RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Official speed record for propeller RC planes? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/8804578-official-speed-record-propeller-rc-planes.html)

larrysogla 05-27-2009 09:46 PM

Official speed record for propeller RC planes?

I seem to not come across the official speed record for propeller driven RC planes.,,,,,,,,anybody has the certified speed record? On a second note......how fast are these pylon racers going? ...........If you could release a prop driven racer ala X-1 just like those stubby winged record holders dropped from a B-29 or a B-52 mothership so that the wings will be thin and stubby and small(no need for take-off lift as it is dropped from a mothership just like the Mac Hodges giant scale B-29 with the small stubby winged airplane slung under the wing) then it should be possible to really go super fast..............and don't turn like a pylon racer but rather go up in a climb and do a U-turn at the apex of the climb and then dive down to the deck for the horizontal speed run.........................maybeeeeeee it will exceed 250 mph in level flight as it zooms on the deck???
larry

jooNorway 05-28-2009 12:24 AM

RE: Official speed record for propeller RC planes?

RC piston engine, F3 Open: 343,92 km/h.
RC, Electric, Open, F5: 361 km/h.
Official FAI records.

MJD 05-28-2009 01:20 AM

ORIGINAL: larrysogla

I seem to not come across the official speed record for propeller driven RC planes.,,,,,,,,anybody has the certified speed record? On a second note......how fast are these pylon racers going? ...........If you could release a prop driven racer ala X-1 just like those stubby winged record holders dropped from a B-29 or a B-52 mothership so that the wings will be thin and stubby and small(no need for take-off lift as it is dropped from a mothership just like the Mac Hodges giant scale B-29 with the small stubby winged airplane slung under the wing) then it should be possible to really go super fast..............and don't turn like a pylon racer but rather go up in a climb and do a U-turn at the apex of the climb and then dive down to the deck for the horizontal speed run.........................maybeeeeeee it will exceed 250 mph in level flight as it zooms on the deck???
larry

That's all great for bench racing, but instantaneous achievements with help from motherships and that sort of thing are not recognized as meaningful records among the FAI or national record fratenities. The rules for these events make requirements on the aircraft that it be able to do these things on its own. RC speed aircraft are already approaching 300 mph at the end of terminal dives, and average speeds are kissing 240mph these days for IC powered models. This is way tougher than it might seem.

Official international records are achieved under the FAI. National associations such as the AMA, MAAC etc. have their own. You can find all of this info on their websites. Also here, search under Speedcup.

MJD

larrysogla 05-28-2009 01:36 AM

JooNorway and MJD,
Thanks.
larry

MJD 05-28-2009 06:39 AM

JooNorway and MJD,
Thanks.
larry

If my message read a bit "short" there was no intention to - it was late and I was sleepy. The rules around the recognized speed categories present a number of challenges, but they also provide a level playing field. With "model" engines ranging up into 150cc displacement and more, absolute records don't mean a whole lot other than bragging rights. With a displacement limit if 10cc in FAI RC speed categories for example, physics make it a serious challenge to raise the bar. Currently, folks messing with that event are seeking what seems to be an elusive 250mph barrier (average straightaway speed). And at these speeds, the models are already a real challenge to fly within the confines of the visible arena.

MJD

z06kal 05-28-2009 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: MJD

That's all great for bench racing, but instantaneous achievements with help from motherships and that sort of thing are not recognized as meaningful records among the FAI or national record fratenities. The rules for these events make requirements on the aircraft that it be able to do these things on its own. RC speed aircraft are already approaching 300 mph at the end of terminal dives, and average speeds are kissing 240mph these days for IC powered models. This is way tougher than it might seem.

MJD
The current dynamic soaring record is 392mph. This is not terminal speed in a dive but rather energy extraction in an eleptical orbit between two diferent masses of air. From what I understand there are some small turbine delta's that are also in the 400+ range. However, as far as prop powered models, I believe 240's is as high as I have ever heard of.

HighPlains 05-28-2009 11:58 AM

FAI record is the only one that counts.  Still at 213.7 mph for prop 10 cc power.

larrysogla 05-28-2009 07:45 PM

Like I have mentioned earlier, if it is a speed racer dropped from a mothership and then flown horizontally for the speed runs in a continuos turn around the visible area of the pilot, then the need for take-off lift is eliminated and the wings could just be thin, stubby, little wings...............sort of like a flying dart and for the high speed turns to be negotiated then the body has to be designed to be a lifting body of some sort so that the very heavy centrifugal force around the high speed turn could be negotiated.  Just daydreaming and musing from a non-engineer, non-aerodynamicist, non-speed freak modeler. Just a daydreamer...............that's who I am. Thanks.
larry