RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   F-20 Club (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/925836-f-20-club.html)

Destiny-RCU 07-04-2003 06:02 PM

F-20 Club

Happy 4th!

I started this thread to get idea's from every one's mind's for me and for you. If you have a speed demon I would like to hear what you have done, why you decided to do it, and the outcome (engine, mods to airframe, etc.) I'm sure everyone could use a new idea to get their screamer that edge you're looking for.

Fast is what it's all about and WE ALL! would love to hear about it....Join this thread and get some idea's!! :D

Cyclic Hardover 07-04-2003 11:25 PM

F-20 Club

1 Attachment(s)
Heres mine :eek:

*Direct Connection F-20--------B U T for those of us who pay attention to detail and must be perfectionists, this plane is really and F-5. The exhaust gives this away. It has a twin engine rear end where as the F-20's like Cermark and Kangke are round back ends

Jett.50
9/8 APC
Hobbico Mechanical Retracts

Destiny-RCU 07-05-2003 01:19 AM

DC F-20

My plane

I have a DC F-20/ F-5..lol...I don't have picture's at the moment the plane was just finished. I have a brand new Jett .50 with pipe and 9x8 prop. I glassed the whole plane and painted it with the new Corevette Metalic Blue. I added sanded blocks to the front of the Imitation Air inlets to reduce drag. Spring Air retracts are installed.

Right now i'm breaking in the motor she hasn't had her first flight yet. But everything's checking out great so far....Made sure all the controls are tight and taped up the Control Surfaces. Should be one fast mother.

Thanks wish the best.

Razor-RCU 07-05-2003 04:00 AM

well-

1 Attachment(s)
I am not in the same league as Cyclic, Flyboy Dave and Air-Gar but... (I am working on it-)

I am a huge Patriot fan- and here is what I have so far-

Patriot built from a kit, just purchased a Jett-50 for 'er :D , it has Spring Air retracts, split flaps, and sealed control surfaces... I also, started using a 6V flight pack for speed and torque-

I also have a Lanier F-4 with a YS-45 and Macs tuned pipe...(too loud for the club tho- :rolleyes: )

Lastly I have the 60 sized Cermark F-20 with mechanical retracts, nose gear door sequencer, that was a paper weight with the OS-61FX that came with it but I am throwing an old Piped Rossi- 60 in her soon-

Good luck with the thread!
james

Cyclic Hardover 07-05-2003 11:34 AM

F-20 Club

Actually I never eally clicked on this F-5 thing until I was building my Cermark F-20. i run a Jett.90 in that one. I noticed the difference and went looking for full scale pictures and their it was.

Destiny-RCU 07-05-2003 01:56 PM

F-5

Thanks

I noticed the DC F-20 doesn't exactly look like the real thing but that's okay it's a beauty. I love the Patriots too, durring my hunt for a speed plane I was searching all over trying to find one, even called GP but they couldn't help. I found the Direct Connection to be the best alternative as far as speed and looks.

Cyclic, I pretty much have the same set up as you do, what kind of speeds do you get out of it?...I hear the F-20 isin't as fast as the patriot was, I don't understand why, it's really stream line and the Jett .50 should make it move....

Thanks guys
Russ
ASE Master certified tech.
Mechanic durring the week, pilot on the weekends.

flyrcjets 07-08-2003 05:44 AM

D/C F20

1 Attachment(s)
Hey great thread! I'm really happy with my D/C F20. Just changed out a Jett 50 for a Jett 60..awesome..the plane is bashed as I lengthend the nose, added retracts, and a nose gear door. I covered the plane all in Monocote including the stripping. I went a bit nuts. Anyway great flying plane!
Kev

Cyclic Hardover 07-08-2003 08:14 PM

Re: F-5

Originally posted by Destiny
Thanks

I noticed the DC F-20 doesn't exactly look like the real thing but that's okay it's a beauty. I love the Patriots too, durring my hunt for a speed plane I was searching all over trying to find one, even called GP but they couldn't help. I found the Direct Connection to be the best alternative as far as speed and looks.

Cyclic, I pretty much have the same set up as you do, what kind of speeds do you get out of it?...I hear the F-20 isin't as fast as the patriot was, I don't understand why, it's really stream line and the Jett .50 should make it move....

Thanks guys
Russ
ASE Master certified tech.
Mechanic durring the week, pilot on the weekends.

About 125mph which is very good considering we are at 5000ft

flyrcjets 07-13-2003 11:47 PM

D/C Canopy

Wondering if any of you have a spare canopy you'd part with? I'd gladly pay for it as mine blew off today and we could'nt find it! Fastest it ever flew ..(with a Jett .60) thanks K

Flyboy Dave 07-14-2003 11:26 AM

F-20's....ya' gotta love 'em....

1 Attachment(s)
....here's my 60 size Cermark on the launch pad. :cool:

It's not real fast with the Tower .75, but nothing looks
better than a "20" on a gear-up flyby.... ;)

JohnVH 07-15-2003 04:44 PM

F-20 Club

Here is mine, DC F20, YS.45, spring air retracts. I got it covered that way:rolleyes: This was my turbine waiver plane.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/da...opa__small.jpg

Flyboy Dave 07-16-2003 02:22 PM

Yo, John....

....can you tell us more about the turbine waiver thing ?
requirements, speed, ect.... :)

The little F-20's are a hoot, huh ? How fast is yours ?

Dave. :)

JohnVH 07-16-2003 02:24 PM

F-20 Club

Mine is not super scary fast, either is my jet for that matter. But its easy to land! Goto AMA site, lots of info there. The requirements will vary from CD to CD. So its best to contact them and see what they expect to see. Most are not worried about the plane meeting the 150mph speed. But want to see you fly something fairly fast and be in control, especially in takeoffs and landings both ways.

You going for a waiver?

Flyboy Dave 07-16-2003 03:42 PM

F-20 Club

Negateevo...I was just curoius about the 150 mph
thing.... :)

....I'm a prop and piston kinda' guy.... :D

JohnVH 07-16-2003 05:27 PM

F-20 Club

I hear that, you can do more with them anyway for less $;)

Besides, piston power can break 200 also

Flyboy Dave 07-16-2003 06:10 PM

F-20 Club

I like to watch the jets fly....but I'm not the one to
put that kind of money in one....It's always by best
plane that goes in. :mad:

....I'll just keep watching, and loving my prop-jets. :D

Rudeboy 07-16-2003 10:54 PM

F-20 Club

I know the feeling Dave...

I messed up the cowl and landing gear of my 2500$ Sukhoi 26 in a freak dead stick landing accident... then I decided to get a Magnum, thinking that this thing wouldn't cost so much when I messed it up... And now, no matter how low I fly the damn thing,nothing seems to want to go wrong... :D

Destiny-RCU 07-16-2003 11:13 PM

Expensive

This hobbie is expensive,

I was thinking myself to go buy a Turbine, but after watching DF's and giant Scale plane's for 12 years flying now. I just can't seem to pull myself into spending that much money. Half the time that guys at the field with the $3,000 planes only fly once or twice because of the nerv wrecking feeling while they fly....Especially the Jets!.....No thanks on my end =:p~

Russ

JohnVH 07-16-2003 11:15 PM

F-20 Club

Ahh, its not that bad, once its in the air you dont think about the money that much.

What is the point of having it if your scared to fly it?!

I fly the heck out of my $3000 plane, as do all the others here.

But dollar to fun factor, they cant compare.

Destiny-RCU 07-16-2003 11:22 PM

True

Yeah most of the Caps and Extra's that cost a pretty penny do fly with out holding back. But man when I see the DF's and Turbine's come out the the field....They set up and do nothing for 3 hours but walk around and look bored, then if you're lucky they'll suck it up and fly it once with their knee's shaking..lol...Then they pack up and go home. Maybe they just like to take it easy, or it's just too expensive...Either way it doesn't look like any fun compared to the 7 or 8 flights I get.... :rolleyes:

JohnVH 07-16-2003 11:24 PM

F-20 Club

Wow, that is odd, where you live I know there are alot of jet guys, and they fly ALOT.

When we go fly jets up here we put 3-5 flights on.

Destiny-RCU 07-16-2003 11:29 PM

Yeah

I live in Ft Lauderdale Florida,

Yeah it's no joke just this last Sunday 2 guys came out at about Noon time with Turbines and they flew 1 time each at 5 o'clock then packed up and left...Krazy

JohnVH 07-16-2003 11:30 PM

F-20 Club

How funny:p Whats the point in having them then? Buy a couple big aerobats and have some fun!:D

Destiny-RCU 07-16-2003 11:34 PM

Exactly

That's just what I say, I need to move where you guys fly..lol...It's not just those 2 guys either, i've been going to that field for years and the whole time when jets come out they fly once or twice and pack it up...To me that's a waste of time and money!...It's my hobbie and I love to fly....One flight on the weekend and i'd lose it!.. :D

Flyboy Dave 07-19-2003 03:56 AM

Yo, Brothers....

1 Attachment(s)
....this is what turns me on about the F-20's.... :cool: