RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Spitfire and tuned pipe (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/8885221-spitfire-tuned-pipe.html)

mk1spitfire 06-27-2009 06:06 AM

Spitfire and tuned pipe

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, this should upset the politcaly engine sound warbird correct by the insertion of an ax55 and tuned pipe.!

This model has so far been flown off the slope with electric engine. Then moved onto saito82 flat field, now two stroke tuned power!

smoknrv4 06-27-2009 07:41 AM

RE: Spitfire and tuned pipe

Looks kind of cool, I'll bet she scoots along nicely.

MJD 06-27-2009 09:09 AM

ORIGINAL: mk1spitfire

Ok, this should upset the politcaly engine sound warbird correct by the insertion of an ax55 and tuned pipe.!

This model has so far been flown off the slope with electric engine. Then moved onto saito82 flat field, now two stroke tuned power!
If anyone *****es, paint the pipe in RAF camo and be done with it. Tell 'em the Brits were working on 2 stroke V-12's towards the end of the war but they couldn't figure out how to bury 12 pipes.

MJD

dhal22 06-27-2009 12:53 PM

exactly. the large single cylinder gas engines most warbird builders use aren't exactly scale. looks, sound, etc, you name it, most warbirds completely lack scale when it comes to the engine. i say have fun.

mk1spitfire 06-27-2009 02:59 PM

Ha, great supportive comments from my fellow speed junkies.

guess i could rotate the engine 90'degrees and have the cigar underneath.

The draggy wing slows her down compared to a nice clean delta for example

holy moley 06-27-2009 11:35 PM

Just wondering if you have trouble with the engine inverted? How fast does your Spit fly? I have the same plane with an Aviastar 53 engine but have not test flown it yet. I think they should fly pretty fast with the retracts.

jeffk464 06-27-2009 11:47 PM

ORIGINAL: holy moley

Just wondering if you have trouble with the engine inverted? How fast does your Spit fly? I have the same plane with an Aviastar 53 engine but have not test flown it yet. I think they should fly pretty fast with the retracts.
I have been running the 55AX upside down in a pattern plane with no trouble at all. Best engine on the market in my opinion.

mk1spitfire 06-28-2009 04:49 AM

I also have another 55ax in a pattern plane and it too works well.
Starting though can be overcome by not flooding engine as the liitle number8 doesn't respond well to being drowned together with empyting exhaust from fuel when tank filled.

bob27s 06-29-2009 02:07 PM

Nice :)