RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Phoenix Models Strega 40? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/7320187-phoenix-models-strega-40-a.html)

Yellowsierra02 04-02-2008 12:56 AM

Phoenix Models Strega 40?

Has anybody built one of these? It looks like a pretty sweet plane. I love the race Orange color! Here it is on towers site... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XGGM2&P=0#tech I've read where a few people have built it and they all had nothing but good to say about it. I've always been a fan of the P-51 planes. This looks like a winner.

Yellowsierra02 04-02-2008 11:04 AM

RE: Phoenix Models Strega 40?

I guess not many people have built this plane before. I could only find one video and a couple threads. They all liked the plane but there was not alot of info on it.

still4given 04-02-2008 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have built 5 of them. I have three flying right now. I use them in RCPRO Warbird racing. I have one with a TT46 pro that flies in Bronze class, one with Jett SJ50 that flies in Silver and one with a YS 1.10 that flies in Gold. It is a really good kit with descent hardware. It doesn't need any weight added for balance. I highly recommend them for a fast warbird though they are not very scale. I have not had to do any upgrades except for the one with the YS 1.10.

Blessings, Terry

rmenke 04-02-2008 04:59 PM

Yellowsierra2:

A club buddy has been flying one of these in our clup "Open class" racing all through last year, Webra 55 powered. It flys well in the turns, speed is adequate to compete with the fast guys, pilot just not up to par yet. It is retract equipped, with the bottom radiator area removed. It is something I would consider if they start beating my modified Avi-Star, also Webra 55 powered which is not likely, but anything is posssible in racing. Is a easy build except for the retract modification, cost effective, nice looking. I would expect Still4given to be competitive with the Jett 50 and YS110 within our bunch of crazies. ENJOY

Yellowsierra02 04-02-2008 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: rmenke

Yellowsierra2:

A club buddy has been flying one of these in our clup "Open class" racing all through last year, Webra 55 powered. It flys well in the turns, speed is adequate to compete with the fast guys, pilot just not up to par yet. It is retract equipped, with the bottom radiator area removed. It is something I would consider if they start beating my modified Avi-Star, also Webra 55 powered which is not likely, but anything is posssible in racing. Is a easy build except for the retract modification, cost effective, nice looking. I would expect Still4given to be competitive with the Jett 50 and YS110 within our bunch of crazies. ENJOY

Yeah Stillforgiven has some nice planes. I sent him a pm earlier today to ask him about his Jett powered Strega. I wonder if the Phoenix Strega would go 150 with the Jett .60 LX? If not I wonder how close it would get.

So rmenke you have a fast avistar? Do you have any pictures of it. If would like to check that thing out. I always like sleeper planes. :D

still4given 04-02-2008 09:04 PM

It would be interesting to see a fast Avistar. There is a guy who flies in Phoenix who has a little J3 cub that does every bit of 150 but it is like a 25 size cub with a Q500 wing powered by a Nelson 40.

It's pretty hard to get a Warbird up to 150. That is faster than it sounds. I have no doubt that you will be pleased with the Strega/60LX combination. It will be one of the fastest warbirds at you field. I haven't tried putting retracts in the Strega. It would be a lot of work. I really don't think the fixed gear hurts you that much. Q 500 and Q40, both use fixed gear and they cook. Retracts are heavier and dirty up the bottom of the wing. I guess its all in how you look at it.

Blessings, Terry

Yellowsierra02 04-14-2008 02:49 PM

Well I ordered the Strega today from tower. So I should have it and the Jett .60LX soon. I cant wait! :D

Mybad67 07-06-2009 11:42 PM

Ive been flying Mine for about 5 years. I love it! This is my second model though. the first on had the elevator horn break in flight and later research found that another modeler had the same problem with the supplied horns. but overall I think its a great airplane!

still4given 07-07-2009 01:41 AM

That's strange. I have always used the stock control horns and never had one fail. I would bet you got flutter from something. One of mine developed flutter in the elevator due to a loose fitting Z-bend. It would start to dive at full throttle. I'm sure, if I had not noticed it, it would have broken something.

Blessings, Terry