RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Tsunami from Rcatsystems (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/856980-tsunami-rcatsystems.html)

AeroD79 06-12-2003 06:02 PM

Tsunami from Rcatsystems

http://www.rcatsystems.com/store/vie...php?product=16

I think $250 for a short kit is too much for a small 60size.

sure it looks hot.

The wood arf from EZ and World Models can beat this short kit easily on price.

What you guys think, anyone has seen this fly?

hattend 06-12-2003 06:08 PM

Tsunami from Rcatsystems

There's an EZ or WM Tsunami? Do you have a link?

That short kit is apparently their #1 interest item and if nobody else is kitting one I guess you have to buy theirs unless you want to scratch one out.

I would pay $250 for that short kit just because it's unique.

Don

AeroD79 06-12-2003 06:11 PM

Tsunami from Rcatsystems

I mean Tsunami's cousin...the Mustangs (Dago RED) for EZ and Voodoo. You maybe right about this one. And since there's a high demand, you will need to have a high price. I ve been thinking abou this when I first saw it in their site. All I gotta say is that its gonna cost alot to complete this hot tsunami

T34RACING 06-12-2003 11:37 PM

Tsunami from Rcatsystems

I have to say that I have seen the kit and a couple of them fly. The basic construction and composite technology is great but you need to know how to build composite aircraft. The only thing is that if you break them, most times you throw them away and start over. That refers to all composite aircraft.

The overall flight performance of the kit is decent. The first one I saw was doing about 150 mph out of a dive and the wing left the fuselage. The wingbolts unscrewed and a big mess to follow. The others seen have raced on the course with Webra 120's and I wasn't impressed with the overall speed. The aircraft is just to large for some classes. The wing area that is needed to meet some class specifications requires it to have a larger fuse. More fuselage raises the weight and drag of the airplane.

I do have to say though the aircraft is very scale looking and is built solid. Mike did his homework.

daven 06-13-2003 02:54 AM

Michaels Tsunami

I guess I will find out, I have one on order.

Probably won't be built until this winter, but this isn't a plane you see everyday.

I'm still having a tough time deciding on the engine. I was thinking an O.S. 1.08, but I'm open to suggestions. With the 1.08 and this combo, I'd be happy in the 130-140 mph range.

Don't plan on racing it, just sport flying.

Mluvara 06-15-2003 04:01 AM

Tsunami from Rcatsystems

Originally posted by T34RACING
I have to say that I have seen the kit and a couple of them fly. The basic construction and composite technology is great but you need to know how to build composite aircraft. The only thing is that if you break them, most times you throw them away and start over. That refers to all composite aircraft.

FYI to all: The kit is not all-composite. It is a short kit. Fuselage is fiberglass with carbon-fiber reinforcement, and stab/wings are foam. It is very hard to compete with overseas manufacturers on cost. The plane is hand-crafted in the US.

Michael

T34RACING 06-15-2003 04:35 AM

Tsunami from Rcatsystems

Sorry Mike for the mistake. The Tsunami's that you fly have both a composite wing and tail . I am only commenting on the ones I have seen

I did not know that you were only selling foam in lieu of the composite wing & tail.

Flyboy Dave 06-15-2003 03:35 PM

Dang it....

1 Attachment(s)
....I just fell in Love....

....( the chick ain't bad either).... :p ....but I have my
only YS 1.20 set aside for DP Ultimate.... :stupid:

Mluvara....bare foam....or sheeted....???

daven 06-15-2003 08:35 PM

C.G.

After looking at that picture again, I notice a very long nose, with a relatively short fuze behind the wing.

Considering most people would want to stuff a pretty large engine in this, how is it coming out balance wise?

Just curious.

LuvaraAir 06-15-2003 08:43 PM

Tsunami from Rcatsystems

Flyboy: The wings are balsa sheeted over foam.

Dave N: With a decently large motor in the front, and the servos in the correct location, balance is no problem. I made the mistake with of having the servo's in the tail of mine, and I needed a bunch of weight up front. However; the large difference is that I had a composite stab (1st one out of the mold=heavier than it shoulda been).

Good luck when you get yours, I can't wait to see more flying.

Chris

Mluvara 06-15-2003 09:09 PM

Re: Dang it....

Originally posted by Flyboy Dave
....I just fell in Love....

....( the chick ain't bad either).... :p ....but I have my
only YS 1.20 set aside for DP Ultimate.... :stupid:

Mluvara....bare foam....or sheeted....???

The kit comes with foam wings. You have to supply the wood and sheet them.

I think the weight has come down on these with the latter construction methods being implemented for the production kits. With a YS1.10 (lighter than the 1.20), a 7lb airplane should be no problem. 6 might even be reasonable.

Michael

daven 06-16-2003 03:19 AM

Tsunami from Rcatsystems

Is the YS what you would recommend?

I'm kinda a two stroke guy, but wanna give this thing the best chance of surviving.

Flyboy Dave 06-16-2003 09:07 PM

Yeah Buddy....

....It cries for a big supercharged YS....probably go 125,
even as fat as it is.... ;) no, not all that fast....but up
near 150....and all kinds of bad things start to happen. :eek:

Mluvara 06-16-2003 10:51 PM

Tsunami from Rcatsystems

I think that a .91 four stroke would be perfect for sport flying, or even a hot .61 or .91 two stroke. With a very aerodynamically clean airframe and wing, the airplane is pretty slick. The wing is of a laminar flow design and set up for all out speed. Put a good 1.20 (2 or 4 stroke) in the nose and the aircraft should go 150mph plus. Some estimate that one of my prototypes with a webra 1.20 two stroke was close to 180mph in a dive. I'm hoping to get some recorded data soon with a telemetry system to see what the IAS is on a ys 1.20 powered version.

In all honesty, the airplane is not as big as some play it out to be. The firewall measures approximately 4.5" in width and 6.5" in height.

Michael

JeffH 06-17-2003 11:55 AM

OS-77 DF?

How about an OS 77 DF with full pipe? How do you think that would work on this critter?

Mluvara 06-17-2003 02:07 PM

Re: OS-77 DF?

Originally posted by JeffH
How about an OS 77 DF with full pipe? How do you think that would work on this critter?
That would probably work fine. The only thing to make sure is that you have a large enough prop as the spinner is 3.75" in diameter. The ducted fan motors like to turn up. The only other question would be how to orientate the pipe - either down the side of the fuse, or possibly inside. I never held one of the engines up to it, so really wouldn't know.

In reality, this would fly on a standard .61 two stroke, probably around 90-100mph, so anything more would equal speed....

Michael