RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   "Extreme speed prop planes" : not that fast actually... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/7774775-%22extreme-speed-prop-planes%22-not-fast-actually.html)

Strykaas 07-26-2008 03:12 PM

"Extreme speed prop planes" : not that fast actually...

I remained stuck today in front of what Dynamic Slope soaring guys are doing these days. 357 MPH [X(], yeah MPH. Incredible. They sure have a great know how about rock solid airframes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi0hrjqU15I

freakingfast 07-26-2008 04:40 PM

RE: "Extreme speed prop planes" : not that fast actually...

They taking readings on the up loop, I wonder if that's even the fastest part?

Strykaas 07-26-2008 04:48 PM

heh probably not. He would have to be down the slope otherwise... quite scary [:-]

Kmot 07-26-2008 05:48 PM

An X-15 is faster too. :)

combatpigg 07-26-2008 06:26 PM

Meteors crash to Earth at several thousand miles per hour, too.
I would be more impressed with their speed records if those planes had to have a dummy .60 sized engine mounted in the nose. ;)

Grodus 07-26-2008 08:43 PM

"did you hear that new noise"?
I hope I never hear someone say that when I'm flying.
I got news for the radar guy, Those ski googles are going to help if that thing comes from together and heads his way.

Awesome stuff.

SPEED JUNKIE 07-26-2008 10:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I guess I should just sell of all my plane's and drink the Kool-Aid cuz I can't keep up with the glider crowd.;)
I knew this day was coming.
:D
I will stick to my slow engine's. Thank you very much!
Rev on my bretheren![>:]

combatpigg 07-27-2008 12:56 AM

Imagine how much fun it would be to smoke the Worlds' fastest RC plane with a .40 powered trainer on a 10 lap pylon racing course. [8D]

SunShyne 07-27-2008 02:05 AM

that is really impressive, very cool video [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Strykaas 07-27-2008 05:10 AM

An X-15 is faster too.
Yeah, I know, it's a bit like comparing apple and oranges, but still :). What impresses me is airframe integrity.[X(]

By the way, flying PSS (which by definition is not very efficient) on these very specific flying sites must be kinda cool. :eek:

balsaeater 07-27-2008 05:14 AM

Yeah its good stuff
However for most of us there are not suitable local hills or suitable places to do this activity without to travel maybe ~1000 miles to get to the suitable flying sites for DS
So for fastest speed a suitable 180 kero turbine with a Kangaro or hot spot type Delata will do 320mph in a dive and sometimes360mph or even once did 420 MPH

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3220325 kero turbine speed event Brazil

The latest electric speed compition germany has hit ~260mph and glow 60 has hit ~250mph

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37..._4/key_/tm.htm

DS is good for getting the airframes shapes for high speeds and suitable equipment which has proved itself for 366mph so that when extreme props catch up the equipment will there to do the job

Then us guys who fly from local flat fields can also do high speeds

But in the USA AMA insurance stops at 200MPH so there is probably never going to be a speed event competition there and it will be speed events in Brazil and Germany that will set the pace or DS in the outback mountains of California

Me my own local clubs goes into a wobbly every time my s400 and F5d limited doing sub 150mph goes past

Balsaeater

Kmot 07-27-2008 11:05 AM

Instead of relying on radar guns, I wonder why the DS guys don't install those pitot tube systems that record the TAS onto a digital chip?

Strykaas 07-27-2008 12:21 PM

Can they work that fast ?

Strykaas 07-27-2008 12:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

Can they work that fast ?

Yeah yeah, 500 MPH for the How Fast unit.

Zman39 07-27-2008 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Instead of relying on radar guns, I wonder why the DS guys don't install those pitot tube systems that record the TAS onto a digital chip?

Agree. I was a certified radar operator and one of the first things taught with radar guns (especially K band) is you need to be locked in on the object for at least 3-5 seconds and dont radar vehicles that are in hard turn. They (instructors) proved it by demostrating on a known speed car ( I think I remember correctly, it was 45mph) going around a curve. We were getting readings from 30 - 60 mph. This was all back in the early 90's and I think most now use laser. I been out of that "biz" for 15 or so years.
Either way, the plane in video is indeed hauling butt. :)

Z

z06kal 07-29-2008 04:35 PM

Pitot tube would only give air speed readings. Figure on a 375mph DS plane it is usally flying in 60mph wind. The pitot would show 435mph airspeed as it enters the sheer and 315mph air sped down wind. That is why it makes the most sense to use ground speed.

Strykaas 07-29-2008 05:18 PM

AFAIK, when the glider flies in the calm part (behind the mountain), there is near to no wind at all... The point is that these systems record highest speed, or log speed as a function of time. We should have telemetry to use it.

JFisher304 08-02-2008 10:03 PM

ORIGINAL: SPEED JUNKIE

I guess I should just sell of all my plane's and drink the Kool-Aid cuz I can't keep up with the glider crowd.;)
I knew this day was coming.
:D
I will stick to my slow engine's. Thank you very much!
Rev on my bretheren![>:]
What engine is in that car? Straight 12 or V-24 [X(] ?

proptop 08-03-2008 04:37 PM

That's a Curtiss Conqueror V-12 from the 1920's
They were used in a number of Army Air Corps fighters of that era.
It's got 2 exh. valves per cyl. (and 2 intake as well ) so ea. valve has it's own stack.

SPEED JUNKIE 08-04-2008 12:03 AM

V 24 BABY!