RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Magnum is here!! Wing gap? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/889521-magnum-here-wing-gap.html)

Mattyb 06-23-2003 06:42 AM

Magnum is here!! Wing gap?

Well it finally arrived today and wow it just looks fatst.
what methods are people using to seal the gap in the wing to fuse. ive got about a 5 mil gap.

Should have it flying by this weekend,

Thanks

Mattyb

SJN 06-23-2003 10:34 AM

I used some 5mm foam tape. But I didn`t notice any increase or decrease in performance.....just looks better.

SJ.

LOONY BOY 06-23-2003 12:08 PM

Mattyb
Go to this thread and check out these tips you can get micro balloons from your LHS, works great.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...20&forumid=111

Also did you get spare glow plugs, if so what heat range are they I was given pp no4 and engine says pp no7. I assume that you purchased from RC on a budget, good service.

keep us posted
LOONY BOYY

Mattyb 06-24-2003 04:09 AM

hey loony boy

I did get 2 spares, but am at worjk and cant recall what heat range they are. Boy when i opened the box i thought they had left half the kit out. Very easy and simple. except for the wing mounting bolts. I really dont like the thin balssa holding the whole wing on so reinforced that with ply and just used one nylon bolt. cant seem to get any 8x8 props either. I have a 9x7 and an 7x8 coming so we will see how i go.

Mattyb

Mattyb 06-24-2003 08:05 AM

ok i just ran the engine and WOW this thiing sure gets after it.
One big problem though. the exhaust comes away from the silicone tube. scared the crap out of me when it happened. How do you hold the pipe to the header?
I have connected the hold down tie but still comes off. any secrets??

Thanks

ps the spare plugs are pp4.

Mattyb 06-24-2003 08:12 AM

ok im an idiot. I just figured what the 2 spare ties were for.

Mattyb 06-24-2003 08:32 AM

ok next question.

the anhedral in the tail seems to be a lot and doesnt look like it in the pics i have seen. they say to use a gluing jig "d26d"
and i only have d26a+b.

help

LOONY BOY 06-24-2003 10:53 AM

Cool !!
I will start my motor on the weekend hope all goes well.

As for props I order direct from APC because the LHS cannot get all the props listed on the APC site.

http://www.apcprop.com/

The anhedral looks right to me, must be the angle of some pic's putting you off.
As for using jig D26D, must be a typo because the two jigs are both the same angle and you need to use the two in conjunction also there is no other reason to use the jigs.

Are you going to use the supplied elevator pushrods?

LOONY BOY

Mattyb 06-25-2003 12:27 AM

well i have some 4-40 rods spare but might try there setup.
dont know how i would connect it otherwise. you will be impressed with the motor. dont know how these guys launch it by themselves with it going flat out, i can barely hang onto it.
got digital servos coming today so shoul;d be finished tonight and ready to fly on the weekend.

Cant wait

RampRat 06-25-2003 11:04 AM

The anhederal on the tail is quite extreme, but it's probably right.

Here's a picture of mine:
http://cpanel2.rtpsearch.net/~mikrof...y/Magnum_2.jpg

Mattyb 06-25-2003 11:21 PM

yep thats the same, thanks. pic has cleared it up

Rudeboy 06-26-2003 12:09 AM

About the pipe coming loose... mine did the same thing when I first ran the engine.

Start up the engine, run it for 20 secs so everything is nice and hot... now stop the engine, take a pair of pliers, and retighten the straps... You will be surprised by how much they stretch when hot... the silicone coupler also gets softer when hot... You will probably be able to tighten them another 1/4" (depending on how much you tightened them the first time). You can yank 'em pretty hard... those straps are tuff...
It won't come off after this.

I see you have a 9" prop on your engine right now... get a 8x8 (where ever you can)... this engine needs to rev... the speed increase from a 9x7 to a 8x8 will be considerable...

As for the wing gap: I glued a small strip of balsa to each wing saddle (inside of fuse of course... just to get some glue area), put some cellofane (or whatever you call this stuff in english... the stuff the florist uses to wrap flowers in) and used silicone to fill the gap... now she's "gapless" :D

Mattyb 06-26-2003 12:13 AM

i have contacted most of the hobby shops i know and none have them. looked at getting from APC direct but will cost $22 just for shipping and thats to much. I will keep searching though. Thanks for your valuable comments, will try it tonight

Rudeboy 06-26-2003 12:23 AM

Originally posted by Mattyb
i have contacted most of the hobby shops i know and none have them. looked at getting from APC direct but will cost $22 just for shipping and thats to much. I will keep searching though. Thanks for your valuable comments, will try it tonight
WOW... 22$ for a 2$ prop... you're right...way too expensive... even in australian $...:D

If you ask your LHS manager politely, wouldn't he order them for you? They must be imported to aussie... somewhere... no need to order them in from the states...

Mattyb 06-26-2003 12:39 AM

yeah will do that as a last resort just means waiting till he gets another shipment from apc which could take a while.

Mattyb 06-26-2003 04:26 AM

ok only other close prop i can find is an 8x7. how would this go?
i imagine it would rev out to much

Rudeboy 06-26-2003 08:22 AM

I dunno...haven't tried the 8x7... because my engine really screams on an 8x8... I would have to start cutting the pipe to tune it for the 8x7, because my header is already completely used up :p...

Try it, it probably won't harm the engine (no guarantees here...), but you would go past the rpm where the engine develops its max power output probably... so you will have slightly less speed because the engine will rev up less compared to the decrease in pitch...

It will still be faster than the 9x7 though, that's for sure... so it might fill the gap until you can get your hands on an 8x8...

rconabudget 07-02-2003 07:20 AM

8x8 props

Matt,

I have an APC 8x8 prop in stock at AU$4-95 and AU$3-00 shipping if you woiuld like. Just call me.

Regards
Kerry

rconabudget 07-02-2003 07:22 AM

8x8 props

Matt,

I can get most APC props without too much trouble. I also have 8x9, 9x7, 9x8 & 9x9 in stock for the same price.

REgards
Kerry

Mattyb 07-03-2003 05:10 AM

thanks Kerry
will let you know how it goes.

Matt