RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   APC vs MA Props (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/8781712-apc-vs-ma-props.html)

jerrysu29 10-19-2009 11:38 AM

RE: APC vs MA Props

Sounds like what I call a slide rule flyer!!!! LOL!!!! I find it much easier to just get the props I think will work and head to the Field, a lot easier and less taxing on the old noggin I tell a lot of the guys ya know it's not Rocket science
jerrysu29 Call Sign Wild Man

jerrysu29 10-19-2009 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Jezmo

I know it's an old thread but I wanted to add an observation made at a Club 40 Pylon event I participated in last year. One particular gent. spent the entire day changing props and then test flying. He used APC and MAS props of varying sizes and eventually won the main race at the end with a MAS S2 prop. I had tried some of the MAS props and didn't find a combo that worked on my plane but the point of my story is he did find one that worked on his plane through trial and error and proceeded to kick some butt in the end. It's all about what works best for your particular setup and sometimes the only way to find that out is trial and error also known in the racing world as R&D.
Jezmo Our club 40 racing is more on the spec racing scale, stock plane, stock TT Pro 40,stock muffler, 15%Power Master fuel, and we all use the same props given to everybody the day we race. This stops all of the fighting and bickering.
jerrysu29 Call Sign Wild Man

Jezmo 10-30-2009 05:43 PM

Hi Jerry,
Yep, some clubs do that around here but it's not really fair because out of a package of 10 supposedly identical props, usually (yes usually because there are surely exceptions) no two turn the exact same rpm. My radar gun also bears this out as the props exhibit 1 to 2 mph differences in their top speed even though they are marked with the same size and pitch and come from the same package. Also, most clubs do not tear down engines after every race nor do they weigh the planes. One half of an inch cut off the tips of the wing, the tip of the vertical, and the horizontal/elevator with one quarter inch cut so as to narrow the fuselage in height as well as width will increase speed enough to matter in ten laps. It is impossible to see with the naked eye. Without VERY strict tech inspections, after the races are complete, someone will eventually find a way to "bend" the rules. They won't outright cheat, just interpret the rules in a more liberal way. Think NASCAR. Ever see a "Stock" TT 40Pro turn over 18,000 with the stock muffler and supposedly everything inside "stock". It was running a 10" prop too. Something tells me "if" that engine had been torn down it wouldn't have passed the inspection. NO completely stock TT 40 is going to turn a 10 inch prop 18,000; not even close.

Referencing your post 26 - In that one particular race, yes the "Slide Rule" flyer kicked some butt.