RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Screamin' Demon takes to the air! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/8821098-screamin-demon-takes-air.html)

MJD 06-02-2009 09:24 PM

Screamin' Demon takes to the air!

Well, finally the weather held off and I ran out of excuses to not fly.

The video is not too bad until later, but this just a point and shoot camera and a hastily recruited field owner, so gimme a break!

Holy schlamoley does this thing fly great! Two clicks of up, two of left and off she went. The launches were a non-event. Point it up and give a push - you can see the lazy little roll to the left then it's off. This launches far, far more easily than a Magnum, flies faster, and relatively speaking floats in for landing. No comparison. I love it!

So this is good news.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwczbiYatJg]First flight[/link]

Mike D
MikesRC

combatpigg 06-03-2009 12:22 AM

RE: Screamin' Demon takes to the air!

Looks fantastic! I had to laugh at how quickly it turns into a speck. How much throw did you end up using, including landing?

Mike Connor 06-03-2009 12:31 AM

Congratulations on the maiden. Glad it went well. We need to work with the camera man a little though. :)

MJD 06-03-2009 12:36 AM

The CG is likely a bit rearward by the time the tank is dry, and the glide was great and flaring was easy.. in fact, I got lucky and slid it to a stop about 25 feet in front of me to the amazement of my cohorts. High rates were over sensitive even on the glide, but flyable with the expo and holy roll rate! These are a solid 3/8" each way, mid rate is a hair over 1/4", and low rates are a bit over 3/16". I'll dial them in some more and post the numbers. Mike Connor recommends 3/8" but cautions it will be sensitive at speed. It was, but I flew around a bit on high and the roll rate was silly. Didn;t rip the elevons off.

It flies very smoothly, and seems vice-free. I just realized I was running a full 8.8 x 8.5, I guess I looked at the clipped one but grabbed this one from the pile I brought along. It was acting like the pipe was a hair short IIRC.

Man I'm sleepy. Gotta crash.. it's been a busy but productive day and the SD flies like snot so it's all good.

Cheers,

Mike D

Mike Connor 06-03-2009 12:47 AM

ORIGINAL: MJD

Mike Connor recommends 3/8" but cautions it will be sensitive at speed.
Give it a couple of flights and you will feel comfortable with 3/8" when expo is used. When I first started flying a Dust my radio didn't have dual rates or expo.

Wiggy 06-03-2009 06:06 AM

Are you sure it was actually flying?It was so high and the camera man so inept that Iwouldn't be willing to bet that it flewhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif Nothing beats a delta for the speed envelope. When they are slowed down, they fly like a trainer.

I can't believe only 3/8" each way on the elevons. I set my Dust up with all the aileron Ican get and about 50% elevator with 80% expo. When Igive full aileron and elevator, the elevon actually touches the fin. My guess is the elevons must be larger than a dust.

Iam checking your web site every morning to see if the order button is active. Still waiting...

Wiggy

MJD 06-03-2009 07:20 AM

I managed to slow it down and putt around on the second flight a bit, which worked out fine although the engine sounded very impatient while I wobbled around a few basic manouvers. There are snippets in the video showing some specked out vertical rolling climbs. On the second launch I flew level for a couple of hundred feet then pointed it straight up with elevons hard over on full rate - it simply drilled its way vertically until I let go.

The order button will be activated as soon as I have finished kits in the box, that will happen any time in the next day or so. I refuse to take money until the goods are ready to go! They're coming! :D I've been busy and have still to email my list of pre-inquiries, but I'll do that this morning.

Originally I was going to test fly and bomb around a bit on a .46FX, but after a while I just said screw it and flew like this, and it was a non-event. But I will spend some time in the low speed envelope when I bolt in an engine that doesn't tap its feet and drum its fingers impatiently whenever you try to do so.

Again, my CG is to the rear of the range and when the fuel is gone I have plenty of elevator on landing from what I can tell.

Mike D
MikesRC

bob27s 06-03-2009 09:03 AM

Nice job :)

good smooth aircraft

Looks like ya enjoyed flying it!

just follow the moving pixel!

Bob

MJD 06-03-2009 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: bob27s

Nice job :)

good smooth aircraft

Bob
Thanks Bob - and I hope you saw the note about the SJ50 going in there.. that's next. The pipe and all that looks snotty though, even if it is a drag brake and right elevon trim all in one. Now I want the same power with mid range throttling to some degree.

Soon as I sell about 147 kits it's time for the 60LX :D. And glass cowl..

Mike D

smoknrv4 06-03-2009 10:07 AM

What about us Canadian buyers?:D

MJD 06-03-2009 10:21 AM

ORIGINAL: smoknrv4

What about us Canadian buyers?:D
You get the good ones. All the seconds go to the US.

Actually, :), at this point I have it marked "email for shipping" as I don't have a calculator set up yet. But other than that you just order them through the website. Or drive to Brussels on the Saturday before Father's Day and I'll have one there - there is a small fly-in and we're taking a Tiger Moth down to hang out. I'll be dropping some RC stuff there by car to fool around and show the light plane geeks.

MJD

Rudeboy 06-03-2009 10:27 AM

The video is pretty funny IMO... tell "Henry" to use the zoom, and to aim for the plane... :p
Henry's accent is hilarious... sounds like "Borat"... :D

The West sounds pretty healthy! A full 8.8x8.5, that's quite a bit of prop! It seems to turn up great.

mk1spitfire 06-03-2009 11:19 AM

At last....Congratulations...http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

NOW lets see you really sream the deamon...Looking foward to more vid.!!

smoknrv4 06-03-2009 11:28 AM

You get the good ones. All the seconds go to the US.

Actually, :), at this point I have it marked "email for shipping" as I don't have a calculator set up yet. But other than that you just order them through the website. Or drive to Brussels on the Saturday before Father's Day and I'll have one there - there is a small fly-in and we're taking a Tiger Moth down to hang out. I'll be dropping some RC stuff there by car to fool around and show the light plane geeks.

MJD
[/quote]

Heh, Heh of course I wouldn't expect any thing else, I'm printing off a map to Brussels as I type, I may be there at the Nerd gatheringhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/49_49.gif, just depend on what the Master Corporal (wife) has in mind for that day.

BTW I'm in no hurry for one of these kits I know your busy right off the hop, I'm still having fun with my scratch built onehttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif.

MJD 06-03-2009 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: smoknrv4

BTW I'm in no hurry for one of these kits I know your busy right off the hop, I'm still having fun with my scratch built one.
I may be busy, but one of the best forms of therapy I know is for people to order the kits when I'm done.. [8D]. My supervisor asks continually if money also comes in rather than just going out, but I haven't shown her any evidence of that yet.

It would be cool if you could drop by Brussels. It;s low key but very plkeasant and social with burgers/dogs and refreshments going all day and lots of jawing in the shade. I talked to them about injecting some RC tomfoolery for entertainment and the idea met with nods and smiles. I think the Russell air field (Niagara) show is on this weekend, they should have the ME-109 going. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cREu-8j1efo Our Moth is going down but I'm not in it this time, the guy who launched the SD in my video is flying down though.

Mike D.

MJD 06-03-2009 12:06 PM

Henrij is Latvian and emigrated here maybe 8-9 years ago. Most importantly, he happens to own a 500x1000 foot flat field in nearby Hockley Valley and really digs us flying there. Most fast or noisy aircraft are "bee-YOO-tee-full!" and we always get a kick out of that. He did a better job than most people I've ever recruited to film with a small camera. A neighbor's daughter does professional photog and video, and I'll ask her to help me get some good vid soon as we get the chance. Some onboard wouldn't hurt for giggles too.

Mike D.

MJD 06-03-2009 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: bob27s
just follow the moving pixel !
Bob
That's about what it's like live, after a 4-5 second vertical climb. I'm really starting to like these contrasting neon panel color schemes.. does being 47 have anything to do with that I wonder? First, they are easy which is good because I hate covering. Second, I can see them which is good because I don't like building more than I have to - and I'm not even sure how much I like that. Not true though, when I am not rushed I like building. Just when is that though? :)

Mike D.

combatpigg 06-03-2009 06:44 PM

MJD, when you are building to stay within the MACA Top 20, then you are being "rushed". 6 at a time to make it through a weekend. :D
It's wonderful you have a neighbor with enough open land to fly from! It also sounds like he is your full scale flying partner?
I've got a backlog of [3] 1/2A projects and [1] .40 sized project, then I'll be able to take on a SD!
Just got grass seed and straw laid down on a 20,000 sq ft hillside, with another 20,000 left to do before my modeling career can resume.....[:o]

MJD 06-03-2009 07:15 PM

The guy launching the airplane is Dan, my Pietenpol co-owner, pilot and RC pilot buddy. That's him laughing at me when I told him it was easy to fly, this is when the camera was pointing at the grass as the engine quit and I set up for landing and frikkin greased it (:eek:). All the subsequent filmed landings will be horrible, I know it. He doesn't have the thick accent, but he puts oregano in everything.

Henrij lives just down the road from him, and owns the field. He sells honey and mows his field so we can fly airplanes. Good gig.

6 airplanes a weekend? Oh yeah, I don't think combat is in my future.

Get seeding there CP, 'tis the toy season. I have that Profi to mess with too..

MJD

smoknrv4 06-03-2009 07:52 PM

What s the date of  the Brussels fly in, I take it its a FULL scale fly in, right?

MJD 06-03-2009 08:31 PM

Yes it is full scale - it is on the Saturday before Father's Day, the 20th. It's a small affair, but someone was hopping rides in a Pietenpol last year, one of the regulars there has a Swift foot launch glider - 26:1 L/D flying wing - that gets towed up by an ultralight rigged with a 115hp Rotax. That was cool. We're likely flying down Friday and crashing overnight.

http://www.copa45.com/events.htm

June 20th, Brussels, ON: The 20th annual Pietenpol Picnic. The last one at this idyllic setting. For lovers of Pietenpols, antique, classic and homebuilt aircraft. Located on the airstrip of Jim Armstrong on the north-east corner of Brussels. 10.00 a.m. to dusk. There will be a Fireman's Breakfast on Sunday morning. For more information please contact Brian Kenney at 905-336-5190 or Jim Armstrong at 519 887-6753. Rain date June 21st.

smoknrv4 06-03-2009 09:08 PM

Aw crap, thats the weekend were camping at pt. Burwell provincial park, my wife just informed me. I'll have a couple of beers for ya though.

vicman 06-03-2009 09:54 PM

CP, snap a pic of the new lawn just so we know you are telling the truth and not working on a secret project.

Look into flights to CLT for June 27 and we can have a full on Revver Reunion. Heck I bet I could Lekky LeFlyer to come over if 1/2a royalty were to come into town. He would no doubt bring a few combat planes just for you.;)

jdkxtreme 06-03-2009 10:11 PM

I just put my deamon on here for sale. I just never fly it

BiggerDanno 06-04-2009 09:36 AM

Where's the link to buy this plane?