RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Looking for a Q500 plane (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/8329461-looking-q500-plane.html)

tIANci 01-07-2009 11:20 AM

Looking for a Q500 plane

I am about to get my GP Viper up ... but I recently ordered myself a nice Jett BSE 50. One of my pal's tells me to just go get myself a 'real' Q500, not the latest winning design but something that won a few years back as it would be cheaper but yet a true blue race machine. Can anyone let me know where to get such a plane and if USD250 would be enough to own a competitive plane. I would prefer something like an ARF as I am not that much of a builder. Thanks!

MJD 01-07-2009 11:49 AM

RE: Looking for a Q500 plane

ORIGINAL: tIANci

I am about to get my GP Viper up ... but I recently ordered myself a nice Jett BSE 50. One of my pal's tells me to just go get myself a 'real' Q500, not the latest winning design but something that won a few years back as it would be cheaper but yet a true blue race machine. Can anyone let me know where to get such a plane and if USD250 would be enough to own a competitive plane. I would prefer something like an ARF as I am not that much of a builder. Thanks!
Go to Matney models: [link=http://www.matneymodels.com/q500.html]Matney Models Q500 page[/link]

You might see something just like what you want... four models on this page, skip the first one and scroll down. You might be surprised at the price. But these are not ARFs, although they are not difficult to build. As for ARF's, well lessee, there's the Viper, the Predator, the.. um.. I don't know of any else but others might.

If you are not actually racing Q500 the Zoomer looks kewl.

MJD

tIANci 01-07-2009 11:54 AM

MJD ... TQ TQ TQ! Maybe its time to learn to build a bit ... hahahaa ... The prices are good, fuse is built and wings are foam core. The 1st plane looks interesting, especially the price! Zoomer has that 'I Am Fast' look.

MJD 01-07-2009 12:08 PM

MJD ... TQ TQ TQ! Maybe its time to learn to build a bit ... hahahaa ... The prices are good, fuse is built and wings are foam core. The 1st plane looks interesting, especially the price! Zoomer has that 'I Am Fast' look.
4 bills might be high for a sport plane unless you sell pharmacueticals for a living, but you get a whole pile of top notch work already done for you in a competitive airframe.

All the others are short kits (and very attractive pricing), you supply wood and hardware, which is a good idea anyways to save money and get the hardware you like.

MJD

vicman 01-07-2009 12:25 PM

The short kits with tabbed laser cutting go togeather very easily too. You could get most of your building done in a few nights if you drink while building and are slow like me.:D

tIANci 01-07-2009 12:41 PM

MJD ... the short kits are a fair amount of work compared with ARFs. :) Anyways, yeah, 4 Benjamin Franklins are a lot bearing in mind for a little more we are talking about a nice 50cc plane. Anyways, you got any idea how complete is the plane? What more might need to be done to get it up flying?

Drink as you build? Hehehehee ... that's interesting ...

MJD 01-07-2009 12:58 PM

MJD ... the short kits are a fair amount of work compared with ARFs. :) Anyways, yeah, 4 Benjamin Franklins are a lot bearing in mind for a little more we are talking about a nice 50cc plane. Anyways, you got any idea how complete is the plane? What more might need to be done to get it up flying?

Not first hand, no. I imagine you install all the equipment and go fly. Maybe write them an email? I just got off the phone with them, asking silly questions about how I could kit bash a Zoomer. Good help.

MJD

tIANci 01-07-2009 01:18 PM

MJD ... its 2:15 am now, guess time to hit the sack, rise early and then send an email to Matney Models! Thanks ok!!!

MJD 01-07-2009 01:39 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: tIANci

MJD ... its 2:15 am now, guess time to hit the sack, rise early and then send an email to Matney Models! Thanks ok!!!
[/quote

Hmm, it's 1:38 pm here, and I haven't done anything constructive yet today. Time to get going! (yawn..)

Cheers.

rmenke 01-07-2009 02:07 PM

tiancy:

Kevin will help you along with choices of various items. Most critical is the selection of the airfoil. Yes, the 10% is fastest, but also hot landing. Sugggest you fllow his recommendations and use the 15% or whatever. Flys more like a sport airframe and will scoot still. I forget what he charges for skinning the wing, but its worth it. Follow instructions wih care and you will have a great scooter. Its a great bird for the bucks. You gotta (should) learn to do some building, or you will miss a large part of the sports pleasures. Many of us old, and not so old dogs build our own designs with good success. You get what you want and can be prowd of your work. Think I built around 10 flying wing delta things in the 70's before I came up with something that would fly well. No such things as D/R or expo. or flaporon in those days, so you had to be right on and a little creative for the control surfaces. DRemember, quite a few of the aircraft pioneers were not engineeers, just guys with a great eye for form and function. Lear, Hughes and a host of others not to mention a couple of bycycle mechanics. Try it, you will like it, honest. One thing, if you have what you think is a good idea for a modification of design and the first effort does not work so good, keep working on it until its right. You learn something with every effort. ENJOY

vicman 01-07-2009 02:24 PM

Roger is right about missing out on a large part of the hobby. To be honest I like the build as much and maybe more than the fly.
I've never gotten bored building...flying is a little different.;)

vertical grimmace 01-07-2009 07:34 PM

I highly recommend the zoomer. I did a build thread a year ago on mine and it is still flying very strong. I only have a TT .46 but with that BSE .50 it would really sing along. This is one of the best flying planes I own. Very smooth and easy to fly. Fast on landing but flaperon helps to slow it down. I grease just about every landing. Get the long, formula 1 wing.
You should be able to find my thread. Lots of pics.

Here is the link to the thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_64...tm.htm#6499138

Crazy4Flight 01-07-2009 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.aerocrafts.net/page12.html

I flew a Viper to get the feel for the V-tail...firewall failed. ST.51 on the Viper

Aerocrafts Xciter with DETROIT RED WINGS logo

vicman 01-08-2009 09:09 AM

How does the Xciter fly?

scoeroo 01-08-2009 09:27 AM

Vicman,

What's your poison while building,

I like the good old MGD

vicman 01-08-2009 11:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
MGD always gave me an incredible headache. It tastes fine but man within ten minutes I'm lookin for a drillbit.

CC reserve and ice keeps me pretty happy and off the furniture. [8D]

tIANci 01-08-2009 11:38 AM

Guys ... thanks for all the info. I know building is really fun but at times when you get back from work you just don't have any excitement to build. Moreover, we got no winter here so there is no down time. :)

Crazy ... thanks for the link, the Xciter looks like a very good choice. Is the quality better than the Viper, meaning, will she hold together well with a hot motor? What motor doyou have on yours?

Scoe/Vic ... I would love to see you both get together to build a RC car ... drinks ... drinkers ... nuts and bolts ... hahahahaaaa

vicman 01-08-2009 01:31 PM

Wilson, I got out of full scale motorcycle and car racing when I discoverd these little airplanes. Lots of history with cars.
I can't think of a better way to unwind after a day of work than a few glasses of ice, tv in the background, and a pile of stuff to do in the shop. [sm=angel_smile.gif] The wife likes model airplanes much more than the car days. She knows exactly where I am and what I'm into every night.[8D]

tIANci 01-08-2009 01:39 PM

Vic ... hot cars/bikes attracts hot chicks ... yer wife knows what she is doing ... stick to planes!

jaka 01-09-2009 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi!
-But you haven't glued on the front hatch! No supprise the firewall did not hold on your Viper.

tIANci 01-09-2009 12:17 PM

Going back to GP from EP has been frustrating ... Super Sportster 40 does not fit anything but a TT/OS 46 style motor or a Saito 56 style. Sigh ... then comes the Viper, to fit my Rossi 53 I will need to mod the backplate mount. Man oh man ... I feel so frustrated that I might as well just wait for the Jett50 and put it on the Viper, see if the firewall rips off or something else will come off! This is frustrating. Nevermind ... I shall press forward ... hahahaa ...

vertical grimmace 01-09-2009 02:31 PM

You should pin and epoxy your firewall. Also add glass cloth to the outside. Then it should hold on just fine.

jaka 01-09-2009 03:36 PM

Hi!
Don't use the Rossi .53...it's way too heavy and not that powerful compared to a Nelson or Jett. And do use a Tettra tank!
Get a .40 engine so that you can compete!!
Pylon racing is and has always been the ultimate thrill in R/C .

vertical grimmace 01-09-2009 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
Don't use the Rossi .53...it's way too heavy and not that powerful compared to a Nelson or Jett. And do use a Tettra tank!
Get a .40 engine so that you can compete!!
Pylon racing is and has always been the ultimate thrill in R/C .

I agree, get an engine you can compete with. Better than just boring holes in the sky. Or even save some money and just put a TT .40 on it and enter 424.

Crazy4Flight 01-09-2009 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
-But you haven't glued on the front hatch! No supprise the firewall did not hold on your Viper.

I got the VIPER second hand, and just flew it.