RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   MAGNUMR NOT FAST ENOUGH (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/9023331-magnumr-not-fast-enough.html)

thundertiger76 08-17-2009 02:51 PM

MAGNUMR NOT FAST ENOUGH

[font="Arial"]Does anyone know how to make my MagnumR faster as it does not seem like its doing 200 mph more like 130 mph.
Weston UK recommened chopping half an inche of the manifold and tuned pipe but is this really going to bring it up to speed ?

mk1spitfire 08-17-2009 03:11 PM

RE: MAGNUMR NOT FAST ENOUGH

130mph? Your not pushing it hard enough..!! She's defininately good for over 150 and faster downwind.

I suggest you fly giant 'U'. Take her up VERY high, dive her vertically and pull gently up to level for short pass infront of you, that is if you don't do that allready. Some just fly her flat and may bleed the speed off in tight turns, which she doesn't like.

Cutting an inch off is for the use of a 8x8 prop and will see rpm hit 20kplus so, yes speed will go up.

HOWEVER;-Weston advise that for MAX speed an 8x10 is used WITHOUT cutting any of the manifold pipe, lauches will require a push, unlike a a 9x7 where its easy to self launch and it go vertical and good all round prop for average speed.

What type of prop are you using? What fuel/nitro content? What plug?

Heres some magnum in action in the 150 band.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTsP6bKN5NA&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

My magnum now has 193 flights on her.!!

MJD 08-17-2009 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: thundertiger76

[font=''Arial'']Does anyone know how to make my MagnumR faster as it does not seem like its doing 200 mph more like 130 mph.
Weston UK recommened chopping half an inche of the manifold and tuned pipe but is this really going to bring it up to speed ?[font=''Arial''][/font]
Unfortunately, you need to forget the notion that the MagnumR is a 200mph airplane. It ain't, despite the box copy and what else. On a West .50V1 run hard the best clockings I've heard of are in the 165 range. They are quick, but not as quick as they claim.

MJD

mk1spitfire 08-17-2009 03:53 PM

Lifes a drag, even for the magnum.

BUT keep your eyes open for the mini magnum soon, powered by the 36v1 and electric version, The speed is likely to raise

thundertiger76 08-17-2009 03:58 PM

I am using 10% nitro with 9x7 prop. I tried a APC 8x9 which seems to make the plane go slower.
Yes it speeds up in a dive but i thought it was good for 200 mph on a flat run.
I have had about 15 flights with mine so far its has been great, just want more speed.

mk1spitfire 08-17-2009 04:14 PM

Ha, welcome Brother, Many great people in the forum can help you with speed addiction.. Hehe.

You are not the first who DEMANDS more speed, This is why there is this great forum for counciling your addiction problem.Well, thats why i'm here.!!!

I don't think you are going to get your speed with this model flying flat, but might improve with GENTLE turns or High dives to let the prop fully unload.

I've allways thought that it would be better if the damm exhaust was in the fuz, but its a side engine.

Don't know if cowling the engine would help, sealing the hinge lines?

It could well be that the plane is reaching its terminal velocity.

Maybe Mike could hook you up with Deamon.??

KC36330 08-17-2009 04:33 PM

there's only one way to satisfy the 'Need For Speed' and that's get you a kerosene burner.

mk1spitfire 08-17-2009 04:36 PM

ohhhhhh yess for sure.

Some use the magnum as a jet trainer

KC36330 08-17-2009 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: mk1spitfire

Some use the magnum as a jet trainer
it's not much help other then training your eyes to keep up, you need something with high wing loading and lots of switches to flip for jet training, old G62 powered war birds with flaps/retracts do a better job of that.

mk1spitfire 08-17-2009 04:46 PM

Yer agree, It looks jet like and training the eyes to keep up could be for some a test to see if they might have the applitude to move on to higher wingloading and switching things

Dieselman1220 08-17-2009 05:18 PM

Ive been looking for a magnum for a few months. Is there any place in US where one can grab one. Ive been keeping an eye on the classifieds and fleabay with no luck.

vicman 08-17-2009 05:36 PM

The US stock got purged about two years ago and the guys who bought one usually bought two (like me:D) and really don't want to give up the spare.

2 bills aint never gonna happen with the Magnum bro. Sorry. 140 average with a good motor and prop selection. 160 + and the same out of a dive.

MJD 08-17-2009 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: mk1spitfire
Maybe Mike could hook you up with Deamon.??
The West .50V1/pipe package on a Demon is a fun combo, I have 20-25 flights on mine now and by now it's routine to fly. I use triple rates, mostly because I set them up that way so I have all kinds of options on the test flights, then I never dumb it down later. The high rate is only 3/16", maybe a hair more on full aileron deflection, and the roll rate at full bore is too fast to count, we figure 10-12 per second. It is noticably faster than the MagnumR on the same power package.

MJD

combatpigg 08-18-2009 12:48 AM

Hmm, turbines VS glow.
Pro athletes shoot pool against each other for $10,000 a game but don't have any more fun than I do playing for $5. And $20 is what you get around here if you win the Sunday tournament [X(].
The owner of our LHS went the turbine route and got bored with them finally.
I still have the most fun flying 2 foot span planes with 1 cc engines, I never get tired of it.

I-Love-Jets 08-18-2009 05:37 AM

ORIGINAL: thundertiger76

Yes it speeds up in a dive but i thought it was good for 200 mph on a flat run.
just want more speed.

ORIGINAL: Dieselman1220

Ive been looking for a magnum for a few months. Is there any place in US where one can grab one. Ive been keeping an eye on the classifieds and fleabay with no luck.
There are many alternatives to Magnums, Diamond Dusts etc. commercially available - and some of them deserve the 200 mph designation!

Just take a look at these speed planes everyone can purchase, I am sure you'll find the right one that suits your personal need for speed:

http://image2-6.rcuniverse.com/e1/fo...22/Lj21566.jpg

KC36330 08-18-2009 07:17 AM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Hmm, turbines VS glow.
Pro athletes shoot pool against each other for $10,000 a game but don't have any more fun than I do playing for $5. And $20 is what you get around here if you win the Sunday tournament [X(].
The owner of our LHS went the turbine route and got bored with them finally.
I still have the most fun flying 2 foot span planes with 1 cc engines, I never get tired of it.

i still fly a 4* 40 w/ Saito 45 which is about as little a power as you can put on there and it still fly and enjoy hell out of touch and go's with it, nobody said you had to have a turbine to have fun...........ever notice how the people who bash turbines are the people who don't own one. :eek:

MJD 08-18-2009 09:00 AM

ORIGINAL: KC36330

i still fly a 4* 40 w/ Saito 45 which is about as little a power as you can put on there and it still fly and enjoy hell out of touch and go's with it, nobody said you had to have a turbine to have fun...........ever notice how the people who bash turbines are the people who don't own one. :eek:
I do own one and they are not the answer to everything, but they are certainly very cool, and speed is not a problem to be tackled anymore - just punch it. All flying is cool IMHO, and I typically see more diverse flying with prop aircraft, naturally I guess. Like you said KC I don't think the modeller without a turbine needs to feel speed envy, or that they are lacking something in their endeavours. At a recent jet rally I noticed that the flight profile of nearly everything I saw was about the same. There were more things the turbines weren't doing, than what they were doing if you catch my drift. How much fun you have is up to the individual of course.

This from a guy about to market a jet kit.. :)

MJD

KC36330 08-18-2009 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: MJD

This from a guy about to market a jet kit.. :)

if it's in the 28-36lb thrust class send me a prototype for evaluation testing ;)

combatpigg 08-18-2009 09:38 AM

...ever notice how the people who bash turbines are the people who don't own one. :eek:
To call what I said, a "bash" is a "Drama Queen's" perspective on what I posted.

MJD 08-18-2009 12:03 PM

if it's in the 28-36lb thrust class send me a prototype for evaluation testing ;)
Nice try!

Actually it's for small stuff, as there are so few dedicated kits at this point (none?).

MJD

KC36330 08-18-2009 12:10 PM

To call what I said, a ''bash'' is a ''Drama Queen's'' perspective on what I posted.
yet another fine example of your envy, when you're in a hole, put the shovel down.

ORIGINAL: MJD

Nice try!

Actually it's for small stuff, as there are so few dedicated kits at this point (none?).

you must be working on the 4lb class? quiet a few airframes designed for the 8-10 pounders.

combatpigg 08-18-2009 12:25 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: KC36330

To call what I said, a ''bash'' is a ''Drama Queen's'' perspective on what I posted.
yet another fine example of your envy, when you're in a hole, put the shovel down.

It makes you feel better to think of it as envy, but it's not. I could pay cash for 50 set ups like you brag about, but in my 54th year of life I know better than to do that. I already know that it won't bring me any more enjoyment than what pocket change can buy.
Some guys "get it", some don't.

KC36330 08-18-2009 12:32 PM

It makes you feel better to think of it as envy, but it's not. I could pay cash for 50 set ups like you brag about, but in my 54th year of life I know better than to do that. I already know that it won't bring me any more enjoyment than what pocket change can buy.
Some guys ''get it'', some don't.

and you don't, nowhere have you seen me brag about any setup, you read the word turbine and jumped on your little bandwagon, get over it princess.

combatpigg 08-18-2009 12:58 PM

there's only one way to satisfy the 'Need For Speed' and that's get you a kerosene burner.

Here you go Bragger Boy.

There are several ways to satisfy the need for speed.....unless you are a Bragger Boy, then it becomes more of a contest to see who can out spend who.

KC36330 08-18-2009 01:01 PM

Here you go Bragger Boy.

There are several ways to satisfy the need for speed.....unless you are a Bragger Boy, then it becomes more of a contest to see who can out spend who.

That's bragging? talk about being a Drama Queen............