RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   What engine for kaos (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/792408-what-engine-kaos.html)

coony2787 05-21-2003 10:37 PM

What engine for kaos

i was wondering in you alls opinion is the best engine for a 40 size kaos for speed , and just not terribly high in price ??? any input would be appreciated

Chad

Dustflyer 05-21-2003 11:53 PM

Kaos speed

If I wanted to fly a fast airplane I would not be thinking about a Kaos. It's a pattern airplane. The last thing you want in a pattern or aerobatic airplane is speed; you want pull.

Want to go fast? Forget the Kaos. It is a magnificent design but was never designed for speed.

If you want speed start thinking about the airplanes routinely discussed on this forum or get involved in pylon racing.

coony2787 05-22-2003 01:07 AM

What engine for kaos

wow you just bursted my bubble !!! the bad thing is i already have a brand new kaos sitting here :confused: . now i don't know what to do !!!

Chad

CONTENDER 05-22-2003 02:53 AM

Kaos

Chad,
Don't give up on the Kaos. I just finished one, am flying it with a Super Tigre (sp) 45abc, and am having a ball with it.
The thing is great for any type of weather, slows down to a walk for landings, and I have yet to stall it....just add power and fly on out of any problems.
However, if you have a Tower Kaos 40 ARF, be carefull when you build it....I found numerous problems including bad part fit, warped ailerons, poor tail attachment method...in fact I almost gave up on it.....but it was cheap, and flys great.
It' a great old design, and will be your favorite plane in no time.
By the way, any reasonable 40 or 46 will fly it. The Max 46fx would be a great choice, or the ST 45.
If you are looking for a great, cheap ARF for speed, try the Lanier Predator. It's a great quality ARF, only $120, it's FAST!!!!!, and easy to fly.
Good luck!
CONTENDER

Dustflyer 05-22-2003 10:20 AM

Speed Kaos

Chad,

The Kaos is not a speed plane, but if you want to make it go as fast as possible on a budget just hang something like a Tower 46 on it. I owned and flew a kit built Kaos extensively for years and a 40 really is on the small size even for aerobatic or pattern work.

I had an OS 46FX on mine, from the sound of your post probably more expensive than you want to go. But I wound up putting an 11X5 on it to slow it down and give it more pull. An inexpensive but good running engine like the Tower 46 or GMS 47 with a higher pitch prop should do what you want. Try an 11X6, 11X7 or 10X8 and see what happens.

coony2787 05-22-2003 11:30 AM

What engine for kaos

Well the reason i bought it was because back several years ago one of the guys at our club had kaos's and they sure looked fast back then . Maybe that was then and this is now . But the main reason i bought the kaos is because it has wheels and a rudder i want to guy fast but i like to make low knife edge passes about 3 foot off the ground at about 100 mph ;) . and other maneuvers , so are you all telling me that i cant have speed and maneuverability ??

Chad

Dustflyer 05-22-2003 01:15 PM

Kaos

You can have speed and manueverability with the Kaos, you are just not going to go anywhere near as fast as the planes generally discussed on this forum.

The Kaos is one of the all time great RC designs. It is also the basis for the Ultra Sport, which, as far as I could tell was a Kaos with a turtle deck. When I built my Kaos there was actually a die cut sheet of turtle deck formers in the kit that were not used.

The Kaos is a great flying airplane and a great was to get experience flying RC. Start out with a low pitch prop like an 11X5 and then go with an 11X6, 11X7, or 10X8 if you want to go faster. You might even be able to get away with a 50 in the nose if you don't mind spending a little more money. A 60 would be a bit much and kind of defeat the concept of the Kaos.

You will really enjoy the Kaos. Have fun with it!

Flyboy Dave 05-24-2003 07:36 AM

What engine for kaos

The new .52 magnum xls at $100. on sale this weekend
will kick butt.... :D