RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   KMP FlyCat 90 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/8026183-kmp-flycat-90-a.html)

BaldEagel 10-07-2008 07:16 AM

KMP FlyCat 90

Has anyone built the new 60" Flycat 90 yet? I have just got one and thought I would add to anyones thread if there is one already.

Only just got the fus back from my engine builder, I have a West tuned Webra 91 reverse rotation going in it.

Mike

BaldEagel 10-07-2008 09:21 AM

RE: KMP FlyCat 90

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I would add a pic of the engine and Genisis pipe made for it.

Mike

BaldEagel 10-09-2008 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well you get what you pay for, the front retract bearers fell out when the front former fell off when I was testing the fit, lots of Hysol going on all the formers and retract areas and main spar in the wing and fus, will post pics later after I have flexed everything a bit more.

Mike

EDIT: the white stuff around the holes is Hysol ready to put the bearers back in, not the hot glue that was used to semi attach the formers in China, it was very good of them to not attach everything well so they all came out very easily. LOL.

lou1947 10-09-2008 12:43 PM

I am just about finished with mine. I am going to use an Evolution 100. Wondering what speed you think we will get out of these birds. Also do you know where the gas tank goes. the instructions are of no help and they don't even mention where to put the gas tank. I seen no bracket or brace for it. I may just have to get some foam and cram it in the fuselage. Wondering where you are going to mount yours.

BaldEagel 10-09-2008 12:59 PM

I have a non marked tank, so I don't know the make, but it fits in the former at the wing tube position, I am going to position it over the C of G. Just in case you don't know the tank has to have the clunk at the back to work properly this means a long feed line to the engine if possitioned conventianally, may investigate putting the tank in backward and use a very short internal clunk, this may work have to experiment.

Mike

lou1947 10-09-2008 03:59 PM

Could you take a picture where the tank goes? I don't see a former other than one in the back of the fuselage. Thanks.

BaldEagel 10-10-2008 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The tank I have found fits exactly but is reversed from the ideal, I will have to put a short clunk on to keep it at the back, it will be installed with silicon mastic around the neck and the formers will be releaved to allow a silicon tube to be put on to allow some vibration dampening, the wing tube holds it in place, so its worked out quite well.

Mike

EDIT: the wing tube is not bent its just the angle of the picture.

lou1947 10-10-2008 02:35 PM

Thanks for the picture. Let me know when you fly the plane.

BalsaBob 10-11-2008 03:52 PM

I have one on the way. Wondering which retracts are a good fit ? Is there a set made specifically for it .... or are we on our own to match a set up ? Also, the ad reads it has flaps .... does it ? I did not see any on the pic of the parts. Thanks. Bob

BaldEagel 10-13-2008 08:25 AM

BalsaBob

No it does not have flaps.

I am using a set of SprinAir retracts, they are a set I have had for some time, so I do not know which ones they are.

Just one thought if you are going to do as I have and place the fuel tank behind the wing spar, ensure you check the C of G with the tank FULL, opposite to normal because the tank is behind the C of G so as you empty the tank the C of G moves forwards, if you set it up with the tank empty and then fill it you will have a very rearward C of G, nose heavy aircraft fly, tail heavy aircraft fly once, there are exceptions, but not many.

Mike

flyboytha1 11-09-2008 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Has Anyone Got Video Footage Of One Flying Yeah I'm Build Mine's Right Now Click To See The Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDOYvEe0pCs

Kmot 11-10-2008 01:50 PM

BaldEagle: That engine and pipe is sweet!!

BaldEagel 11-11-2008 04:31 AM

It certainly looks the buisness, unfortuatly I have had my arm in plaster for the last few weeks so have not been able to progress as much as I would have liked, when I run the engine up, I will post figures on here.

Mike

BaldEagel 11-12-2008 06:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After lots of sanding to the top of the fin I managed to get the aligniment somewhere close, the stab is made of balsa and the fixings into the stab are not good enough IMO to take the loads this will be subjected too, I am therefore thinking of permanently attaching the stab to the fin, may just make the fixings wider in the stab with a piece of carbon as reinforcement.

Mike

BaldEagel 11-13-2008 07:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After mounting the tailplane and looking how flexable it is, due to the uneven and small mounting area I have modified the top of the fin area to stiffen this up and give a better bed, this is a must do modification IMO as the difference in the fixing is outstanding, now to put some carbon tube in the stab to take the screws to ensure they do not crush the rather soft balsa? the stab is made from.

Mike

BaldEagel 11-24-2008 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I considered the winglets to be a bit hanger vunerable so I have made them removable to allow better storage, drilled through the wing tip into the winglet and put a blind nut on the winglet then let a piece of carbon tube into the wing tip to allow the bolt something to bolt up too, this is much easier if you do it before putting on the aileron.

Mike

BaldEagel 11-24-2008 09:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have extended the retract legs to take into account the prop I will be using, needed more ground clearance, the wheel whells are now hard up against the root rib.

To get the aileron geometry correct the servo horn has to be offset somewhat to get a straight push rod to the hinge line.

Mike

BaldEagel 11-24-2008 10:50 AM

Just fully rigged the FlyCat and there is no way I can get the C of G anwhere near the 305mm behind the wing joint to the fus, I will need so much weight at the back its a nonsence, will have to move everything up front to the mid point, main problem will be the steering servo and some very long closed loop connections to the front, I will also take off the trainling link front leg and weigh it to see if I can save some weight there as well.

Mike

BaldEagel 11-26-2008 05:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got everything moved back under the hatch, cockpit looks a bit empty, but I have no need to put lead in the tail now, the space between the tank and the wing tube takes a 5 cell NiMh well, I have also put a tube into the fus to take the wing spar, with a little work a TREX 500 electric helicoptor tail boom works as a wing tube.

Mike

BaldEagel 11-27-2008 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bottom hatch now hinged and canopy hatches installed, I hate having to undo screws to get into a hatch I always seem to drop them in the grass never to be found again. LOL

Mike

Knife Liddle 12-07-2008 09:49 AM

Have you flown this yet at the suggested CG?

BaldEagel 12-08-2008 05:23 AM

Not yet, I have an engine problem that needs to be sorted, possibly next week-end.

Mike

rebranger 02-06-2009 12:42 AM

Anybody ever figure out what the correct CG measurements are?
I balanced according to the manual & have flown it. Seems OK.

adetoyinbo2 03-22-2009 07:24 PM

hello all .

i did maiden today with the cg specified in the manual, 305in but still came out tail heavy.the plane was total.i will like to know if anybody have sucessful flight with the manual spec.

thanks
jimmy

BaldEagel 04-11-2009 05:29 PM

Flew mine today with the C of G about 75mm in front of what is in the manual, I just did not belive their recommended position, took off Ok but had a dead stick at about 100 ft the aircraft just stoped all forward momentum and went into a flat spin, now when I say flat I mean absolutly flan, the fus was horizontal and the wings level, not matter what I did with the elevator the pitch did not change and it pancacked into the field one over from the one I was flying in, with very little damage due to the flat nature of the impact, the flat spin and no pitch change I put down to the high tail and short moment arm of the elevator.

In the early days of my flying carrear there was a film called "High incidence manouvres in Buckeneers" this said that when in a flat spin, first hot start one engine then look at the alitmeter, then cold start the other engine, look at the altimeter, if both engines re start dive to pick up speed and pull out of the flat spin, if at any time the altimeter reads under 10,000ft bail out, the airframe takes over 8,000 ft to pull out of a flat spin, this was also the instructions of a VC10, what do they all have in common, a T tail and short moment arm, so all in all not a succesful flight, may do the minimal repair on it or use it to BBQ a few things, lots of other things to build so may not bother.

Mike