its ussally the other way around I really like the Hanger 9/ E-flite planes. I have always had good luck with them. I wish the Sundowner was alittle smaller/lighter like a 50-55 inch wingspan and 3-4 lb weight. I guess you cant have everything you want. haha Im thinking the plane will do over 130 striaght and level. I radared the Pulse XT with my .55ax/ 10 x 7 prop and it done 105-109 straight and 133mph in a BIG dive. I was pretty happy with that. The Ultra thrust pipe seemed to gain 5-10mph. It went from 12,900 to 14,600 on a 10 x 9 prop with the ultra thrust.

Justin

Yellowsierra02 04-01-2008 11:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

rmenke- I seriously doubt near 200 but it WILL be fast with that set-up no doubt.

I guess at some point I will have to geta Viper or Predator and see what the fuss is about- I did have a Scat-Cat with a K&B 7.5 then a Jett-50, pretty fast I thought. No idea how much so however.

Wish I could find one of those EZ Reno Racers from the 80's and I could shoehorn a SJ-40 or 50 in there- ;)

I really like the Orange plane! Is that the EZ Reno Racer? I bet in the next 2-3 years I will have so many planes that I want have to wish I had this plane or that plane. I have went threw so many foam planes that its not funny. I have wasted alot of money on them thats for sure. I have learned how to fly well from them but there not worth investing money into. I've decided to buy nicer balse or fiberglass planes from now on. Its hard enough hiding all my planes from the women as it is. :D

Here's another plane I was looking at. I bet it would move pretty good with the Jett 60. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGGM2&P=Z

Justin

YUKONFLYR 04-02-2008 01:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Its pretty bad when you buy a Engine and try to figure which plane to buy for it.

Justin

Naahhhh..........Thats normal:D Whats worse is buying several engines for one plane and upping the anti each time[X(]

Gotta go with what you like......But the Jett 60 is really a 40 size engine with 60 internals and the Sundowner is a 40 size plane:eek: How bout the Jett 90 in the sundowner:) and you can check the Sundowner's structural integrity:)

Reassembling my Viper engine......dinner anyone?

Richard

freakingfast 04-02-2008 01:20 AM

YellowsierraO2
I think you would like that Jett 60 XL on a Demon or Viper much better than the Sundowner. The Downer takes a ton of power to make it get speed, like a Jett 90 or a YS 110fz S in it and maybe 150 true level flight.

I'd get the Jett 60 XL FIRE and that cool Jett pipe spinning an APC 8.8 X 9.75 @ 19k on a Demon, Diamond Dust, Whiplash or Viper and pushing 200mph on the 3 deltas, 185 on the quickie.

For days after your flight, everywhere you go people will be looking at your face because you’ll have that stupid ear to ear grin like that perpetually smiling 'Bob' in those Enzyte commercials.:D

cncswiss1 04-02-2008 07:57 AM

if you want to haul the mail get the zoomer, and a pile of spare underwear, with the 60lx the stripe is going to be wide and dense.