RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Will it break the sound barrier? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/8499564-will-break-sound-barrier.html)

craigmel 02-20-2009 07:41 PM

Will it break the sound barrier?

Sorry in advance for the rediculous title....I have a like new ys45fs with tuned pipe and though unlikely, would like to break the sound barrier with it or at least get in the 150+ range....Just curious if there are any suggestions for a ridiculously fast airframe for this engine.....and yes, when I say rediculously fast I mean make you tired of flying it after about 3 minutes or soo.....Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

SpeedBoy 02-20-2009 07:57 PM

RE: Will it break the sound barrier?

I dont think it would break the sound barrier not even the tips of the prop :D, but you can put it on a Diamond Dust and have the WOW factor .

You are starved of speed huh . GOOOOOOD !!!!!! you are in the correct way . :D

craigmel 02-20-2009 08:30 PM

so where do I find said "diamond dust"?

evan-RCU 02-20-2009 08:38 PM

Curious, are you flying any speed planes now?

craigmel 02-20-2009 10:05 PM

Evan-rcu,
yes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etPkV...e=channel_page I begin flying at the 7min. 40sec. mark....may not qualify as a speed plane to some, however it is fast to me and even faster when you fly as low as I do!!!! I have also flon my buddies turbine powered boomerang xl (clocked at close to 190mph) I am not stuck to using the ys engine I mentioned.....I wouldn't even mind a pylon style plane equipped with a massive watt producing electric motor.....would love to build one also as I love building however, if arf is the best way to go I will go that way also....I am just basically trying to load up my hanger with speed planes and lots of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vicman 02-20-2009 10:11 PM

Try to find a Magnum or go with one of the quickies out there. It aint a turbine but plenty fast.;)

freakingfast 02-21-2009 09:47 AM

A Zoomer: http://www.matneymodels.com/q500.html

Run that YS 45 on 30% with a APC 9X10 sport prop and look out!

Tune the pipe static with a 9X9 and you should see a bit over 17K, than swap out to the 9X10. The Zoomer is about the only plane that the 45 & 9X10 will have a chance to unload.
You should see about 180+ level flight. 3 minutes would be about it as far as fuel, but you will be smoked by then.:D

HighPlains 02-21-2009 11:03 AM

With the Zoomer, YS and pipe, you might be able to hit 150. I've seen one in a Prather Toni (F1 design), and it was in that range. It makes for a nice sport speed model, will still be the fastest model at your local field, and land slowly.

freakingfast 02-21-2009 12:16 PM

Diamond Dust and a YS 45 with a 9X9 on 30% will hit 155 easy, the Zoomer is a world cleaner, so if it's done right (prop, fuel, header length) 180 is not impossible. I've seen one unload to 19000 with a 9X10 and it was right up there in speed and visually, it’s obviously faster than my 170MPH DF powered Dust. The Dust has a lot of drag compared to a Zoomer, quickie 40 or F3D, just kill the engine and see how far and fast they go VS the Dust slows down quickly. The Diamond Dust is still my favorite plane for wow factor.

still4given 02-21-2009 12:34 PM

How do you guys keep plugs in your YS 45s on 30%? I tried 30% in my warbirds and it was almost a plug per run.

Thanks, Terry

freakingfast 02-21-2009 01:10 PM

Terry, try the K&B "HP" and the "HD": http://www.mecoa.com/acc/glowplug/glowplug.htm

OS # 8 plugs that I've got in the last two years have not been too good, had several that were DOA!
Some of the YS 45 engines have higher compession than others, so you may need to add one or two head shims.

Try different props for a different load and rpm range. Are you running a 10X6?. These engine run best at 16500 to 17500 on the ground (30%) on normal fast planes and the power drops off quickly over 19500 in the air unloaded, so theres no reason to turn higher.
Make sure your tank is isolated and wrapped in foam rubber, the extra "pop" and rpm may make foaming more evident.

craigmel 02-21-2009 08:06 PM

Thanks guys for all your input....The Zoomer is the way that I think I will go! This plane looks pretty hot! On a side note, sounds like some of you have alot of experience with the ys45....does anyone know approximate header lengths with the 9x10 or 9x9 prop mentioned above on 30%....pretty new to tuned pipe engines and just need a good starting point....Thanks again, all you guys are great!
Craig

HighPlains 02-21-2009 08:27 PM

5 1/2" from plug to end of header pipe with Mac's 45 pipe will get you in the ballpark.

nesikachad 02-22-2009 02:30 PM

Go with a bladder tank and eliminate foaming all together.

Jett makes an affordable setup that works AWESOME. I have one in my Jett60 powered sundowner.

freakingfast 02-22-2009 03:35 PM

YS 45 FR, FS tune length with a Macs MARINE muffled pipe (#1349 or 1345) tuned length 11 5/8" measured from glow plug to large diameter apex on pipe. Note, start about 1/2" longer than this and tune YOUR OWN system, engine port timing and pipes are not all the same. I you use another pipe model/brand or pipe start longer!
This measurement is the "stretched/strait" length or true distance from glow plug to apex (the high point on the pipe). It will appear shorter if you have a riser. doglegged, fuse top, or side exhaust header. I use a mini tubing cutter and debur the I.D., make sure the chips don't get in the engine. I put a paper ball in the header and pull it out when done to keep the chips out.

Note the true header (length for reference) on my rear exhaust engine is about 4 1/4" from plug to cut.