RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   What is outrageously fast and an ARF. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/967504-what-outrageously-fast-arf.html)

MarkNovack 07-17-2003 08:05 PM

What is outrageously fast and an ARF.

Hi,
I not into racing or anything...I fly pattern, but I'm considering getting something outrageously fast for a nice Jett .50 just to fly at shows. I would like something quite simple and quick to build because I have very little time after pattern, working, and building for others, maintanence, mowing the freaking lawn, getting the occasional nights sleep...

I would like to use the Jett .50 and be able to go so very fast that when I practice pattern it seems like my airplane is almost stationary. I would like to keep the ARF cost to a reasonable minimum. I would perfer using standard sized servos over minis...say Futaba 9202s or such.

I do not really care if it is a delta or straight winged airplane. I prefer something that will last at least few hundred flights and goes together correctly.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

wildnloose 07-17-2003 08:17 PM

Many have talked about doing this, but I do not think anyone has yet....

Shoehorn that Jett in a Weston Magnum....then give us a report...

Its an ARF, 4 hours build time...

Rudeboy 07-17-2003 10:22 PM

Yep, Magnum is cheap and ARF... and very fast...

MarkNovack 07-18-2003 06:29 AM

WHat about the Whiplash?

I have seen the Magnum and found it rather cheapesh and it was not impressive in the air.

What about the Whiplash. WHat are the high end speeds one can excpect?

And what about a Q-500 style airplane. How fast do these go. I know they can turn very well too?

Thanks,
Mark

RCLIVIN 07-18-2003 06:34 AM

Whiplash, @ aerojetmodels.com They have clocked them @ 200 mph+ with jetfire50 engine. But you will want to use a high torque digital servo with metal gears, I used hitec 5945 with good results. You need enough torque @ these speeds to deflect the surface & you want digital so the servo has precise centering, a standard servo in this plane wouldn't last probably one minute before self destructing & the plane will be real soon to follow.

Gil

mumblety-peg 07-18-2003 07:25 AM

U can probably find a Diamond Dust already built herer on RCU.

wildnloose 07-18-2003 11:55 AM

Just curious:

I have seen the Magnum and found it rather cheapesh and it was not impressive in the air.
Please explain what you mean (not impressive in the air)???

MarkNovack 07-18-2003 01:32 PM

Little lateral stability.

Now, it may have been the pilot, but I know the guy and he is fairly competent. It seemed to wobble on the longitudinal axis a bit and did not track very nicely through turns. It lacked a sure footedness that some of the deltas (mostly the Laser Arrow) I have seen displayed.

Additionally, it looked typically cheap. I want this to be a quick and easy endeavor without having to replace every piece to make it a safe flying model. I will haul whatever speed demon I buy to various shows with many spectators and I prefer something a little more solid looking. Weston has some nice products, but I find their ARF line to be on the lower side of things.

I have looked at the Whiplash a little bit. What is the consensus on this airplane? Is it a composite airplane? What does one need to finish it out? Sure, I'll toss in a couple of metal geared digitals if recommended.

Anything out there in the same quality that moves faster?

OK, about kits. I have no problem with a kit if it is a quick build. I build for a part time job, so I'm a a bit better than a hack when it comes to gluing wood and shrink wrapping a finish to an airframe. Anything in that catagory that I should look into? I know that a lot of these little airplanes can be framed in a day or two.

Let's set the airplane price at the cost of the Whiplash, currently $319.00. Jett .50, and a few digital servo plus odds and ends will keep the whole package in the $900.00 region, about right for a simple crowd pleaser. Tell me, what might be more impressive in a show environment, or is that the coup de gras?

Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions,
Mark

ChuckAuger 07-18-2003 01:59 PM

The Whip is composite, is as easy to set up as anything (it is the first ARF I've had). Moves right out with the Jett 50 from what I gather. You can get the X version for $169 plus shipping, but if you have the $$ the Extreme is the $319 you mentioned.

Mine is a show stopper..it is so loud and fast that people land when they hear it bang off. Fun to fly.

It comes with everything you need, down to the fuel line. Everything. Couple of MG digis and a throttle servo. Some paint. A little epoxy to glue the fins on.

http://www.pan-tex.net/usr/w/jwillia...s/NewWhip2.jpg

Rudeboy 07-18-2003 02:40 PM

I sounds like you need a Whiplash Mark.

You're right about the Magnum... it does look rather cheap the way it comes.
About the tracking in turns: I had a problem with that too. It appears the slot for the vertical stabiliser was out of line ever so slightly. It didn't show up when I was measuring it while putting the plane together, but it showed up during the first flights. Everything needs to be 110% straight at these speeds! I solved it by cutting a trim surface out of the vertical stabiliser, putting a couple of horns and kwiklinks on and trimming the plane.
I had to trim almost next to nothing, but still, the plane flies much better now.

In your first post you said you wanted to keep the ARF cost to a reasonable minimum. If 320$ is a reasonable minimum to you, then get the Whip... I suspect it is the best money can buy if you want something fast and sturdy. And it looks great with one of the airbrush motives.

mumblety-peg 07-18-2003 05:53 PM

That Arrow sure does track well. Maybe not the fastest Delta. But very smoth in the air.

Goinstraightup 07-18-2003 06:43 PM

That looks totally hot chuck!!!

MarkNovack 07-18-2003 07:31 PM

Then Whiplash it is.

1 Attachment(s)
OK, you have given me the information I needed. I think I shall order a Whiplash after the contest season is over with. I probably will not be able to fly it too much or everywhere do to the noise the Jett will make, but for three minute demos at various shows it should prvide quite a thrill for the crowd and me too.

I guess cheap is all a matter of context. I have two Majestics and an Enigma from ZN, a big Carden and a few fancy ARF sport airplanes, and a few others that I spent months building, so $319.00 is not too bad. Pattern, especially flying ZNLine airplanes, tends to jade one quite thoroughly and one becomes very picky (snoby maybe, but not in a really bad way necessarily) with airplane quality. I picked up the GP Patty Wagstaff Extra last November when I was in the USA and I am not overly pleased with the quality. It is all relative. In 1998 when I started to fly, it would have been simply awesome, but now it is just another ARF with no real special features other than it looks like my favorite lady's airplane, Patty's. Patty, I'm still single!!!

The Whiplash does look to be very high quality and I have not seen any complaints. I think it will be good training for my reflexes and will help to build my neck muscles. I have always been interested too in owning a Dub Jett motor and seeing what Amercian machining will do.

Thanks again for the advice.

Mark

daven 07-18-2003 08:29 PM

You may want to check on what the shipping of a Whiplash to Europe will be. A pretty big box is needed to ship that thing.

You will like the Jett engine, that I can gaurantee. Do you have access to 10-15% Nitro fuels? I'm not sure how well it would run on FAI Fuel, unless you asked Dub to set it up to run on it initially.

MarkNovack 07-18-2003 09:00 PM

Coolpower.

I use Coolpower from 15% to 30% exclusively. No problem on the fuel. Yes, Europe imports the best!!! I'll check on that box. If it is under 132" linear then I can have it shipped to my APO. If not, then it looks like another commercial shipping deal. I prefer paying $30.00 to the APO than $250.00 through commercial shipping :-).

Thanks for the heads up.

Mark

ChuckAuger 07-18-2003 09:03 PM

I think there was another poster on here from Belgium that had a Whip shipped...can't recall his name, seems like he was a flight officer for an airline.

I have a Whip Box right here..explain the "linear" to me (W X H X D??) and I'll measure it right quick. Or just post the measurements :rolleyes:

29" X 39" X 6"

daven 07-19-2003 02:36 AM

CoolPower Fuel

Maybe its just me, but I would be hesitant to run Cool Power (all synthetic oil) in a Jett (true ABC) engine.

Do you have acces to Omega, which would have at least a partial blend of castor added???