RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Miss Ashley (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/7903617-miss-ashley.html)

RocketRob 08-30-2008 09:59 PM

Miss Ashley

1 Attachment(s)
RVRacing Miss Ashley II with OS .46DF

Still working it all out;)

Frickin pinholes.....

daven 08-30-2008 10:01 PM

RE: Miss Ashley

let us know how it goes, nice plane.

RocketRob 08-30-2008 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Dave!

It has been in the planning stage for quite some time.
The pipe aft the cg is helping the heavier engine installation.

Working on the engine fairing......:(

freakingfast 08-30-2008 10:24 PM

I can hardly wait to hear how it goes ![sm=teeth_smile.gif]

nesikachad 08-31-2008 03:31 AM

Your airplane reminds me of this:

http://www.mysterion.net/AAFA/rattra...oneagerat2.jpg

You are a sick little man. :D

daven 08-31-2008 06:52 AM

Any idea of where your weight on that thing is going to come in?

That pipe looks heavy.

Also, do not fly with aft CG and try to use rudder at low approach speeds. Its the only bad habit my Ashly has.

mk1spitfire 08-31-2008 07:50 AM

looks hot. beast
header a bit long????

what prop you got?

combatpigg 08-31-2008 12:03 PM

RR, exciting project! Grit your teeth and get through that fiberglassing BS, I hate it too.

ChrisAttebery 08-31-2008 09:46 PM

I was told not to use the rudder at all once the motor shuts down. It will glide a hell of alot farther than you think it will. I've tip stalled mine twice trying to slow it down after I've overshot the runway. I just got it cleaned up and ready for another batch of screamin fast flights and hairy landings.

Any tips on setting up for a landing Dave?

Chris

ORIGINAL: daven

Also, do not fly with aft CG and try to use rudder at low approach speeds. Its the only bad habit my Ashly has.

airraptor 09-01-2008 01:12 AM

Keep her light and she will fly right!! lighter weight = faster speeds and slower landing speeds.

daven 09-01-2008 07:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"Any tips on setting up for a landing Dave? "

Best advice I can give, is practice. Also, try to avoid flying early or late in the day when the sun is low. These things can get tough to see when they drop below the horizon. I like to paint mine with contrast as I think its easier to see. Hope you have a long runway, and just give it time to let it settle, it will seem like it will glide forever, don't try to force it to the ground.

Here is mine, its due for some new paint, just don't like the idea of stripping it.

vertical grimmace 09-01-2008 09:53 AM

Where is this plane available?

daven 09-01-2008 02:00 PM

Contact Rusty Van Baren at:

[email protected]

I'm not sure what he charges these days, I've had mine for over 6 years and it was expensive then. Not really designed for sport fliers, this is still a competitive Q40 racer.

airraptor 09-01-2008 03:35 PM

ANY tips for landing ? well sand the leading edges near the tips about 12" or. to remove the mold line.

also in not in competive racing then put a 3/4" stip of flourence(sp) orange tape on the leading edge's of the newly sand tip and it greatly help in keeping the wings level. the orange will contrast very well with the ground during landing.

vertical grimmace 09-01-2008 07:39 PM

I have found that mixing in flaperon into the ailerons helps with my really fast planes. Not sure if it will be beneficial with this design but you might give it a try. The key is to get the thing dirty in the air to create drag as there is hardly any to start with.
I have talked with many of the top local racers here in Colorado about this though and they said it still really did not help at this altitude with their QM 40's (5200').
I have not owned a QM 40 design but I have flown very fast F5D electrics and I think they may be similar. Very tough to slow down.
Have a very shallow approach, and do not carry hardly any altitude in your final. Any altitude will turn into airspeed when descending.

RocketRob 09-01-2008 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Whose brilliant idea was it to put the carb in back[:@]

Made good progress today - sorted out the carb linkage, Jett bladder tank (squeezed an 8oz'er in), rudder linkage, floated in the gear, faired in the motor acess fairing, sanded my pin holes.

The plane is well built and quite a bit less than some of the more recent Q40 moldies.
Having said that there is a bit more prep, as airraptor mentioned a bit of sanding and filling at the leading edge.

Rusty has suggested getting together to do this maiden.[8D]

ChrisAttebery 09-01-2008 10:31 PM

I guess I should have been a bit more clear. The problems I've had stem from overshooting the 500' runway. Our runway is paved, but the field around it is high grass with hidden rocks everywhere. Also, once I pass the runway there's a bike path another 300' or so away. I've pulled up elevator to slow the plane down, but then tip stalled. Maybe the CG is too far back?

I guess in a perfect world I would just go practice landing it until I got it right, but that's kinda hard to do with a plane that lands power off. I've take a couple month break to concentrate on practicing for our local club racing. Now I've got a 6 week break and the plane is back into flying condition. I'll just have to bite the bullet and take it up again.

combatpigg 09-02-2008 12:06 AM

Chris, next time you look at the "power on" trim of that plane, that should tip you off, a tail heavy plane will be trimmed with down elevator. 500 feet is pretty cramped, time to rig a drag chute.
I think it is more common to see this problem with nose heavy planes.

HighPlains 09-02-2008 12:20 AM

Chris,
Is Crows Landing NAS still available for practice? If it is, you would have unlimited space to learn how to place the airplane on the ground at your feet.

It is also easiest to slow the airplane down at altitude and then use slight variations in glide slope to control distance. Slightly slower (bit more up elevator) will lose altitude, while putting the nose down will increase the distance of the glide.

RocketRob 09-02-2008 09:43 PM

Havn't weighed her yet.
The prop is a 7.4x8.25 carbon APC - engine on stand w/o pipe runs up 22,600 rich static.
The header has not been cut yet.
I've been following FreakinFast's adventures with this engine on his deltas.

ChrisAttebery 09-03-2008 11:05 AM

HighPlains,

Never heard of it until you asked. I'll have to ask around.

There's a couple guys i the area that still race. I'll have to see if I can meet up with one of them and get some advice.

The funny thing is that the first few landings went pretty well. It may have been beginners luck, or I might just be overthinking it.

Rob,

Your's is going to be a rocket. I'm turning 23.5k static with the 7.4x7.5 and it's smoking fast. You're going to be another 15-20 mph faster. Are you still flying at Alameda?

Chris

RocketRob 09-03-2008 12:59 PM

Chris, We can't fly at Alameda any longer, seems the mayor decided it has better $$$ use potential, but rumors are it might come back. Not holding my breath.

I've been flying at SACRATS in Union City on the bay, lots of pickel weed to cushion those off airport adventures.
Also fly the fast/loud stuff at NASA AMES Moffit Field.

The suggestion of Crows Landing might well be a good one for both of us. I've been out there twice flying turbines , just a pia to get out to.

What engine are you running in your Miss Ashley?

ChrisAttebery 09-03-2008 02:24 PM

I'm running a Nelson Q40 SS. I know a couple of guys that fly at Moffit. I think Tom Hegland flys there too. He's a Q500/Q40 guy but I haven't met him. From what I have been told the "runway" is an unused street with curbs and 3' tall weeds on each side.

Madera has a great field. They fly off the full size runway. It's huge, but I really don't like driving all that way. I usually don't go flying on the weekends as it is. I just fly on my lunch breaks at Tomcats.

I'll either have to learn to land this one or total it and find something a bit easier to land to replace it. I probably should have bought a Q500 plane, but I love the look and speed of this one. It truly flies like it's on rails.

daven 09-03-2008 02:47 PM

They do fly great, quite a bit better than a quickie.

Landing is the toughest thing about flying these and practice is the only way you will get better at it.

RocketRob 09-04-2008 08:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No matter how hard I try - there is only so much can be done to hide this engine in this fuse....;)