RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Weird Radio Problem with my Diamond Dust with Jett 60LX (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/8979780-weird-radio-problem-my-diamond-dust-jett-60lx.html)

cobratraxxas69 07-31-2009 05:37 PM

Weird Radio Problem with my Diamond Dust with Jett 60LX

Hi all,

I am having a weird problem with my Diamond Dust with Jett 60LX. I have a Hitec Flash 5 Radio (72 Mhz Ch 44) and a Neutron 6 receiver. With the engine off, the plane's electronics operate normally. But when I start up the powerful engine (which turns a 8.8 x 9 APC D-1 pylon prop 18,000 RPM) , the throttle servo goes crazy (I have absolutely no control over it, it goes up to full throttle and back to mid-throttle and then back up to full throttle, cycling constantly)....I had to stop the engine by blocking the exhaust pipe. I don't remember if the elevon servos were going crazy also. What is weird is that this problem only occurs with the engine running....Is it some kind of radio interference or vibration issue created by the engine?

ChrisAttebery 07-31-2009 05:52 PM

RE: Weird Radio Problem with my Diamond Dust with Jett 60LX

YES!

It could be:
a servo with a bad pot
a metal to metal connection that is making RF noise
a bad bearing in the motor
a bad receiver
a bad extension

Start eliminating items one at a time. Sooner or later you'll find it.

ORIGINAL: cobratraxxas69
Is it some kind of radio interference or vibration issue created by the engine?

GVR-4579 07-31-2009 06:04 PM

I know its not a gas engine but are you using a metal control rod on the throttle?

cobratraxxas69 07-31-2009 06:49 PM

ORIGINAL: GVR-4579

I know its not a gas engine but are you using a metal control rod on the throttle?

Yes

GVR-4579 07-31-2009 07:18 PM

metal control rods sometimes cause interference when used on an engine, you might want to try a different control rod if its easy to try.

ChrisAttebery 07-31-2009 07:25 PM

The carb arm on the Jett is metal, right?

cobratraxxas69 07-31-2009 07:42 PM

ORIGINAL: ChrisAttebery

The carb arm on the Jett is metal, right?

Yep

freakingfast 07-31-2009 08:00 PM

Change out the throttle push rod for one that has threads on end so you can put a plastic clevis or even better a plastic ball link to make the engine connection. The servo end is your option on how you connect to a plastic servo arm. A long wire (push rod) making a rattling contact with a large metal mass (engine) makes RFI, Radio Frequency Interference.

Normally, this is only barely noticeable with the transmitter in close vicinity, an out of control servo like you describe doesn't bode well for the Neutron 6 receiver's noise rejection .

Time to stock up on the old Electron 6 receivers because Hitec may have FUBAR-ed again?

cobratraxxas69 07-31-2009 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

Change out the throttle push rod for one that has threads on end so you can put a plastic clevis or even better a plastic ball link to make the engine connection. The servo end is your option on how you connect to a plastic servo arm. A long wire (push rod) making a rattling contact with a large metal mass (engine) makes RFI, Radio Frequency Interference.

Normally, this is only barely noticeable with the transmitter in close vicinity, an out of control servo like you describe doesn't bode well for the Neutron 6 receiver's noise rejection .

Time to stock up on the old Electron 6 receivers because Hitec may have FUBAR-ed again?

Actually there is a plastic clevis at the end of the metal threaded throttle push rod. I'm wondering if I should change to a different receiver (I have an Electron 6 and a Supreme IIS laying around)...

freakingfast 07-31-2009 08:13 PM

Yep, I just looked at Hitec's receiver lineup and you couldn't make me fly with ANY of their current offerings...what a shame!!!!

freakingfast 07-31-2009 08:17 PM

Use the Electron. I have a Supreme II, I cant tell you what I think about it on this forum, I'll get kicked for sure.

cobratraxxas69 07-31-2009 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

Use the Electron. I have a Supreme II, I cant tell you what I think about it on this forum, I'll get kicked for sure.

Hehehe, thats funny! I usually ran the Electron 6, until I noticed that on one of my Diamond Dusts it would go crazy once the fuselage heated up on hot days (over 90 degrees) at the field. I believe it had a faulty component that was temperature sensistive. After that happened I switched to Neutrons, but maybe I should give the Supreme a try.....

freakingfast 07-31-2009 08:45 PM

Try a new crystal, if not, you may be right. It's toast.

Kmot 07-31-2009 10:00 PM

Dude.....

Spektrum 5e for under a hundred bucks.

:D

cobratraxxas69 07-31-2009 10:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Dude.....

Spektrum 5e for under a hundred bucks.

:D

That was my first thought (time to give up the 72 MHz and make the plunge into 2.4)!!! I didn't realize they had a beginners system for under $100

I wonder which system (FASST vs Specktrum) is less suspectible to RF interference.....

Maybe I could start a FASST vs Specktrum debate!!!!!.....:eek:[X(]:):D

Kmot 07-31-2009 11:06 PM

Time to read up young man. :)

2.4G gets NO RF interference. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Choose your weapon: FASST, FHSS, DSM, etc

BTW, the DX5e is a 'full' radio, not just a parkie like the very first DX6. That means the DX5e can be used in anything. Yer not gonna take a 150mph plane out to a speck anyway, right? [sm=omg_smile.gif]

Kmot 07-31-2009 11:08 PM

Oh yeah, Hobby People has the Airtronics RD8000 2.4G radio on sale right now with a Rx for $140.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751700.asp

cobratraxxas69 07-31-2009 11:31 PM

I guess I'm waiting for this new-fangled 2.4 GHz stuff to catch on....:)

cobratraxxas69 08-01-2009 12:11 AM

Thanks for all your help guys!

bob27s 08-03-2009 03:06 PM

On a crystal type receiver, the vibration/rpm/frequency can cause the RX to go nuts. Seen it more than once on a QM40 or Q-500 where I didnt have the RX properly packed in foam and isolated from the airframe. (usually because I had not flown the plane in a while, and the RX snuck out of the foam padding, or the foam crushed unti the RX hit the airframe).

It happens just like fuel foaming........ and for the same reasons. Ensure that the RX is padded well with good packing foam and that is not touching the fuel tank or airframe structure.

On a lot of todays ARF installations (and some top end kits too), the instructions have you install a RX with some tape and a few tie wraps. Makes me cringe when ever I see that !!

The switch is another thing to check too. Some cheaper switches will fall apart with higher energy levels going through the airframe - but it is more obvious to see what is wrong there..... everything stops working