RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   H9 80 Inch sundowner (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/7498350-h9-80-inch-sundowner.html)

TomG3D 05-15-2008 03:22 AM

H9 80 Inch sundowner

It says 1.80 engine reccommended with this but i'd want but make it insane.
50cc ?????

whats everyone else used???

vince.b 06-01-2008 01:40 AM

RE: H9 80 Inch sundowner

i have a saito 220 in mine and it came out just under 12lb.
It sounds pretty sweet and eats the sky big time. I have a 18x10 on 30%.
Next time i go out i have a gps to see how fast its moving. I have a 16x16 to try also.
DA 50 would fit and i have one but are field is not really set up for super fast planes.

proptop 06-01-2008 02:48 AM

There's a long thread in the Giant Scale Racing forum...

I'm building one for an old flyin' buddy...he's got a lot more $ than I do, and has a YS 1.70 to put in it :D

Vince...did you use the light or heavy stab tubes/rods? I'm thinking that the YS won't need the solid steel rods, and intend to use the alum. tubes.
How does yours balance w/ the Saito 2.20?

Edit: Nevermind...I found your posts in the ARF forum...(forgot about that thread :eek::D )

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_59...28/key_/tm.htm

airraptor 06-01-2008 04:24 AM

how about a moki 3.6 inline twin on 25% swinging a 20x20 apc:D

learjet45xp 06-01-2008 08:15 AM

Well heck, why not just put a DA150 in it! I think anything much over a 50cc will have very poor flying qualities, even a DA50 would be marginal. I am currently building one with a moki 2.1 and figure it should be good for a solid 130

vince.b 06-03-2008 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
proptop
i have the light tubes and the 1700 4cell in the back.
i also went with the carbon gear and wing tube. the carbon saves almost 6oz's
I also have the rx on the first bulkhead behind the wing.
it was right on centre cg with a apc18x12. and with a 18x10 xoar it is right on the rear mark.
the tank is in the stock location and at moderate throttle there the cg from a full tank to low tank is maybe a click on the trim.
i was going to put the ys170 in it but it just did not have the poop compared to the 220.
the 170 would also fit in the cowl i would think.
on the gps it hit 124mph with the 18x10. the needle was set 500+rpm off peek.
I have a pump to install because it sure needs one.
I have a 16x16apc to try but the saito guys at the club think it might over rev in the air.
but then again its fast enough and it pulls very hard and the sound is so awesome.
the 220 is a full once lighter then what the advertise.
the ys170 and the saito 220 power are very close but in the end it was sound and price.
when you get it running i would sure be interested in the prop and rpm.
I have a feeling tht the 220 may have a slight edge on the torque side.
but i could be wrong.

Sergio M 06-09-2008 08:25 PM

How about the OS BGX 1 with an APC 18/10, I am sure it is not maybe the fastest nor the best choice out there but thats what I have. My question really is how do you guys think it should fly with that combo ? should I consider a different motor ?. I am looking or should I say hoping to do around 120 mph. Thanks.

vince.b 06-25-2008 08:28 PM

there is a another forum with this topic
the guy has a bgx on a pipe and the 16x14apc 8300static he said the radar numbers were 144mph
the evo 35 is heaver then the DA50.
I have a DA50 that might end up in mine, but the saito 220 sounds so sweet :).
the DA50 is almost a perfect fit.. you would lose the little scoop on the bottom.
with the right size stand offs and a carbon wing tube would be a no brainer.

proptop 06-25-2008 11:30 PM

Update on MY Sundowner...:D
My ole flyin' buddy and I traded, and now I own it...but he kept the YS 1.70

I couldn't quite make myself pay 700 bucks for that engine, so I got a Moki 2.10 for 275.00 after reading about several other guys who have used that engine. I plan on using a Bisson Pitts muffler and the 16 x 14 or 17 x 12 that I bought for the YS, but I'm not sure if that's gonna be enough prop for the 2.10?

Flying freak 06-26-2008 08:27 AM

ORIGINAL: airraptor

how about a moki 3.6 inline twin on 25% swinging a 20x20 apc:D

If you mean 25% oil go for it!

If you mean 25 nitro than get your self some head shims thsi engine is ment to run on fai fuel or 5% MAX anythign more and you get pitting of the piston....

proptop 06-26-2008 11:12 AM

Forgot to say thanks for the info Vince...

Last night a friend flew his...powered with a Saito 1.80 it flew well...nice and smooth, but not exactly whacha'd call "fast" in his and my opinion.
Now I know why guys are putting 50cc gassers in this airplane ;)

The cowl is as wide as my Aero-Works 31% Edge :D:eek:

I'm thinking now that the Moki 2.10 (35cc ) should be a good choice (def. not overkill IMO ) and will test try just one of the steel stab rods...the long one w/ the bolt holes, for tail wt. and see what happens.

cuatfl350 07-03-2008 09:51 AM

hey proptop,
I just got me a 80 inch sundowner and I am going with the same engine. What is the prop to get it burning but still able to pull some basic loops and thing like that. I want the speed to be there when I want it not have to land change gears "props" and then go again. Hook me up with some 411. Thanks, Ronnie

nesikachad 07-03-2008 02:03 PM

Hi folks. While home this last time I put together a 80" Sundowner with a 35cc Evo gasser. I used an 18X10 prop and ran the engine on 107 octane VP racing gasoline.

Love that smell.

Flew like a champ until I got hit (hard) about 10' off the deck.

Confetti. Sad day.

I have a new ARF and the really expensive stuff looked like it survived, so there will be a rebirth!

Also picked up the 50 size and I have a .91 OS for it. that should really haul the mail.

Here's a few pics before and after the oops.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...S/DSC_0127.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...S/DSC_0145.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...DSC_0135-1.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...S/DSC_0123.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...S/DSC_0038.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...S/DSC_0037.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...DSC_0049-2.jpg

Axel40 07-04-2008 08:36 AM

You call that an "oops" :D

Sorry to see that man, beautiful aeroplane. I have the .50, can't see myself with the big Sundowner at my strip tbh.

When you say you were hit hard at 10' do you mean a radio hit?

Again, sorry for the loss man, these planes are to beautiful to destroy, I'll be in mourning for it for a while :)

Good luck with the replacement.

nesikachad 07-04-2008 11:54 AM

Yeah, it was a radio hit. I should have known better than to fly it again that day. Three other guys at our club also lost planes that day.

Experience is never cheap so they say. . .

The new one is still in the box awaiting my return from Iraq this October. I'll get r done by spring hopefully.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone set these up with flaperons for landings? I did, but was too chicken to use them. This was my first racer and the approach speeds were a bit intimidating. I had a bit of trouble cause I kept over shooting the approach; was quite a jump from my Funtana 90 and the other planes I have. I was able to land eventually ok, but it took a few passes to get it judged right. Our strip is on a bit of a slope and you often have to land down hill which doesn't help matters since the ground is always moving away from you.

I love the plane and the low level full boogie passes are just plain sexy. Can't wait to get the remix done and running.

Guys, one last question and this is probably a little silly sounding. I'm a car nut too. I have a blown/nitrous/methanol injected 2004 Pontiac GTO. I've seen nitrous kits offered for RC cars, does anyone make one for an airplane? I'd love to juice the next one!

proptop 07-04-2008 12:54 PM

ORIGINAL: cuatfl350

hey proptop,
I just got me a 80 inch sundowner and I am going with the same engine. What is the prop to get it burning but still able to pull some basic loops and thing like that. I want the speed to be there when I want it not have to land change gears "props" and then go again. Hook me up with some 411. Thanks, Ronnie

I'm still waiting for my engine...it's on it's way from "Moki_Factory" in Nova Scotia...supposed to be here any day now!?
I'm gonna try the 17X12 APC first, then the 16X14 and maybe another if those 2 don't quite work out.

Chad...sorry to see/hear about yours [:o]

I've thought about flaperons/spoilerons but don't think I'll need 'em...

airraptor 07-04-2008 06:19 PM

yes I meant 25% nitro but of course you would need shims i think you just add two more for a total of three. this was a very good and popular engine in the days of the giant scale racing crowd when it started. that crowd did move on to the herb engines with over 20-25hp and 300+cc

freakingfast 07-04-2008 10:26 PM

ORIGINAL: nesikachad

Just out of curiosity, does anyone set these up with flaperons for landings? I did, but was too chicken to use them.
Don't do it, you will induce a tip stall if you use down flaperons. Up reflex will not, but it may drop like a rock anyway.

When this plane reaches a certain speed it simply stops flying like you pulled the rug out...period. You need air speed and a long runway to land it safely.

ErikElvis 07-05-2008 12:22 AM

Your GTO sounds fun. I have a 02 sunset orange camaro SS sittin on stands in the garage awaiting a textralia clutch, trans rebuild, chromoly DS, and a fabricated 9" rearend with 4.11's. :D Wont be breakin any of that!

nesikachad 07-05-2008 09:40 AM

Roger on the tip stall.

No thanks, we'll just save it for a bigger field.

Thanks gents.

nesikachad 07-05-2008 09:42 AM

The car: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showpos...33&postcount=9

jmhernan 07-05-2008 04:03 PM

I have a Sundowner that I set up with a os bgx 3500, and I am assuming this is a good setup, I am was wondering what is the best plane to fly before I take this one up, i have not flown anything with this type of speed. Thanx

nesikachad 07-06-2008 08:42 AM

While I'm hardly and expert, I have roasted two of these buggers into the ground now. (I hate admitting that)

So, here's what I've learned. Make dern sure everything is right. I bought my last one about 98% done. The guy had a good rep so I wasn't too concerned about looking it over.

Big mistake. the vent line to the tank was too close to the exhaust and it melted shut. I did get it back on the ground ok, but it was out in a field and not the runway.

Just ensure you check and double check everything. Get a second opinion too.

The speed is certainly there on tap but the plane does run quite nice at half throttle too. Just keep it up high. The rates as suggested in the manual make for a very lazy flying airplane.

Landing speed is certainly higher than what I'd been used to. I encourage your first few flights be brief so that you have plenty of fuel left for powering out of a bad approach. You can't float it in. It has to be flown in. About 1/8-1/4 throttle and point the nose to the ground.

That's about all I can offer. Good luck.

hamshog 02-18-2009 12:51 AM

I have a Sundowner 80 and mounted at Evolution 26GX like Horizon recommended. But the two mufflers Evo makles won't fit. Anybody else suing this motor? If so what muffler are you using???????

Please help.

proptop 02-18-2009 02:55 AM

There's a Bisson Pitts style muffler made specifically for that engine (and the 35cc ) in the Sundowner.