RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Screamin' Demon news and pics (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/8819180-screamin-demon-news-pics.html)

MJD 06-02-2009 08:47 AM

Screamin' Demon news and pics

1 Attachment(s)
Hi folks,

June 1 is here - and I nearly made it..! But life is good - I will be sending kits to my US shipper sometime this week. When the first boxes are packed and "signed off", then I will activate the order system on the website.

In the meantime, I've been waiting two days now for the weather to cooperate for the maiden flight of my own example.. but today is looking up! First I have to go pick up Screamin' Demon kit parts, then later this aft is play time but only after I get my chores done.. [&o]

I've shown this in various pics with either a Jett .50 or the West .50 in the nose. I intend to try out both, they are drop in replacements. I had no trouble locating the CG with this piped engine, in fact it is a bit the other way if anything. With the SE Jett and tuned muffler, the CG will move ahead a bit. Both engines will rip on it of course, but I had to decide which one I would rather bury if the first flight doesn't go as planned.. :)

MikeD aka MJD
MikesRC

p.s. I'll add the cowl later..

soarrich 06-02-2009 09:03 AM

RE: Screamin' Demon news and pics

1 Attachment(s)
New launch technique?

MJD 06-02-2009 12:01 PM

ORIGINAL: soarrich

New launch technique?
I dunno - let's see how cocky I get after 15 flights or so.. :D.

I saw video of a guy doing that with an electric Magnum. Went a bit haywire - he saved it, but just by the hair of his chinny-chin-chin.

Maybe a short launch rail.. and RATO..

MJD

RocketRob 06-02-2009 01:02 PM

Model looks great Mike!
Nice execution.

Mike Connor 06-02-2009 01:28 PM

ORIGINAL: soarrich

New launch technique?
That may actually work pretty good if you had rods front and back at the wing tips to guide it out. The winglets would keep it straight. I would probably angle it about 60* though.

MJD 06-02-2009 01:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Mike Connor
That may actually work pretty good if you had rods front and back at the wing tips to guide it out. The winglets would keep it straight. I would probably angle it about 60* though.
For sure I would tip the nose forward a bit. Maybe I'll try it off the edge of a hill first..[:-]

I just noticed a linkage dum-dum in the photos, which were taken before I finished fiddling with everything.

Off to the laser cutter's shop! I just got the good phone call.. :D

Happy days are here again.. dum de dum..

MJD
MikesRC

mk1spitfire 06-02-2009 04:45 PM

What selection of props will you use on the west?

You might like to know that weston have improved the needle which now has two o rings on it.

Keep an eye on the the little rachet clip point that click locks to main needle, vibration and detuning in flight can occur. A mini tye wrap can help or fuel tube.

MJD 06-02-2009 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: mk1spitfire

What selection of props will you use on the west?

You might like to know that weston have improved the needle which now has two o rings on it.

Keep an eye on the the little rachet clip point that click locks to main needle, vibration and detuning in flight can occur. A mini tye wrap can help or fuel tube.
Yeah, I check the needle clicky-thing regularly, and haven't had any needling problems yet. It's a really fine running engine and easy to handle. My normal fuel is 15% nitro, 18% syn/cas, and it seems to be content with its diet.

For flight #1 I'll use a 9-6 or 9-7 to keep it down to 120 or so [:-], but normally I use clipped APC pylon props in the 8.0"-8.3" range with pitch from 8.50 - 9.25. Might run a 8-9 sport prop but there's concern with those of course though I ain't chucked a blade yet like that means anything I know. Just want to check out the disc area issue.

MJD