RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Phoenix Models F-20 tail linkages? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/9078662-phoenix-models-f-20-tail-linkages.html)

Quikturn 09-08-2009 10:35 AM

Phoenix Models F-20 tail linkages?

Can anyone post a picture of their Phoenix F-20 tail linkages? I have a photocopied instruction manual with the F-20 I'm building and the pictures are very poor quality. It's hard to see how this goes together.

From what I can tell, this is not the best design. I've read some people lost their airplane because of control horns breaking. Now I see why.

darthvaj 09-08-2009 01:09 PM

RE: Phoenix Models F-20 tail linkages?

Sure will, I just finished mine over the weekend. When i get home tonight i will take some pic and post.

Kmot 09-08-2009 01:18 PM

I bet you can find some pics in this slideshow from the huge thread on the Phoenix F-20:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gall...readID=3410514

Dieselman1220 09-08-2009 03:07 PM

mines a stock US model, over 100 flights no issues

Quikturn 09-08-2009 05:20 PM

Thanks for the link Kmot. Looks like there are different versions of this airplane. I beleive I have the US version which has both rudder and elevator servo mounted internally. It looks like the pushrods need to be bent which can cause them to flex under a load. There is a picture of Rever's F-20 that crashed due to a broken elevator control horn. Any lessons to be learned here? I purchased a control post just in case.

darthvaj 09-09-2009 04:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Quikturn

Can anyone post a picture of their Phoenix F-20 tail linkages? I have a photocopied instruction manual with the F-20 I'm building and the pictures are very poor quality. It's hard to see how this goes together.

From what I can tell, this is not the best design. I've read some people lost their airplane because of control horns breaking. Now I see why.
Here are the pictures i promised of the tail linkages i used on mine.

darthvaj 09-09-2009 04:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Sorry i can only load one pic at a time, here is the rudder and fin assy.

Quikturn 09-09-2009 09:14 AM

Thanks for the pictures Darthvaj.

Is it posibble you can send a picture of the elevator/rudder servos? Looks like you used a clevis with a ball joint to cope with the pushrod/control horn angle. Good idea!

I'm thinking of using a pushrod from the rudder servo and run it up to the steering linkage as well. That way I can avoid a steering servo.

FYI, I was using a z bend tool for the aileron linkages and the supplied pushrods broke! I didn't realize it until I was installing the second linkage. So if anyone out there has the supplied pushrods installed, I would replace them. They could break in flight.

darthvaj 09-09-2009 09:44 AM

Thanks for the pictures Darthvaj.

Is it posibble you can send a picture of the elevator/rudder servos? Looks like you used a clevis with a ball joint to cope with the pushrod/control horn angle. Good idea!

I'm thinking of using a pushrod from the rudder servo and run it up to the steering linkage as well. That way I can avoid a steering servo.

FYI, I was using a z bend tool for the aileron linkages and the supplied pushrods broke! I didn't realize it until I was installing the second linkage. So if anyone out there has the supplied pushrods installed, I would replace them. They could break in flight.
No problem, I will take some more tonight after work and post them by morning. As for the nose wheel stearing i used a secound servo located up front and linked the rudder and steering together.

Kmot 09-09-2009 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some pics of mine:

Quikturn 09-09-2009 10:49 PM

Thanks for the pictures Kmot. Looks like you used heavy duty clevises too.

I like the pipes you have on your engine, very cool!

darthvaj 09-10-2009 04:28 AM

Quikturn, here are the pics for the rudder and elevator servo setup you asked for.

Sorry Quikturn, i seem to be haveing trouble uploading pics today, it says "server unable to display page" everytime i try to load a pic. I will try later today/tonight.

darthvaj 09-10-2009 09:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: darthvaj

Quikturn, here are the pics for the rudder and elevator servo setup you asked for.

Sorry Quikturn, i seem to be haveing trouble uploading pics today, it says ''server unable to display page'' everytime i try to load a pic. I will try later today/tonight.
OK lets try this again! Here are the pictures you asked for of the rudder and elevator servo setup. I used 4-40 rod and links on all connection including alierons.

darthvaj 09-10-2009 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
picture #2 of the nose wheele steering servo

Quikturn 09-10-2009 09:48 AM

Thank you for the pictures Darthvaj! I had trouble uploading images too but I it's because my files were too big.

Looks like you set up the tail linkages a little different than Kmot did. Are there any bends in those linkages? I like you use of ball joint clevises. The control surfaces are not in line with the servo arms and make for a tricky setup. That may explain why some of these airplanes crashed.

As for the steering linkage, I plan on routing a pushrod from the rudder servo. I'll post pictures if this works out.

darthvaj 09-10-2009 10:27 AM

Thank you for the pictures Darthvaj! I had trouble uploading images too but I it's because my files were too big.

Looks like you set up the tail linkages a little different than Kmot did. Are there any bends in those linkages? I like you use of ball joint clevises. The control surfaces are not in line with the servo arms and make for a tricky setup. That may explain why some of these airplanes crashed.

As for the steering linkage, I plan on routing a pushrod from the rudder servo. I'll post pictures if this works out.
Quikturn, All push rods are streight from the servo to the control horn. I did have to notch out one bulkhead just aft of the servos to get the right angle. I thought about running a steering cable from the rudder to the nose wheel but i like the direct drive from a servo, i can adjust the endpoint and travel.

Quikturn 09-14-2009 12:41 AM

Kmot,

From what I can tell, the way you set up the elevator/rudder linkages is the way it's supposed to be. When I lay out the pushrods this way it requires no internal modifications (cutting of balsa). The rudder pushrod does need to be bent a little however.

Kmot 09-14-2009 10:32 PM

;) yup... ;)