RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   My first time flying a Diamond Dust (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/970535-my-first-time-flying-diamond-dust.html)

Goinstraightup 07-18-2003 06:23 PM

My first time flying a Diamond Dust

Well, the fastest thing I've ever flown was a UT muff .46 powered Scat Cat 500. The DD made the Scat look like it was standing still. It had a OS 36 SX with the Mac's pipe turning some serious R's.

Fired it up and put it on the launch stand. Ran engine up and stand broke on launch.... 40 squirrelly feet and I cartwheeled into the high grass. Didn't even break a prop!!! At that point I was a little nervous, but WOW-OOPS (the planes owner) told me to try again. Back on the stand and run up. Stand worked fine and a harry launch was successful. In the air - MAN THIS THING IS FAST!!! Clocked at 118 into the wind at a fun fly, so I was going about 130, and it didn't care if it was straight up or not. What a screamer. A few clicks of up trim and 1 click of left and it was flying pretty straight (you can never say a plane like this will fly "hands off"). In for landing and it slowed down pretty good. I noticed I was pretty tense flying it, but it was a great time. Nice pane and definitely satisfies the need for speed.

Jeff A

packe29 07-18-2003 09:00 PM

What dos your launch stand look like? I am having a hard tine getting my buddys to launch my DD. Thanks Chuck

FlooredCOBRA 07-18-2003 09:22 PM

Thats one thing about the Dust I like, It can slow down pretty slow.
My first one I had an OS 46 FX on it and it was loads of fun even putting around it still was stable. It also lands so easy too with nose up just floats on in.

As for launching it should just yank out of your hand. Also tell them not to shove it or give it a push when they launch it. I found it causes it to go a bit squirrly and takes more time to recover.

Just aim up a little and to right and nail it, let go and it just yank right out of your hand. These things jump up in speed pretty quick as it is.

Goinstraightup 07-19-2003 12:42 PM

The launch stand is pretty cool. It is PVC pipe and holds the plane at about a 30 degree nose high angle. There's two posts in the back that are pretty far apart that keep the plane from falling on the ground. In the front there's two posts closer together that keep the plane from going forward on runup. Then there's a foot pedal that you press to lower the front posts and the plane takes off.

The stand was made by RCU username WOW-OOPS. Search through the users and send him a PM. I'm sure he'd help. Tell him Jeff (Goinstraightup) told you about it.

Jeff A

WOW-OOPS 07-20-2003 05:14 PM

Chuck

Hand launching the DD works very good, but someone has to help and you need to hold the DD to start and adjust the engine.

My DD launcher is used for starting and adjusting the engine. When the engine is running full blast a foot pedal is depressed and the plane shoots off. It is easy to make out of 1/2" PVC tubing. Easy to modify and it disassembles for easy transporting.

Gene

WOW-OOPS 07-20-2003 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chuck

Trying to enter a picture.

mumblety-peg 07-20-2003 10:25 PM

Folks here on the board are claiming to launch this plane by themselves. I guess it depends on the engine. I've got a Webra 53 on mine. After it's fully broken in I think I'll be able to launch alone. But I really like the idea of a launcher.

Goinstraightup 07-21-2003 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a closeup of Gene's (WOW-OOPS) DD:

Goinstraightup 07-21-2003 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't notice until the other night, I have a side view of the stand:

FlooredCOBRA 07-23-2003 01:59 AM

on that last pic of the yellow plane. what engine prop size you running? The prop looks huge compared to mine. Kind of looks like a fx or somthing.

Looks like it would launch like it was in a hurry

Goinstraightup 07-23-2003 11:23 AM

FlooredCOBRA,

The engine is an OS 36SX with the MACS pipe. I didn't find out the prop size.

Jeff A

wilkigmc 07-29-2003 06:38 PM

A friend of mine has a Diamond Dust with a Jettfire 50 engine. He won't fly it because it's so quick, so I fly it instead. IT has a 9x9 APC prop, turning (at a gues) 20,000 rpm running on Coolpower fuel. I recently flew it with a couple of Weston Magnums, doing opposing passes at eye level over the runway. After 3 laps, I had caught them up and overtaken them.

I like the idea of the launch stand. That must make it a lot easier!!