RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Patriot 40 temp engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/7514712-patriot-40-temp-engine.html)

mumblety-peg 05-19-2008 12:47 PM

Patriot 40 temp engine

Hi Group,

I'm building a 40 size patriot. And at the rate I'm going it'll be a year before I'm done. It will eventually get a JETT 50. But I don't want to buy the engine and have it gather dust while I finish the build. But I need an engine to build the nose correctly. If I use an old .46 OS, will I be able to drop in the Jett when the time comes?
Thanks
Mitch

wjvail 05-19-2008 01:58 PM

RE: Patriot 40 temp engine

http://www.osengines.com/engines/dimension-metric.html

http://www.jettengineering.com/ Click on "Jett Engines" on the left side of the page. Then ".40 through .65L" in the middle of the page. Then "Click Here For Engine Dimensions" about half way down in the middle.

Well... the short answer is I don't know. While I own about 50 OSs, I don't own a Jett .50. Possibly the links above will allow you to compare the dimensions and answer your own question. I don't have the time right now to do the analysis on the engines but maybe you could post what you find. I would pay particular attention to the dimension that locates the spinner. My guess is that most of the dimensions are close enough but if one motor is longer than the other you may have a goofy looking gap at the front.

Bill

Edited to remove table and formating... too confusing...

Razor-RCU 05-20-2008 12:18 AM

Hmmm??? I am not sure if the foot-print is the exact same, the width of the case is darn near but I think the mounting lugs on the 46 AX/FX etc. are a hair wider than the SJ-50.

Bob27 will arrive any moment to spill the truth I bet!

James

hummingbird111 05-20-2008 01:03 AM

I have just recently built the 40. size patriot, and i have the SJ 50 in it, i think the mount holes line up the same as the OS 46 ax , i have one of those too, the problem i think you will have is the way this plane is built you will have to mount the engine in it when ever you glue in the chin block and all other nose parts. If you are putting the OS in first , you may have to do a hack job later getting the os out, and the Jett in,. [:o]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VAROOOOM!!!>.

buzzingb 05-21-2008 08:51 AM

I understand what you are saying here but you need to buy the engine that you are going to use on the plane for many reasons. With the builtup cowl you need to fit it around the engine tight as you can. The CG is impoartant here too as the Patriot tends to be nose heavy and may need addressing. Personally when I build my next Patriot I will lengthen the tail by a few inches so a larger engine can be used. The list goes on ......... I have just finished off a Thunder Tiger 46 on my Patriot and am looking for a replacement now. You need rpms and lost of them to make this plane fun to fly or watch. Most sport engines just want get the job done.

mumblety-peg 05-21-2008 09:02 AM

Thanks Buzz... I guess I'll just have to build faster!

bob27s 05-21-2008 09:21 AM

As noted, the dimensions are on the website.

The mounting hole pattern is the same as the OS46. So in that respect it will match up.

I am about 80% sure the distance to the drivewasher is the same too

The cutouts required for the carb will be different.

The muffler installation will be different (most folks have to sand the underside corner of the fuselage just a LITTLE bit to clear the muffler)

It is also useful to mount the Jett needlevalve on the airframe. Planning ahead for that is helpful when building.

funflyerf4 05-21-2008 06:46 PM

You need rpms and lost of them to make this plane fun to fly or watch. Most sport engines just want get the job done.

I have the Jett 60 lx in mine and yea it moves with 18,000 rpm + but Mark5 has it beat with the ys motor.

mumblety-peg 05-22-2008 06:00 PM

Thanks Bob, It sounds like I'm going to have to cough up the cash now for the Jett. I don't want to hack the nose. And thanks for the tip on the muffler and needle valve.
Mitch

mumblety-peg 05-22-2008 06:02 PM

funflyerf4, what YS is that?

phjoker 05-22-2008 06:13 PM

He has the Ys 60 on it. I saw it fly for the fist time last weekend
and let me tell ya that things moves. here is the link to his
patriot http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_66...patriot/tm.htm

I am about 1/2 way done with my patriot (40 size) and I am still undecided on
an engine yet.
Jett YS or ROSI. I am probally going with the Jett 60lx but not 100% sure yet.

mumblety-peg 05-22-2008 06:14 PM

The Rossi is pumped?

Razor-RCU 05-22-2008 09:13 PM

The Jett-60LX is best, a piped YS-45 is next then the Rossi's (53 then 45). I am not aware of a pumped Rossi-

Keep us posted!

mumblety-peg 05-22-2008 09:24 PM

I'm thinkin' the Jet 60. I just ordered the retracts. Seems like my fingers disobeyed me. My fingers type pumped Rossi. But my brain said pumped YS.

For now it's just spray and sand and spray and sand and spray and sand and spray and sand and...

Razor-RCU 05-23-2008 12:02 AM

Sounds good man...Nothing against ROssi's that is for sure. They are fina Italian engines that last a LONG time. When speed is the order of the day though the Jett takes the cake. dare I say the West-50 outperformed my Jett-50 on an APC 9x8 also but is designed for an 8x8 and smaller aircraft.

Cheers-

hummingbird111 05-23-2008 12:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a few picks of the sport jett 50 . Note how close the muffler is to the frame, i used glued on aluminum foil to protect from the heat,. works good.