RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Engine choice? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/7512534-engine-choice.html)

rabbid fly 05-18-2008 09:33 PM

Engine choice?

1 Attachment(s)
I am building an DC F20 and i am at the point where i have to decide what engine should i put in there?
I have two choices here.
1- Rossi 45
2- K&B screaming 48
I would like to hear the pros and cons about them and what size prop you guys recommend.
Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Phil

buddude8 05-18-2008 09:50 PM

RE: Engine choice?

i would go with the rossi. It is lighter and should spin more rpms.

Flyboy Dave 05-19-2008 07:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
....I have a Rossi in mine, and it is a screamer....18,100 on the ground.

Razor knows about the K&B's....they run well too.

Razor-RCU 05-20-2008 12:30 AM

Depends...you gonna run the stock muffler on the K&B? Ken is the Rossi really lighter than the K&B? If so, that is kinda scary...

I love both of those powerplants. I test everything on a 9x8 apc just to get some figures in my Excel spreadsheet and the K&B with the Ultrathrust muffler performs better (600rpm's more) than the Rossi-45 and mini-pipe. Although the UT is like $70 bucks.

I do not think the Rossi will out-turn the K&B with a decent tuned muffler. Again it all comes down to muffler/pipe combos. Dave's Rossi screams since he found the perfect pipe combo for himself. But I disregard his RPM figures since he uses MA props. It is impressive that is for sure but I can never seem to translate his figures to the APC equivalent.

In the end that F-20 is kinda draggy so I would use something like a 10x7 and these two engines will be purty close with that prop.
James

Razor-RCU 05-20-2008 12:39 AM

Hey quick question...Do you have either of these engines or are you buying one?

What is your top priority? Speed? reliability? price?

Let us know and we may be able to give you more specific advice-

rabbid fly 05-20-2008 06:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes i have both engines, the K&B is brand new but the ROSSI was bought used.

airraptor 05-20-2008 07:15 PM

my choice between the two would be the .48 but if i had the money laying around i would put a sport jett 76-90 in it. not the high rpm one but the sport one's. and run the 10x7 or if you can get one a bolly 10.5x7 very nice prop and pulls better than the apc with a bitmore rpm too.

Razor-RCU 05-22-2008 12:13 PM

Nice pic!

In the pictures format the Rossi will be faster. The K&B stock muffler is SUPER quiet but not for speed. ;)

rabbid fly 05-24-2008 08:49 PM

Well guys, thanks for all your inputs.
I will go with the Rossi on that one and maybe put the K&B in a D Dust. Where can i find a set of plans for on of them?

Phil

Razor-RCU 05-26-2008 12:08 AM

If you decide to hop-up the K&B get the UT muffler ($$) and it will whip the Rossi's *****.

Flyboy Dave 05-26-2008 05:48 AM

....the Ulta thrust muffler is also available for the Rossi's....

....in which case the K&B is toast....[sm=71_71.gif]

FBD. [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

rabbid fly 05-26-2008 06:51 PM

How about throwing a pipe on it? i have a couple of Mac and a Hatori.
I was going through my stuff and found one of Angel P's Rifle kit i totaly forgot about. That could be a combo?
Phil