RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Diamond Dust, Shrikes or Force one (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/8463812-diamond-dust-shrikes-force-one.html)

eyeofra1678 02-11-2009 12:12 AM

Diamond Dust, Shrikes or Force one

What one is the best delta Diamond Dust, Shrikes or Force one and why? I have a Shrik .10. And I have the kits for the Force one and Shrike .40

combatpigg 02-11-2009 12:59 AM

RE: Diamond Dust, Shrikes or Force one

They are all fun in their own way, but the DD is easily the most bang for the buck. Set your first one up with a .32-.36 caliber engine and 8x8 prop.

freakingfast 02-11-2009 02:58 AM

I built a shrike 40 arf and I was not impressed with it's performance. The engine was webra 55 with a mac's tuned pipe mounted sidewinder style ( pipe under fuse to the right of the nose wheel). It's was turning an APC 9x10 @ 17,000 on the ground and unloads well in the air on 15% wildcat fuel. Several things. One, the top speed is much less than expected estimated top speed about 125 mph (must be that landing gear drag, lots of wind noise on close passes).Two, the high speed stall (snap) is wicked with hard elevator (don't try this low!) Three, this thing want's to land hot, too slow it just drops out of the air. It did have a very fast roll rate. Some people have reported flutter problems but not this one. Sold it.

I built a force One and it was nice flying with no bad habits. It moved along ok with a Evolution 46 NT in it, just noisy with the prop chopping air though the slot. Landing was kinda cool with the nose up like the Space Shuttle but other that it was a bit boring. Sold it.

Diamond Dust...Never will I sell them, just too much fun with almost any engine.

Wiggy 02-11-2009 06:33 PM

Diamond Dust is great!! The secret to the speed of the DD is it's light weight. They fly the very best with a .32-.36 engine with a pipe or mousse can from Flying Z in Kentucky. It is one of my "must have" planes. I am currently flying numbers 8 and 9. These are so much fun when there are several of them in the air at once. The most deltas flying at once when I was flying was 18 at Hodges hobby in Andersonville Georgia a couple years ago.

Why 8 and 9, you ask? Well these are fasssst and gravity sucks. They are not well suited to fly through a midair collision either.

I have a Wild Wiz, Outlaw, Whiplash and two Dusts. I love my deltas!

Check the Dust web site and get the recommended servos.

Billy

MJD 02-11-2009 09:41 PM

But, better for what? They are all deltas, but not all deltas are designed to do the same thing, just as all low wing monoplanes aren't. So better is a subjective term that relates what the airplane does to what you expect or want - to me that makes it impossible to answer this. I'm not being difficult; I'm just saying that this is too general to answer for me.

Based on adrenaline rush and wow factor, I'd say the DD is the clear winner.

MJD

evan-RCU 02-11-2009 10:11 PM

Outlaw.........

freakingfast 02-12-2009 01:45 AM

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

Outlaw.........
Yeh...I love my Outlaw too. That’s a different type of wow factor. The first time one sees the Outlaw do its thing it leaves the mind confused, "I couldn't have just seen that, what the did I just see?”

eyeofra1678 02-12-2009 02:02 AM

I forgot abot the Outlaw

rmenke 02-12-2009 04:23 AM

Hay eye:

Ok, go back to that webra 55, get some 10% powermaster or equal, add 2 oz of good castor, change the prop to a apc 10 X 10, add new OS 8 plug. Start, run rich on the ground and turn the thing loose. Bet you will pick up 10-20 mph. Don't know whay that motor wants a lidttle more castor, but I dont try to figure it out. Mine runs like poop on 15% and no castor, different cat at 10 %. Don't think I have ever had a engine unload in the air like this thing, pipe is Jet side mount. If hyou did not break this one in with great care on the bench, you are not going to get the max. performance. Good luck and enjoy.

johnc1go 02-13-2009 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I voted for the Shrike because I think they look the coolest. I also love it's predictable, jet-like flight characteristics. I'd guess I've got about 100 hours or so on Shrike .10 w. OS .15CVA and stock exhaust. I suppose I could be accused of putting form before function, but I just like the looks of the Shrikes over the other planes. I have another Shrike .10 on the workbench right now which I modified for speed.

For power, I'll install a OS .32sx w/stock exhaust on the new plane. Mods include moving the firewall aft by 3/4 of an inch because of CG considerations, using hardwood wing spars and trailing edge to take added g-loads. I used hardwood sticks for the horizontal stab to reduce flex and to keep the tails from oscillating at high speed. Installing the flight pack battery aft of the rear former inside the tail area for ballast, and enclosing the outboard ends of the ailerons within the wingtips to reduce the chances of flutter. I'll be satisfied if I can keep the plane close to three pounds.

I thought I'd throw in a couple of pics just to get some of the winterbound guys excited, I know I'm ready get back outside again and hit hard.

mk1spitfire 02-13-2009 12:54 PM

westonuk, new tigershark with aerofoil, velocity
http://www.westonuk.co.uk/

SpeedBoy 02-13-2009 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: johnc1go

I voted for the Shrike because I think they look the coolest. I also love it's predictable, jet-like flight characteristics. I'd guess I've got about 100 hours or so on Shrike .10 w. OS .15CVA and stock exhaust. I suppose I could be accused of putting form before function, but I just like the looks of the Shrikes over the other planes. I have another Shrike .10 on the workbench right now which I modified for speed.

For power, I'll install a OS .32sx w/stock exhaust on the new plane. Mods include moving the firewall aft by 3/4 of an inch because of CG considerations, using hardwood wing spars and trailing edge to take added g-loads. I used hardwood sticks for the horizontal stab to reduce flex and to keep the tails from oscillating at high speed. Installing the flight pack battery aft of the rear former inside the tail area for ballast, and enclosing the outboard ends of the ailerons within the wingtips to reduce the chances of flutter. I'll be satisfied if I can keep the plane close to three pounds.

I thought I'd throw in a couple of pics just to get some of the winterbound guys excited, I know I'm ready get back outside again and hit hard.
Hey John , I'm in the same boat than you , working on a modified Shrike ( mine is .40 ) I have almost the same mods. than you , I also sheet all the wings , reduced its airfoil 5/8" and the height and width of the fuse was reduced too .Do you have pics of your modified Shrike ? . There is a thread that I opened on "Kit Building" with pics .

And I voted for the Shrike too for the reason you mentioned , colest looks and because she get me encouraged right now ;).

I dont doubt the DD and Force are cool planes but for now I will stick with Shrikes . :D

johnc1go 02-13-2009 03:58 PM

Thanks for the thread Speedboy. I'll have to get some pics up w/the new Shrike. It's nearly done, going to cover as soon as I can decide on colors. I like your idea about thinning the airfoil out, that will no doubt get you more speed. Just watch those landings as you probably already know, when you shape a wing for speed, you sacrifice lift, your stall speed will be higher. I'll go check out your thread.

SpeedBoy 02-14-2009 02:48 AM

Just watch those landings as you probably already know, when you shape a wing for speed, you sacrifice lift, your stall speed will be higher.
Yes thanks for remember it to me and considering the weight I'll add , .61 engine and tuned pipe it will be worse :) , I suppose my landings will be hot . But well we want speed on the Shrike , some sacrifice we need to do . :D

Would be great to see some pics of your Shrike john . ;)

Mike Connor 02-14-2009 12:06 PM

...I like your idea about thinning the airfoil out, that will no doubt get you more speed. Just watch those landings as you probably already know, when you shape a wing for speed, you sacrifice lift, your stall speed will be higher....
But not as much as you would think. Going from a 12% wing to a 6% wing would decrease the lift by about 5%.
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/foil2.html
A sacrifice any speed freak would make. :D

SpeedBoy 02-16-2009 05:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Mike Connor

...I like your idea about thinning the airfoil out, that will no doubt get you more speed. Just watch those landings as you probably already know, when you shape a wing for speed, you sacrifice lift, your stall speed will be higher....
But not as much as you would think. Going from a 12% wing to a 6% wing would decrease the lift by about 5%.
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/foil2.html
A sacrifice any speed freak would make. :D
That's good to know . :D

I'm not sure what % airfoil has the new wing of my Shrike but I'm more relax knowing that .

I hope the sacrifice turns out on a success , if not , I would have learned a lesson .... Do it better next time . [:-]

Mike Connor 02-16-2009 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: SpeedBoy

I'm not sure what % airfoil has the new wing of my Shrike but I'm more relax knowing that .

If you reduced the thickness of the inner rib by 5/8", the airfoil went from about 14% to about 9% and lost less then 5% of the lift. I think it will work great. Speed airfoils are often in the 6% to 12% range.

SpeedBoy 02-16-2009 07:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Mike Connor

If you reduced the thickness of the inner rib by 5/8", the airfoil went from about 14% to about 9% and lost less then 5% of the lift. I think it will work great. Speed airfoils are often in the 6% to 12% range.
WOOHOOOO !!!!!

You know what Mike , you always bring me good news . :D

And yes the reduction was 5/8" on the inner rib , here is how it ended up.

Highest point on the first rib 1 3/16"
Highest point on the last rib 5/8"

The other thing I'll test on that project is a modified prop with a high speed pitch , not much RPM at first but a lot of pitch . [8D]

Thanks Mike .