RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Sig Wonders (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/899648-sig-wonders.html)

WerHop 06-26-2003 12:23 PM

Sig Wonders

Hi There,

I would like to know where all the wonders are located, i want to get info as of what engine people use on them and so on

werner

Stuntpiloot 06-27-2003 09:45 AM

Sig Wonders

Hallo,

The SIG wonder is on my favorite plane list :D
It can be used in a large speed range.

I've flown 3 of them. They are very fun to fly, and they are very easy to handle.
Mine were powered by a .32 ASP engine and two of them were powered by a .25 OSmax.
The max speed was not exteme. my guess is apx 80-90mph max.

But the plane is easy and cheap to build from a plan.

WerHop 06-27-2003 10:11 AM

Sig Wonders

I have one and my brother has gotten one for himself now.

i will post a pic of mine here, it is powerered by a norvel .15

pic follows

werner

WerHop 06-27-2003 10:15 AM

pic one

1 Attachment(s)
This is on my bed nice and clean !!

OMPEdgeFlyer 06-28-2003 01:10 AM

Sig Wonders

WOW, I come here to gloat about my new find and low and behold a ne3w post about the Wonder........

I have just finished up a new wonder(my 2nd) and it is powered by a Pico .45(what a joy to balance) and it hauls!!! It will now run with the 32 SX powered Shrike at the local club.

ANYWAYYYYYY,

Today i go to fly it and a new guy shows up with a beautiful Wonder he built "8, 9 year ago I reckon" and just now set it up to fly. Had a new 10FP that he enver ran. We benched it, and after seeing mine was happy and ready to fly. When his barely stayed up after the throw and some edgy stick moving tokeep her afloat he was not so happy at how slow it was compared to mine. He flew forever (has an 8 ounce tank!!) and landed it and said he was gonna sell it. He pulled his receiver and switch and BAM, 40 bucks later its MINE ALL MINE!!!!

I will post pics of them tomorrow on this thread.

Dave_Gherardini 06-28-2003 02:55 AM

Enya .19

1 Attachment(s)
Heres mine before i converted it to electric. I used a old Enya .19. with no pipe. flew it once and scared the _hit out of some folks down where i fly. It was plenty fast for me but to loud for the neighbors. Im installing a modified car motor on it now so it wont sound to fast and scary! I dont think ill see the climb rate i had but it just another try it and see how it works and go from there.

Dave G

Kaos1 06-28-2003 03:02 AM

Sig Wonders

I had an old bushed OS 15 to start. After a few years I finally put a NovaRossi 20 on it. What a difference!!! Unlimited vertical till you can't see it which is not long given the size and speed. Probably 70 to 80mph straight up.

The sky is the limit!!

WerHop 06-29-2003 05:16 PM

Sig Wonders

Kaos1 :

Did you ever experience some difficulties with the power of the engine and the original design of the wonder?, the novaRossi is quite a light engine, but some guys at our club snapped the wing with a 32 SX, it is surely much hevier.

werner

WerHop 06-29-2003 05:20 PM

Sig Wonders

I flew mine today and think i got about 144km/h this is 90 m/h

this is with a standard Norvel .15 with the exhast baffle removed and a 8x4 prop.

I am trying to get a 7x6 prop which should make it go almost 50% faster if the rpm's can be held without loosing too much.

I am also thinking of the novaRossi .15 for the extra power and speed.

werner

Kaos1 06-29-2003 10:16 PM

Sig Wonders

WerHop,

You must be turning a lot of RPM's to get 90 mph on a 8X4 prop!! Way to go.

I originally built the Wonder according to the plans. When I swapped engines I made no structural changes. Just had to add a little weight to the tail and left wing tip. I had to put a little down thrust in the engine to avoid consant climbing and down trim in the elevator.

I have not snapped the wing, just keep the flying smooth with no abrupt attitude changes at high speeds.

WerHop 06-30-2003 05:21 AM

Sig Wonders

Kaos1 :

I think that the 90 mph must a rough calculation as we calculated the time over our 120m runway, this was after a high dive to gain some speed and then a level flight over the runway, we can be a bit out but not too much, the only changes that I did was take the baffle out the exhast, don't know if this can make it go over 20 000 rpm, it will have to go about 23000 - 24000 to get that speed, maybe the dive helped, i am planning on putting a 7x6 on it, when my supplier gets in stock.

did you calculate the speed with the novaRossi in front?

werner

bobbdd 06-30-2003 10:27 AM

Is there two sizes of Sig Wonder?

I thought I saw a larger Sig Wonder ? A .40-.60 size Wonder would be "madness" .....but I'd give it a try.

bobbdd

WerHop 06-30-2003 10:50 AM

Sig Wonders

I thought of scaling the wonder up a bit, to get about 15% bigger in total, then i wanted to put a rossi .40 with pipe on it and see how that goes, i need to do this still when i have no projects to work on.

werner

Stuntpiloot 06-30-2003 11:16 AM

Sig Wonders

Hmm, when I hear all these stories I feel like building a wonder again....
I'll build one as a replacement for my current RM racer.

A thinner wing, and my novarossy .20 with tuned pipe, that should work. :D

About the wing, can I just thinner it, and keep the same profile? (Thinner the thickest section, and then draw it proportional to the front ant the rear?)

WerHop 06-30-2003 11:52 AM

Sig Wonders

I thought of thinning the wing as well, will make it faster,

i easiest will be to scan the frame in and just reduce the scan by making it thinner , the rest will be done automatically.

one can also create a dwg file in autoCAD and modify it.

tell us about the performance on the thinner wing wonder please.

werner

seafury-RCU 06-30-2003 03:16 PM

Sig Wonders

I thought an OS32SX would be an ideal combo with the wonder.

Am I wrong about this?

WerHop 06-30-2003 03:42 PM

Sig Wonders

The OS32SX is really good for the plane, maybe a bit heavier than the novaRossi .15 / .21, but works well if you don't do too fast movements

werner

jwoolridge 07-01-2003 01:34 PM

Sig Wonders

I just finished mine friday. Made the test flight saturday. Plane flies great. I used an OS 25 LA with MA 8x6 with standard radio gear. Flew nice although during breakin I ran the 25 super rich and it didn't have much speed 45-55 mph. Yesterday I leaned the engine out on the 9 tank and it started moving didn't drop at all from the launch And probably was 50% faster than it was during breakin. I'd say it flew about 70mph. Great little plane and it's nice not to have to diassemble before and after every days flying.
James

Dave_Gherardini 07-02-2003 05:07 AM

Trials

1 Attachment(s)
Ive finaly got he chance to fly this bird with the ele motor. 14D car motor turning a 7x4 at 40amps. launch was easy. not to bad for small feild flying. Crankin around 13000 rpms it clocked at 45 mph in a S/L. So then I cut down an APC 7X6 to 5.25X6 and clocked it at 70mph S/L. Im running an 8cell 1100mah nicad pack that was overworked. The 5.25X6 was churning a woping 15000 rpm's. AUW at 35oz. Clock speed was with 2 stop watches so acuracy would be around 20% or so.
This plane flys great at slow speeds. Launch was scary with the small prop but with the big prop it jumps from your hand.
Dave G

Heres a pic of the motor. Its a Double wind 14 turn 540 Modified.

bobbdd 07-02-2003 10:50 AM

Scratch built Wonder

I was thinking of building a wonder out of the many wings, that lost their fuses. Am i correct in thinking I would have to take out the dihedral? Would the flying wing be unstable if it had the dihedral left in? And where would a good CG starting point be ?

Thanks bobbdd

jwoolridge 07-02-2003 11:38 AM

Sig Wonders

Scratch building a wonder wouldn't be to hard but to use a wing you have left over from a crash of a different plane may be more difficult. The cg would have to be in the same spot on the wing as it was with the last plane the wing was on unless u modify the wing airofoil and chord at which point it's easier to build a new wing.
The wonder it's self has no dihedral but if your scratch building you can build it however you want to.
If I was you and had some crashed wings and wanted to scatch build something small and fast I'd just make my own plans around one of the wings I had and then build that.
If you have a wonder wing it would be easy to scratch build a fuse if you had a set of plans.
James

bobbdd 07-03-2003 12:25 AM

LHS is getting me a Wonder

Ya I thought I'd just get a new one. But thanks.... I hear alot of people putting on .25's would the O.S. CV .15 be good it is a screamer but it is still a .15 ?

Bobbdd

jwoolridge 07-03-2003 12:38 AM

Sig Wonders

I you have one give it a try. If not get a OS 25 LA, same power half the price.
James

bobbdd 07-03-2003 12:59 AM

Good idea

I like the LA engines. It seems people think the LA's are a nothing special engine, but if ya look at the spec's.......

bobbdd

WerHop 07-04-2003 11:10 AM

Sig Wonders

We are building a standard wonder that will be powered by a Norvel .25 AME engine, this engine is more powerful than the OS .25 FX and we are looking forward to flying it next weekend, we will be testing it with a number of different props, the first being a 9x5 just to get the hang of it then we will look for speed and measure and let you guys know.

werner