RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   DD clipped wing or not (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/747610-dd-clipped-wing-not.html)

mumblety-peg 05-05-2003 10:29 PM

DD clipped wing or not

I'm just about ready to order a Diamond Dust. I've read a bit about the new clipped wing version. Just wondering if I should stick to the regular DD or not. So far, my fastest plane is a laser arrow with a 46 fx. I have no problems with the laser so I guess I'm ready for more speed.

longwaytofall 05-05-2003 11:41 PM

DD clipped wing or not

when i talked to diamond dust rc, they said they only sell the clipped wing in the already build version. this is like 150 or something, so unless u wanna pay bank, stick with the regular. the full size dust will be allot faster than your laser anyways. if it is not, go with one of the grrts or jetts.

FlooredCOBRA 05-06-2003 01:26 AM

DD clipped wing or not

My first Dust I put an OS 46FX in it and it was plenty fast for a sport engine. The dust pretty much hauls with any engine you put in it.

I will be a day and nite difference compared to arrow.

If you get the Kit version you will see how thin this plane actually is. There are very few parts in box as it is. I think I can count the total on my fingers just about.

mumblety-peg 05-06-2003 01:31 AM

DD clipped wing or not

I just ordered the kit. I'm having trouble imaging the actual speed. Cause just about everyone at my club is into funfly planes. When I fly the Arrow everyone stops to watch. So the Dust will be very interesting to the guys. And a real thrill for me.

I've got a Webra 52 heli motor not being used right now. I may try that.

FlooredCOBRA 05-06-2003 01:44 AM

DD clipped wing or not

well they will get a kick out of your dust for sure. We have only 2 at our club, mine and a friend of mine and he has a 32 in it.

Mark my word the guys at your field will say over and over. "I cant hardly see that thing much less be able to control it"

I know one time I went to fly my Dust and right after I launched it and got turned back around my needle valve came loose. It richened up bad in air and was putting around. They guys started clapping and said " Now we can finally see the damn thing, thats more like it!"

Right before it ran out of gas it leaned out and sped up for about 2 seconds then died. That flight was only 2 seconds of joy. :rolleyes:

mumblety-peg 05-06-2003 01:57 AM

DD clipped wing or not

I've had a few 2 seconds of joy flights. But that was due to poor hand launching. :rolleyes:

Hence the name mumblety-peg

mum·ble·ty-peg A game in which players toss a jackknife in various prescribed ways, with the object being to make the blade stick firmly into the ground

C roundy 05-06-2003 06:55 AM

Re: DD clipped wing or not

1 Attachment(s)
Mumblety-peg, When I Talked with Jeff Gilbert before ordering my ARF "Clipped Wing Diamond Dust" Jeff told me to expect slightly more speed bleed during extreme high G maneuvers but higher average and especially higher terminal velocity, while retaining every bit of the stock Dust's impecable tracking at high speed and rock solid low speed handling all the way to the touchdown flare.
I have been absolutely flogging my "Clipped" since January, and I am here to tell you that I have never been so amazed and thrilled by any other airplane's handling characteristics.
Obviously Jeff Gilbert knows his own creation well, ... but my personal impression is this: the clipped is superior
AT EVERYTHING . Even with a high RPM small prop setup it is holds its speed so well that it takes a brutal 60 foot Diameter loop to lose 10-15 mph; No matter how high the entry velocity... Mumblety-peg, if you have become proficient at seeing and flying deltas, then there is nothing I would say makes the Clipped Wing Diamond Dust any harder to fly besides the decreased reaction time imposed by this model's sheer speed range. so remember where the throttle or shutoff is if you get into trouble. ;)
P.S. If you want to know more about my setup see my replies to the "New Dust" thread started by "vetagator"
Chuck Roundy

C roundy 05-06-2003 07:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:cool:

C roundy 05-06-2003 07:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
DELETE

:cool:

FlooredCOBRA 05-07-2003 02:12 AM

DD clipped wing or not

That is one thing about the DD with the 46 FX is how well in can float. It will go fast but slow down very and still have total control. Landings are a simple, just line up and coast in like the space shuttle nose high and it flares perfectly.

To bad you are going to have to wait for your DD

Rudeboy 05-07-2003 10:28 AM

DD clipped wing or not

I like the "pipe- grip-handle-thingy".... looks very "handsome"...:p

I guess you couldn't wish for a better grip than the grip you have on that one...

mumblety-peg 05-07-2003 11:11 AM

DD clipped wing or not

Waiting is bad. So to keep my mind off of it I'm going to order this.

http://www.rcjets.com/f16/index.htm