RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Torque question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/9136187-torque-question.html)

mk1spitfire 09-30-2009 01:20 PM

Torque question

Ive had horrid rolling to the the left on a nitro delta before but more recently on a pimped electric funjet,clocking 120mph airspeed.

The little bugger likes rolling left alot when I apply power.

Ive used a mix, throtle to aerlon, now at 16% but in a vertical dive she still wants to bank left. May need more mix

I heard that torque decreases with rpm but ask what effects does torque have on acceleration? increase/decrease?

Also what counter acts the torque for level flight, wing area, length of wing??

Cheers

combatpigg 09-30-2009 01:45 PM

RE: Torque question

Make sure that you don't have any left thrust accidentally built in. The easiest way to check is to bolt a flat stick on in place of the prop and use that as a reference. A tiny amount of right thrust is far better than a tiny amount of left.
The lateral CG should be checked also, if you could pick a side to be heavy, it would be starboard, definitely not the port.
The biggest torque reaction will be the instant you release a plane running full throttle into the air. That's going to be where the most stored energy is built up, or when the plane is in a perfect hover and then you can get it to torque roll.

Of course more wing span and area will buffer the torque response. The reaction is only momentary and not something that you trim the ailerons to correct.

This advice is assuming that you are working with tight controls and a tight airframe that holds it's allignments in flight.

mk1spitfire 09-30-2009 02:06 PM

Thanks

Its a pusher plane. I'll check the thrust angle.

As an electric model, full throttle is used in bursts unlike my nitros where its wot all the way.!!

I have found the mix to work. Before it was like flying an untamed bull.

I hope its not a aerodynamic twist in wing, but it looks pretty good.

Ok will try flat stick, I guess I just measure or mark the stick at different positions????

I have aditional carbon spar in airframe

MJD 09-30-2009 02:59 PM

Torque follows a curve like horsepower, and usually peaks at lower rpm than the max power point.

Acceleration comes from thrust versus mass, thrust comes from power and the efficiency with which it is converted to thrust, and power is torque times rpm. Maximum acceleration potential is at maximum power rpm coupled to the optimum prop for the airspeed. Engine "A" may have more peak hp than engine "B" at the same peak rpm for both of let's say 16,000rpm. But, if engine "B" generates more torque at say 11,000 rpm than engine "A" does, then engine "B" can swing more prop load at 11k than engine "A" can, even though engine "A" can swing more prop at peak power rpm than engine "B". So if you prop them for 11,000 rpm at WOT with similar props, engine B will out accelerate engine A. If you prop them both for 16k at WOT, then engine A can out accelerate engine B assuming the prop choices in both cases are within reason.

If the roll gets worse at speed it is twist. If it worse at launch then it is side thrust. In an nutshell anyway. From experience a tiny bit of with-torque thrust offset can cause mayhem with higher power models with short wingspans - as in left thrust on regular tractor deltas. Aero and inertial damping is small. But roll tendenceies that change with speed are aero induced. You can have some of both which is a fair way to have fits.

MJD

mk1spitfire 09-30-2009 03:50 PM

thanks.

Ha I think I'm allready having a fit.

Im going to check the thrust angle.

roll changes with speed, yes, aero induced, Humm I dont want to hear truth.

Unless I dynamically slope soar it without power, how will I know wether its aero or engine?
cut motor at speed and see if she levels?

I think I have roll at launch and at high speed, its horid flying a constanly rolling plane.

The mix is helping I guess but masking it.

Is right thrust primary objective to over come torque?

MJD 09-30-2009 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: mk1spitfire
Unless I dynamically slope soar it without power, how will I know wether its aero or engine?
cut motor at speed and see if she levels?
Yes, that is a great idea - get it up to speed, then chop power. No change in roll rate - all aero. Lots of change then look at thrustline.

When in doubt set it 0-0, esp on fast aircraft where they spend so much time WOT. Hovering aerobatic things with big props and low rpm feel the need most.

On my Demon when it had left thrust, once it was up to speed there were no detectable symptoms. At launch before the wings got on step it was a worry. It got around 180 degrees on me once, I mean in a left turn back towards me not rolling. But running the pylon props launch authority was nowhere near as good as say a sport 9-7 which chugs out of your hand.

MJD

mk1spitfire 09-30-2009 04:49 PM

When in doubt set it 0-0, esp on fast aircraft?

It will be hard to fly knowing it will roll left with mix out, assuming full throttle and then cut,once its banked over would I expect it to roll back to level flight or stay in the last position of rolled bank when i cut power????

Mike Connor 09-30-2009 05:17 PM

There is torque, spiral slipstream and P-factor that try to make the airplane turn left. Most noticeable at high power and a high angle of attack like in climb out. I suspect you have an airframe issue but definitely consider some of the good suggestions so far.

combatpigg 09-30-2009 06:18 PM

How much effort does it take to make the wing panels on this plane twist? If the airframe isn't tight, this problem will never go away without resorting to bandaid type compensations.

The torgue reaction after launch gets absorbed by the plane, the pilot corrects...then the plane should go where it's pointed until the next time that the plane has to absorb another hit of torque applied. Most of the time there is enough airspeed to help buffer the inflight torque reactions.

There is a constant low level of torque that causes planes to roll left faster than right.

This force is cancelled [I suppose] by a very minute amount of aileron trim.

MJD 09-30-2009 06:26 PM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg
This force is cancelled [I suppose] by a very minute amount of aileron trim.
I'm sure that is correct, and I imagine on a light aircraft with torquey engine if you do a fast fly-by then chop, it might twitch right. But it must be insiginificant because we never seem to grumble about it. I bet pattern fliers do, they probably have a correction algorithm that mixes it out depending on the rate of throttle down when switch "M" is in the middle position.

MJD

combatpigg 09-30-2009 07:04 PM

If you send a real short span plane with a flimsy airframe [like a Blink] on a surging run with a hot TD, it will torque itself around like a funny car when the driver stabs the gas pedal, but it'll still stay the course.

MJD 09-30-2009 11:18 PM

Like when it rolls half over to the left on hand launch on a VA...? [X(]

MJD