RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   LOOK what arrived today!!! Keecat II (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/8951043-look-what-arrived-today-keecat-ii.html)

snappa 07-21-2009 01:51 AM

LOOK what arrived today!!! Keecat II

Photos posted soon, very happy with it and the price is good

snappa 07-21-2009 02:03 AM

RE: LOOK what arrived today!!! Keecat II

1 Attachment(s)
here is the first few

snappa 07-21-2009 02:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The website photos don't do it justice is actually quite big, you will see a bic lighter in some of the photos for a size comparison, I don't smoke but I think its an international item

snappa 07-21-2009 02:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Christina was kind enough to get in the photo for a size comparison for the mock up control surfaces are ailerons, elevator and rudder

snappa 07-21-2009 02:53 AM

The retracts at this stage seem very secure with little play, actually they seem to almost have a wedge like effect in the down position, just enough to keep them tight, I was going to use an old GMS .76 in this but now are not too sure as its not the best motor I have I may go for something else but a 90 I think may be too big?

still4given 07-21-2009 07:31 AM

Most 90's now a days are the same size as a 60 or 75. Some even lighter.

snappa 07-22-2009 01:18 AM

Started the build last night one thing to watch for, I am happy with the quality but found the knife cuts for one hinge on the rudder out of alignment by about 1mm not much but enough to be annoying some other comments I have so far is the tail is held on by captive screws put in from the inside of the fuselage, it does not mention glue but I will be glueing it into place, this is the same setup for the high elevator, screws but no mention of glue... I will glue both, probably go with a new motor too as I never really liked the GMS performance

snappa 07-22-2009 01:19 AM

I do want some advice on motor size as I dont want to put a 90 in it and find it uncontrollable

snappa 07-22-2009 05:16 AM

Well glued the tail and elevator on tonight, things to note, place a loop or draw wire into the tail before fitting other wise you will never get it in later, DRY FIT EVERYTHING if you glue it you dont want any supprises, I found the upper elevator to be out of alignment which required a "kick" anti clockwise by slotting the screw holes, use the usual method of a string attached to central points of the body to check alignment

Crazy4Flight 07-22-2009 08:34 PM

I have a Jett Engineering 90L for sale on RCU it braand new.

bob

snappa 07-23-2009 01:36 AM

HOW MUCH? and why are you selling it

combatpigg 07-23-2009 01:41 AM

ORIGINAL: snappa

HOW MUCH? and why are you selling it

To fund research on why guys buy stuff that they never will use.

snappa 07-23-2009 01:46 AM

price?

snappa 07-23-2009 01:49 AM

Quite interested in how this will handle with the high elevator I guess landings will be shallow and fast

combatpigg 07-23-2009 02:28 AM

The wingloading, drag and CG will determine your glide.
It would be quite an engineering challenge to build a T-tailed model with no twist, [plenty of strength], no control slop [or spongieness], no flutter and make it light. This is a hard idea to scale down.
I would never attempt it, I'd just build a plane like that with elevons and call it good.
.60 sized is a whole different game than what I play, a model like this should work out just fine. I can't visualize the tail group without any fiberglass to tie it together, though.

snappa 07-23-2009 02:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
more pics

snappa 09-29-2009 03:09 AM

almost finished, flight report soon

MJD 09-29-2009 07:28 AM

I do want some advice on motor size as I dont want to put a 90 in it and find it uncontrollable
Snappa, if you're worried about a bit of extra power you're not going to get a lot of sympathy on this forum.. :)

Airplanes don't become uncontrollable because of a bit of extra power, and don't forget about the left stick on the transmitter. Balance, trim problems, design flaws, that's another story. That thing is big enough it's not going to run away at high speed.

MJD

Mustang Fever 09-29-2009 07:45 AM

Snappa:

How's the Kat going? I was curious whether they give you a range of useable engines. I was thinking about an OS 55 or 75, AX series.

lfinney 09-29-2009 03:21 PM

BTW, this design is a knockoff of the real speedster, in real life full size its called a pushy cat, raced in F1 at reno, and other places, a good ducted fan engine would be right at home on this...

Yak13 09-29-2009 04:36 PM

Im not aquainted with this model. The experience I have with the Nitromodels Falcon 120 is that the wing is extremely fat, eliminating any chance of fast flight. That will also determine the engine/prop setup.

snappa 09-30-2009 12:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Actually the wing is not that fat, I have a GMS .76 in it I have ended up using 8 channels on it and when the front wheel is folded up I lock the front wheel servo I am getting the feeling its not an extreme speed machine but I will expect it will be quite quick, long and sleek and I bet landings will be hot and fast.....no floating in with this one lol I like this plane because its a little unusual, I have beefed up the wires to the retracts by covering them with cf tube as I have never liked bare wire on it, it has a rudder but being high on the tail I expect it to induce a little roll? still might help with cross winds im going to fire it up with the GMS and see how it flys, if it goes well I will shift up to a bigger motor #1 main photo build in progress, #2 Fuel tank would you belive the manufacturer states the clunk goes to the front? I have a bit of concern about the length of tube required to put it in the right way #3 towards the front #4 Business end #5 the mod I had to do to fit CF on the wheel well, manufacturer says bend the rod to skirt around the well, not the best design, #6 Wheel well out of round had to fill on one side with epoxy and microballons #7 lol Garage is not always this messy just while building :-)

snappa 09-30-2009 01:05 AM

[link=http://images.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl=http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/upload/products/md_1215785023_XM%2520Pushy%2520Cat.jpg&imgrefurl=h ttp://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/products.php%3FProductID%3D6731%26CatID%3D423&usg= __yIWo4XBdaMP_MmOlrktHrhyouIs=&h=161&w=256&sz=6&hl =en&start=12&um=1&tbnid=A7olngwjWVZyUM:&tbnh=70&tb nw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpushy%2Bcat%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3 D1]nothing close to this I feel[/link] just because it has a high tail does not make this a copy

MJD 09-30-2009 07:23 AM

#7 lol Garage is not always this messy just while building :-)
You call that messy? Stop reading Martha Stewart books, that's neat as a pin by my standards! :) I'll bet you can find things you remember you own, too.

MJD

lfinney 09-30-2009 07:45 AM

martha stewart...craft times for inept blonde housewives, today we are going to make cupcakes and pink lemonade:eek::)