RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Shrike 40 Kits Available (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/8124825-shrike-40-kits-available.html)

Mustang Fever 11-07-2008 06:12 PM

Shrike 40 Kits Available

I suspect there's more than a few of us still looking for these, since Tower bought Lanier and trashed most of the proudct line. I did a search on Yahoo under "Shrike 40 Kits", and found a place in Edmonton, AB, called Hobby Wholesale, after searching through about 8 pages of results and going up many blind alleys. The kit was on their list, so I closed my eyes and hit the "add to cart" button. It went through, even down to the point of getting the automatic email for confirmation. Kinda steep- $85, but I've really been wanting to get one of these and do it right, after destroying four of them. The only airplane I've ever flown that was as smooth and fast is my Mikulasko Arrow.

hobbywholesale.com

This time, I'm going to make patterns for all the parts before I start building, and copies of the plans.

I'm probably going to shorten the nose or lengthen the tail a little to make it easier to balance, and mount the fuel tank near the CG and use a pump so it won't be so dang nose heavy like they always seem to be. I'd like to use a Jett 40 BSE, but I'm nervous about the price. I'll probably end up with a 46AX and a Mac's muffler to get the weight down.

Retracts would be the cat's butt on this, like one I saw on video, but I might wait on that, and do the first one as a hand launched bird.

LeeHop 11-07-2008 06:34 PM

RE: Shrike 40 Kits Available

How hard are they to hand launch? I like the idea of a clean airframe!

Mustang Fever 11-07-2008 07:44 PM

LeeHop:

The one hand launched 40 I built had a 40LA, and was fairly light, but in no wind conditions, it was real scary until it got up enough airspeed. I nearly lost it a couple times.
That's why I'm thinking about landing gear- the one ARF that had did real well from a grass strip with landing gear.

soarrich 11-07-2008 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: LeeHop

How hard are they to hand launch? I like the idea of a clean airframe!
Mine always launched easily.

Mustang Fever 11-07-2008 10:17 PM

That is cool, Rich.

RightThrust 11-07-2008 11:45 PM

I've got a Shrike from years ago when they first came out with a YS 45 side exhaust, no canopy. The airplane screams and I built a dolly with tricycle gear for it to take off on. If anyone is interested I'll take some pics of it when I bring the airplane up.

LeeHop 11-08-2008 12:14 AM

I'd love to see some pics of the shrike dolly. Was it stearable?

Mustang Fever 11-08-2008 01:16 PM

Well, it was too good to be true. Wholesale is out of stock. Shucks.

LeeHop 11-08-2008 03:06 PM

How about a Diamond Dust as an alternative? Only $75 for the kit.
[link=http://www.diamonddustrc.com/index.html]DD website[/link]
Disclaimer: I have no financial interest, etc...

Mustang Fever 11-08-2008 04:20 PM

I thought about that one. Not very pretty, IMHO. If I was going to get one of the deltas, I'd probably go for the Vortex, but they've been out of stock all summer.

RightThrust 11-08-2008 11:53 PM

The dolly is not steerable. I soldered it up with the nose wheel straight. Doesn't cover much ground before it's airborne.

evan-RCU 11-09-2008 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: LeeHop

I'd love to see some pics of the shrike dolly. Was it stearable?
A stearable dolly...

LeeHop 11-09-2008 02:44 PM

Evan - thanks for the pics. It looks like this works for a plane with a rudder that fits in the wire thingy. Brilliant!