RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Juno RC F-18 Build and Mods (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/8095663-juno-rc-f-18-build-mods.html)

Blade47 10-29-2008 10:55 AM

Juno RC F-18 Build and Mods

OK we know that the F-18 as is will fly and is a very cool kit to build .... BUT ....I am going to build one :D with some mods.

So I placed a order and looks to be a two week back order before I even get going ...then add 3 weeks for shipping ...so if I am Lucky it may show up the end of November.

My list of mods
1) Shorten fuse by 3" aft of the TE so it will move the Fins closer to the wing and look more scale. ( this has been done by a fellow in Australia and flew well.)
2) Shorten wing by 1 1/2" each side.
3) Shape the LEX to mold well to the LE of the wing.
4) Dual place canopy
5) Using Spring Air retracts move stock location back so the spring will face forward and retract forward as well
6) A better control method using one servo for the Rudders or none at all and fix rudders in place.
7) Remake the Ailerons so they are wider at the fuse sides and smaller outboard.
8) ???????

Add to the list if you like and let me know about the ones I have picked to try.

Power ....what engine to use?

NoOneFlysAtMyClub 10-29-2008 07:57 PM

RE: Juno RC F-18 Build and Mods

1 Attachment(s)
Like this.

Blade47 10-29-2008 08:48 PM

It will be close ..not sure if I can droop the LE :D as a matter of fact I know I can't ... mind you one fellow has made some for the SU27 from AK Models. Maybe I can send him the wing for the mod [X(]

NoOneFlysAtMyClub 10-29-2008 10:35 PM

I have a DC F-18 {same plane} built as instructed. Power is a ST .90 with a Mac's header, uncut and a Mac's quiet pipe. 12 X 8 Zinger prop. Great power package!!! Ultra reliable!!!

Mechanical retracts. They work, but are a pain. Always something wrong every flight.

Awesome flying plane. Fly's like it is on rails. Sloppy rudder linkage is not a problem, so far.

I was so happy with the first few flights that I bought a Juno F-18 and another ST .90.

This one will get Robart Retracts and some of the mod's you are thinking about.

Don't eliminate the rudders, they are very effective and add to the WOW factor when used in a low flyby.

Tony

Jim_Purcha 10-29-2008 10:53 PM

Looking forward to your build. I purchased the kit from Derek when the dollar was better. I'm finishing off a F-18 pusher (RCM 0.40 plans )at the present time.

Jim

Blade47 10-30-2008 08:10 AM

"Tony" ...Thank your for the input ..keep it coming when you think of it ..and how about a Picture of the F-18 you have now?

"Jim" ... Yeah the dang dollar has me about 126.00 for the kit ..oh well... Can you post a picture of what your pusher F-18 looks like? that would be great.

All F-18 pictures are welcome besides I need some ideas for the finish.

Jim_Purcha 10-30-2008 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Pete, I've been following your builds of the Midwest Striker and the AK Model. My F-18 is constructed from Mike Pastro's plans featured in RCM magazine. I have a build thread in the scratch build section. I'm getting to the ultrakote stages. You might find something helpful. I like the lines for the fuselage on the Junorc kit, except for the flat lex. I had to build mine up on the F-18. It wasn't too detailed on the planes. I show how I constructed them on the build thread. I would like to make another pusher as an electric model with plug in wings. If this one flys ok.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4763576/tm.htm]RCM F-18 Build Thread[/link]

Jim

Jim_Purcha 10-30-2008 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How about this? The interesting fact about some of the Canadian special paint schemes is that the (Jim Belliveau) designer's brother Mike is a member of the rc club I fly with.

ORIGINAL: Blade47
All F-18 pictures are welcome besides I need some ideas for the finish.

Blade47 10-30-2008 07:17 PM

Thanks Jim! you have a good start on the plane all right. I have done the F-16 in a similar scheme so will put this one on the maybe list.

I plan on beefing up the Lex as well.

I will drop by your thread and have a read.

Blade47 11-04-2008 10:08 AM

Have to think about the dimensions to get it to look a bit more scale.

Cemark Wingspan 47 in
Length: 61.5 in
Wing area: 596 sq in
Weight: 8.5 lbs

Juno RC Wingspan 53.0 in.
Length 59.0 in.
Wing Area 642 sq. in.
Weight 7.5 - 8.5 lb.

My Mods Wingspan 47 to 50.0 in.
Length 56.0 in. May be able to leave the fuse length if I can move the Fins closer to the TE with out to much trouble.

Hmmmm ...any Ideas out there???

Blade47 11-07-2008 04:23 PM

Had a Email from Derek and looks like the kit will ship next week.... I liked the items I used on the F-16 and how well they performed that I have them on the way as well.

PowerExpander Sport
Spring Air 101HD
TruTurn spinner Black

As for the power plant and muffler ...well I have some time yet to think about it.

NoOneFlysAtMyClub 11-13-2008 09:08 PM

Another possible modification. Flying stab. How about a servo on each side with a pull-pull set-up, slop free? I think so if done the right way.

Blade47 11-13-2008 09:47 PM

Hmmmmm .....have to think on that one ...maybe Don H can come up with a drawing ... Thanks Road.

NoOneFlysAtMyClub 11-13-2008 11:53 PM

The flying stab should get the airfoil treatment. Slab wood would not be cool!!!

As soon as I finish a bathroom remodel I should be able to start the F-18.

I think the flying stab is a must do!!!

Tony

Blade47 11-24-2008 05:05 PM

Raod? when you get your bathroom finished are you going to post your build in with this thread as well? That would be cool if you did.

Jim_Purcha 11-24-2008 05:45 PM

Hi Peter, has you F-18 arrived yet?

Jim

Blade47 11-24-2008 05:55 PM

No ....[:o] ...still waiting ..but I do know that it is on the way ... maybe this week depending on Customs and how many times they open and close the box :D

Blade47 11-27-2008 04:15 PM

BIG Box of wood just came in the mail :D I have the plans and instructions out on the table and will dry run the build this weekend to see what I need to change up.

Need to place a order with the Hobby shop for building supplies and then I am good to go.

Blade47 11-30-2008 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK we have a start ... Marking all parts to the plan ...this is the first time I have not seen extra wood in the kit from the cut outs ..in other words all scrap has been removed to save space and shipping I would think ..very smart...

Next working with the fuse sides marked on the former positions and moved the aft formers ahead 3" and cut off the remaining part ...changed out former #4 with #5 as it has the fin guide notched in the top plus added 1/4" balsa backing for spacing and added glue surface to cover joint along with the 3/4" tri stock.

I need the nose gear now to drill and mount the gear into place before I glue into the fuse sides.... so will turn my attentions to the wing for now.

Blade47 12-14-2008 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A wing is wing is wing ..still waiting for the retracts to work on the fuse ... have a couple things planned for the wings that I am just working out now,

Blade47 12-29-2008 01:19 PM

Placed a order for stuff from Edmonton HS and will ship next Monday ... retracts still not here ...Will be working on joining the wing half's this week and have them ready for full sheeting when my order comes in next week. I have also removed the outer wingtip bay on both sides and reduced the wing to 47"

Hope everybody had a great holiday

Cheers

Blade47 12-31-2008 02:24 PM

Good news ...retracts are on the way ...would think they will take two weeks to get up this way ...lots of time to finish the wing.

Blade47 01-07-2009 11:16 AM

Wing is sheeted in and have pictures to post tonight.... I have some NO BS batteries on the way ..has any one used them? I have a 6V 5 cell 1100 ma RX and 8 cell 1100 ma TX on the way.

Cheers

phjoker 01-07-2009 02:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Blade47

..has any one used them? I have a 6V 5 cell 1100 ma RX and 8 cell 1100 ma TX on the way.

Cheers
I have been using them for a while. I like them alot.. they are heavy duty haven't had a problem with one yet
just got 2- 6v 5c 2000mah for the boomerang sprint. You are gonna like them.

Blade47 01-11-2009 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking forward to using the batteries then PH.

I should have the wing finished this weekend .... just need to make the control rods ...cut out the section for the fuse to slip into and do a nice clean up sanding.

You can see the outboard tips that I removed.