RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   So, what about this new 60 in a 40 size Evolution? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/9135944-so-what-about-new-60-40-size-evolution.html)

Kmot 09-30-2009 11:42 AM

So, what about this new 60 in a 40 size Evolution?

1 Attachment(s)
Is this going to be a 'sleeper' speed engine? A 60 displacement in a 40 sized crankcase and designed for tuned pipe use.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EVOE0600

jeffk464 09-30-2009 11:49 AM

RE: So, what about this new 60 in a 40 size Evolution?

Looks like they are trying to one up the 55AX. Might be interesting to see how it competes power wise, but its going to have a hard time running better.

MJD 09-30-2009 12:48 PM

They recommend a 10-7 at the small end, that's encouraging from a manufacturer at least. I'm interested to see what it can do, afaik the .36 makes some good mokie up in the 17-18k range. But why won't people point the exhaust in the right direction?

MJD

proptop 09-30-2009 12:58 PM

Have a look in the Classic Pattern forum...there is going to be a Phoenix 7 ARF [8D] and this engine is going to be marketed as it's power plant.
I wonder if it will hold together though, flight after flight after flight...with a tuned pipe...burning maybe a gallon a day practicing...just like the "old days"...;)

Might be great for occasional use though...maybe one of you guys will be the first to "field test" for us?!

jeffk464 09-30-2009 04:04 PM

ORIGINAL: proptop

Have a look in the Classic Pattern forum...there is going to be a Phoenix 7 ARF [8D] and this engine is going to be marketed as it's power plant.
I wonder if it will hold together though, flight after flight after flight...with a tuned pipe...burning maybe a gallon a day practicing...just like the ''old days''...;)

Might be great for occasional use though...maybe one of you guys will be the first to ''field test'' for us?!
Cant, its going to take me way too long to wear out my 55AX.

lfinney 09-30-2009 06:23 PM

this engine isnt about stroking a .40 to make it a 55, its about using rpm and more timing to make lots of power, totally different approach to making power, the ax 55 is about quiet and lots of midrange torque, where this engine says pipe me and lets rev..[>:]

jeffk464 09-30-2009 08:11 PM

Sounds good, don't get me wrong I'm hoping its a great engine. I just have had some bad experiences with Chinese engines.

Yak13 10-01-2009 10:23 AM

I totally agree with MJD: The exhaust is not pointed in the right direction.

lfinney 10-01-2009 11:09 AM

unless its total crap at most using good rear bearing and the likes it will run well, has 24mm bore;)

bob27s 10-01-2009 02:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Is this going to be a 'sleeper' speed engine? A 60 displacement in a 40 sized crankcase and designed for tuned pipe use.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EVOE0600
I wonder who came up with that idea..... (ummm... about 10 years ago now?) [&:][&:][&:][&:]:D

Probably will be a pretty good engine.

Note the part in their description about the tuned exhaust. Short stroke, pipe timed... nice.

Jett-stream muffler, 11x6 prop ..... lets see how it compairs to the 55AX configured like that.

MJD 10-02-2009 02:35 PM

You know the old saying about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery.. but it also cuts into the bottom line.

MJD

combatpigg 10-02-2009 08:10 PM

Anyone interested in buying this engine now should contact an engine reviewer to find out what's what, or at least if a review on the engine is due to come out soon. If they want my money I've got to see what rpm it will turn in a ".40 speed" application.
Surely for $150, it's going to make a lot of sport flyers very happy, but I would question longevity too. A sharp engine reviewer should be able to nit pick it for us if he's not on Evo's payroll.

Ed Smith 10-03-2009 07:24 AM

Let us not get carried away. Take a .40 size engine and bore it out to a sixty size. Lo and behold a lightweight .60. The engine comes with a standard muffler, according to the spec. There is no mention of tuned pipe use, just tuned exhaust. This probably means a tuned muffler. There is a huge difference between a tuned muffler and a tuned pipe.

An engine set up for all out tuned PIPE use has no need for a throttle. Tuned pipes operste in a very small RPM range and are unlikely to respond to throttle use. If the engine does respond to throttle use then it is not set up for maximim tuned pipe use.

Ed S

combatpigg 10-03-2009 08:20 AM

Their sales will come from the guys with ARFs who want to be the top ARFer at the old ARF field.

Mike Connor 10-03-2009 10:11 AM

Yep, I do not think they are trying to compete with Nelson or Jett.

combatpigg 10-03-2009 10:25 AM

The only example of an overbored engine I tried was the ST .90. It was a real shaker!
At some point in the design, the load of the heavier piston becomes a challenge for the rod and crank to support. The lower end can only grow to a certain point before backplate only mounting is doable. I would guess that this engine has had more attention paid to making the piston light than usual? If not, it should.

Kmot 10-03-2009 11:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

Let us not get carried away............ There is no mention of tuned pipe use, just tuned exhaust.
I think they may be referring to a tuned pipe in this statement?

"For the modeler who doesn’t want to stop at the impressive speeds offered out of the box, the engine will be designed to work with aftermarket pipe systems to provide the ultimate in model engine performance. "

combatpigg 10-03-2009 12:15 PM

I think it's carefully worded so that you can hope to gain something from a tuned pipe or from an Ultrathrust muffler. I can hope to gain that with my Fox .35, too ;).

MJD 10-03-2009 12:40 PM

Is that "..the ultimate in model engine performance" or ".. the ultimate in Evolution .60NX performance.."?

I suspect there is a difference. But I hold out hope that this is a fun engine nonetheless.

MJD

combatpigg 10-03-2009 01:56 PM

If it turns a 8x10 about 20,000, I'll take 4.

proptop 10-03-2009 03:32 PM

My slightly modified Evolution .455 Alpha and .46 NT are pretty strong running sport engines...especially with the Tower mufflers...14,000+ with a 12x4 APC on 15% ain't bad.
However we've had 2 Evo .52's in one club loose their crank pins (broken off ) at "high" r.p.m. (high being a relative term here...about the same as my .46 was turning ) and I've heard others say the same thing. Don't know if it was a bad batch or a design flaw?

The stock rear bearings in the .455/.46/.52 ain't nuthing to write home about either...hope they upgraded that in this new .60

Kmot 10-03-2009 07:16 PM

According to their parts list it supposedly uses the same ball bearings as their 120 NX engine.

Ed_Moorman 10-06-2009 09:28 PM

I would think it is an attempt to out do the OS .55AX. I have 2 of those and also a JBA .56. Both of these engines run well and both turn about the same rpm on sport props with stock mufflers. The OS .55 responds very well to a Jett muffler, gaining 1500-1700 rpm on 11-7 & 11-6 props. The JBA only gains a few hundred rpm.

I also tried the Tower and OS mufflers on the JBA and both were about 500 less than the stock JBA muffler.

If the Evo 60NX turns like the OS & JBA and responds to a pipe of Jett muffler, it ought to be great with one caveat. The glow Evolution engines are made in the same factory as the Magnums. I certainly hope the carb is better. I had 3 Magnum .52XLSs. They were top end screamers, but the mid range was poor. I have also fixed my Evo 100, one of my Tower .75s and a buddy's Evo .61 with SK 90 carbs, which have a great mid range.

lfinney 10-06-2009 10:41 PM

i agree with the thing about magnum carbs, i bought new 52 and couldnt get i to richen at all, pulled the needles, the HS had a flat disk at the end, i cut that off and polished it with some 1000 grit paper and oil, the LS needle was very rough so i did the same, re installed and now it works very well... i am using a nelson ultra thrust on it, and it really sings, i am replacing the rear with a plastic caged bearing as the stock ones are prone to shedding [:@]