RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Camcorder advice? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/8318902-camcorder-advice.html)

combatpigg 01-04-2009 07:37 PM

Camcorder advice?

I've never owned one and would like to spend as little as possible to get one that will get the job done......that is filming high speed models and recording sound for doppler. The price range sure is huge, which makes the job of picking a good camcorder that much tougher. Are there basic performance specs to look for?

I'm not so interested in the ultimate viewing experience, mostly just want a machine that will work well for recording doppler. I can't see myself spending more than $300 for this gizmo.....to me that is a lot of money for something I've managed to live 53 years without.

Thanks for all advice.

dhal22 01-04-2009 08:59 PM

RE: Camcorder advice?

well, i would think that the cheapest versions could leave you wanting and the most expensive are not in your plans so try middle of the road to lower end. i have owned 2 in the last 5 yrs, basic low end models. one broke but the 2nd one has worked for a while. i wished it had a stabilizer mode and more optical zoom so that's why i recommend a little more than the cheapest one you can find. good luck.

HavinFun 01-04-2009 10:02 PM

If you already own a digital camera that can also take video maybe that will work for you. I have a sony Cyber-Shot that will also take video, I'm sure something like this will get the job done.;)

Kmot 01-05-2009 02:18 AM

Since doppler is important to you, look for a camcorder that has the best microphone in your price range. There are lots of good buys right now because the latest buzzword in camcorders is HD but the older ones are still excellent and selling for basically cheap in comparison.

Get one with an eye type viewfinder. The ones that have an LCD screen only for viewing are basically useless in daylight.

If you are interested in a used camera, I have a Sony DCR-DVD100 mini DVD camcorder in excellent condition that I want to sell. Cost me $990 when new. I will let it go for $100 plus $10 shipping plus Paypal fees. This camcorder will do the job for you. It is the same camera that I made my various Revver Brotherhood gathering videos with as well as dozens of others.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-review.htm

combatpigg 01-05-2009 10:12 AM

Thanks Kmot! I can't turn down an offer like that.

Kmot 01-05-2009 12:08 PM

You have a PM. :)

combatpigg 01-06-2009 04:00 AM

I have to say that coming here for camcorder advice worked out pretty good.

OK, now I'm in the market for a late 60s, early 70s muscle car.

MJD 01-06-2009 08:36 AM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

How about a '72 Valiant with a 198 slant six? [:'(]

I got the tires to chirp once by flooring it, waiting 10 seconds, then yanking it into gear. The wildest ride in that was when I fell asleep at the wheel (thanks, mono), crossed the road, and got T-boned by a L'il Red Express Dodge pickup.

MJD

proptop 01-06-2009 11:29 AM

I like that one...
Glad you're back CP...[8D]

Looking forward to seeing some vids of the machines from the CP Aircraft Factory:D

combatpigg 01-06-2009 01:10 PM

A friend in High School had a slant 6 with the push button shift on the dash board. The rest of us young studs had floor shifters. We used to tease the poor guy about the push button set up and offered to get him a sewing thimble with a HURST logo painted on it so he could feel more like one of us" greasers" [8D]

Kmot 01-06-2009 01:27 PM

lol......

In 1963 my older brothers friend had a 426 cu in Dodge Ramcharger or whatever it was called. It had a pushbutton tranny. No one teased him, as they were always in his rear view mirror. :D

MJD 01-06-2009 03:02 PM

A friend in High School had a slant 6 with the push button shift on the dash board. The rest of us young studs had floor shifters. We used to tease the poor guy about the push button set up and offered to get him a sewing thimble with a HURST logo painted on it so he could feel more like one of us" greasers" [8D]
In truth, it was a great first car for a kid just out of school. About as simple and stupid as an American car can be (well, almost.. I had a Pinto once). Our national hardware/homestuff/crap chain is Canadian Tire. In their weekly fliers there were always some automotive items listed. Whenever something was priced said "$39.95 and up" it was a good bet that the only part in that category that actually could be purchased for $39.95 would fit the Valiant.

I should find the picture of it after I got hit, I have it somewhere. Broken pelvis, minor internal injuries plus cuts and bruises, nothing some time didn't heal. Several years ago I had this itchy lump on my left arm near my bicep, and I thought it was a zit or something, and when I checked it out, a chunk of glass came out, apparently it had worked its way back to the surface over the course of a few years. Darn stuff doesn't show up on Xray too well.. that's why you should never use glass for mixing explosive or pyro comps. Handy advice eh?

MJD

combatpigg 01-06-2009 11:14 PM

I've had glass and stainless wire rejected by my body the same way......way after the occurance.

Kmot, at least MOPAR could have put the push buttons down on a console mounted hand grip :D All the wild stuff they had to offer made up for it

AIRFREAK-1 01-10-2009 06:39 AM

When you are filming don't look through the view finder. Hold the camera up to your face and sight down the top of the camera like its a rifle and move your head while tracking the object like the camera is a part of you. You will have to adjust the focus before you start filming, but you can practice on a slower airplane first. I personally use a CANON ZR90, but any camera will work. Regards, Scott.;)

Kmot 01-10-2009 11:42 AM

That's a good tip Scott. As for focus, the best thing to do is set the focus to MANUAL and then adjust it for INFINITY. That way it stays locked and avoids those in and out blurry moments we see so much of on internet videos.

ankaka 03-14-2012 10:04 PM

Getting a HD camcorder is taking a step backward in Video Quality. HD camcorders Interpolate the video, which means of every 25 frames of video, 4 or 5 frames are taken by the lens assembly, the other frames in between these are filled in by the camcorder inner circuitry, thus giving you not true video. This happens in every video they take. I will not mention any thing, other than to say, getting a HD camcorder, make sure you have the computer that handle HD video, one clue, You need a multi core processor and both an audio and sound card also. Any thing less and you will have problems with the footage a HD camcorder makes. And Windows Maker does not work with HD video.

ankaka 03-14-2012 10:08 PM

Getting a HD camcorder is taking a step backward in Video Quality. HD camcorders Interpolate the video, which means of every 25 frames of video, 4 or 5 frames are taken by the lens assembly, the other frames in between these are filled in by the camcorder inner circuitry, thus giving you not true video. This happens in every video they take. I will not mention any thing, other than to say, getting a HD camcorder, make sure you have the computer that handle HD video, one clue, You need a multi core processor and both an audio and sound card also. Any thing less and you will have problems with the footage a HD camcorder makes. And Windows Maker does not work with HD video.