RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Suggestions for an airframe (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/7938687-suggestions-airframe.html)

petec 09-09-2008 10:19 PM

Suggestions for an airframe

I was setting up to build some fuselage jigs to fill a few orders and saw a box under the dovetail jig box on my table saw stand. It said computer powersupply but Iknew that couldn't be true even though IT is my line of work. I open the box and there is a brand new GMS 47 in it that I had posted to sell a couple years ago and boxed up but the buyer never paid for. I had forgotten all about it.

Now what should I do with it? Sell it or get an airframe for it? I have a cabinet full of YS an Jett engines so either way it's a freebie.

combatpigg 09-09-2008 10:42 PM

RE: Suggestions for an airframe

Petec, I would mount it on a broom stick and use it for a leaf blower. Might also spin a circular saw blade well enough to edge the lawn?

petec 09-09-2008 10:44 PM

I could always use it as a paper weight but I had a few of these and once you sealed the vacuum leaks they ran really well.

combatpigg 09-10-2008 07:42 AM

There's only so much free time any of us has. We could translate your dilemna into beer talk. You have a cabinet full of very fine brews, Jett Lager, YS Ale, just waiting to get drunk, then you tell us that you found a sixpack of some Chinese "industrial swill" under your tablesaw and would like to know which to drink from first?

petec 09-10-2008 07:48 AM

True, but it still BEER, and who doesn't like beer.

So, I guess a cheap Q500 airframe and a frosted pint glass are in order.

combatpigg 09-10-2008 08:09 AM

That sounds about right [TSAR], plus the flight ready Quickee can still be used for a leaf blower, too.

petec 09-10-2008 08:13 AM

It could....I'll need a pusher prop though.

Flyboy Dave 09-10-2008 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
....petec....

....I put one in an inexpensive Sonic from Hobby People, and I have a very fast sport plane. No, it's not a viable pylon plane....

....but it will whoop the pants off any sport plane at the field. ;)

FBD. :D

petec 09-10-2008 01:19 PM

That's what I'm talking about. I looked at Hobby People and I couln't find the Sonic last night. Hopefully I cna find a Dominator for sale for cheap on one of the for sale forums.

The only plane I have right now that needs an engine is my Magnum and it's getting a Jett 50.

daven 09-10-2008 01:59 PM

Check tower, I think they have Vipers in stock.

petec 09-10-2008 02:13 PM

They probably do but I have not purchased a thing from Tower for 4 or 5 years since I had a run in with them. I try not to buy too much from any of the Hobbico brands since then.

Thanks for giving me the info though.

wahoo 09-10-2008 03:51 PM

Hey Pete,

Try this.... a mix between pattern and 3D,

http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/comer...?idProduct=168

It's a kit... they're out of the ARF's,

John

petec 09-15-2008 09:49 AM

Seems that since Hobbico bought Lanier the Dominator line has been discontinued. I called and asked.

So my choices are a Viper that will need reinforced in the tail, firewall and LG block, buy a kit for another q500 design or get a set of plans and scratch build one.

Any suggestions?

BTW - Just got a Nelson 40 off fleabay so I might need two quickies.

petec 09-16-2008 09:26 PM

I wound up hitting a home run. The Nelson 40 I picked up was sold by a guy who wanted to sell his q500s as well. I am getting two Intimidators and a Viper plus the Nelson.

Now I will have a spare q500 airframe....ain't life grand?

Flyboy Dave 09-16-2008 09:30 PM

.... YEAH BABY !!! :D

petec 09-16-2008 09:37 PM

I'm pretty psyched about it.

Need to research the Intimidator now.

Lomcevak Duck 09-17-2008 08:18 AM

Cover it in black, with a big silver 3.

...ah, back when Nascar was more of a racing league than a rotating billboard.

petec 09-17-2008 08:35 AM

It's funny how NASCAR took off. I used to love watching Cale Yarborough race.