RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Prop For O.S. .46? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/8295695-prop-o-s-46-a.html)

Flyingman03 12-29-2008 06:20 PM

Prop For O.S. .46?

Hi I just recently recieved a diamond dust kit for Christmas and am really enjoying building it I have two questions.
I am going to put an O.S. .46 with a moosecan pipe the engine was broken in on a trainer and most of its life was a on a trainer will that affect the performance of the engine since it was originally broken in on a trainer?
What prop should I use?

Mike Connor 12-29-2008 06:23 PM

RE: Prop For O.S. .46?

If it is an FX I would use a 9x7.

406Joe 12-29-2008 06:28 PM

Being broke in on a "trainer" won't affect the engine. How the engine was broke in.....i.e. "needle settings", has everything to do with how the engine runs. If the engine was ran rich, then all is good. If it was ran lean, you might have premature engine failure. It really depends on what 46 you have, for what props you use. Myself, I like to use 10x4, 10x6, or 11x7. It's like most anything else, it's personal preference. Hope my two cents helps. Happy Flying, Joe

gsalort1978 12-29-2008 07:26 PM

Hi, could you give me a web site where I can buy a diamond dust kit? What is a price of it?

I am flying a diamond dust with an Evolution .45 power sistem with Rossi tuned pipe, 5 % nitro fuel and APC 9 X 7 prop. It flies well but I need more speed. Evolution is not enough for extreme speed and OS .46 AX or FX are similar to evolution engines.

Gabriel, from Argentina.

Crazy4Flight 12-29-2008 07:32 PM

first few flights 10x6 APC just to get some flying time in.

9x7 once you are comfortable with the DD.

406Joe 12-29-2008 07:36 PM

Just to know, What OS are you flying???????? LA, FX,?????????

MJD 12-29-2008 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: 406Joe

Being broke in on a "trainer" won't affect the engine. How the engine was broke in.....i.e. "needle settings", has everything to do with how the engine runs. If the engine was ran rich, then all is good. If it was ran lean, you might have premature engine failure. It really depends on what 46 you have, for what props you use. Myself, I like to use 10x4, 10x6, or 11x7. It's like most anything else, it's personal preference. Hope my two cents helps. Happy Flying, Joe
I'd say the choice is more dependent on the aircraft than the engine, although there are differences in the .46 models. A 10-4 is not of much use on a DD, it is a low speed high static thrust prop. The 11-7 is a good choice for the average sport .46 model, where you want to run the engine down in the lower teens to keep noise down and you don't need all the power you can get. And where the disc area is in need. The 10-6 is a great sport prop as it lets a .46 run up where it is starting to make good power, but it is still a hindrance to the potential of a DD with the low pitch speed. It is a good test flight prop though. A 9-7 as suggested or perhaps 9-8 APC is, IMHO, a good all-round choice for this setup - no matter which OS .46 I had I'd likely try these first. After that, maybe pylon 8.8-8.25 pitch or so and up from there (in pitch). But at that point I'd start thinking harder about which engine I was using.

And to repeat what was suggested - if you had to pick one prop, go with the 9-7.

If the engine is in question a few short high speed runs on the bench - 9-6 good choice, rich but fast 2-cycle (i.e. safely short of peak, use a tach if ya got one), with cool down periods between, never hurts. You'll find out what shape it is in pretty quick, better there than on an airplane.

MJD

406Joe 12-29-2008 10:13 PM

I agree a 9x6, 9x7 prop is a good choice for the DD, but it sounds like this is a second airplane. Crashing is NO FUN! If you went with a prop that "slowed" down both the engine and airspeed, their might be something left and the end of the flight. That's where my prop might be usefull. Like I said before "all to their own". The DD is a fast airframe, and might be a handfull???

Flyingman03 12-29-2008 10:17 PM

Thank you for all of your responses the engine is an O.S. .46 Fx The website where you purchase the planes is http://www.diamonddustrc.com/ and they cost $74.95 they kits are very good (I think I've only had 1 piece of bad material in the entire kit) the manual is excelent.

MJD 12-30-2008 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: 406Joe

I agree a 9x6, 9x7 prop is a good choice for the DD, but it sounds like this is a second airplane. Crashing is NO FUN! If you went with a prop that "slowed" down both the engine and airspeed, their might be something left and the end of the flight. That's where my prop might be usefull. Like I said before "all to their own". The DD is a fast airframe, and might be a handfull???
Hey Joe, I wasn't beating on you, and I just realized the main difference between our two responses - I didn't assume this might be his second airplane and you did, from his comment about the origin of the engine. I figured he'd be mad to build one for the second aircraft, and therefore assumed that the engine was simply scavenged from a trainer. Plus, he talked lucidly about the subject unlike most newbies, and he appeared on this forum to ask questions in the first place, so these things led me to believe he had more time under his belt. Yeah, if it is a second airplane, hoo-boy.. bring a trash bag. :)

MJD

406Joe 12-30-2008 12:44 PM

Either way sounds like Flyingman03 is having a good time building. That's what it's all about! The 46 FX is a great motor, and very forgiving nomatter what prop choice.
MJD.....I like your "Irish" saying

Flyingman03 12-31-2008 12:29 AM

:D