RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Diamond Dust explodes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/993791-diamond-dust-explodes.html)

mumblety-peg 07-26-2003 03:52 PM

Diamond Dust explodes

Sigh.... the engine was just getting broken in. this was my first time flying with a 9*7. The webra 52 liked it a lot. By far the fastest so far for me. And then.... kabloom. It just exploded in flight. I'm thinkin' the covering ripped. Oh well, back to the basement. I have a kit. And they don't take all that long to build.

Flyboy Dave 07-26-2003 05:28 PM

mumblety-peg....

....Man, I hate it when that happens.... :eek: ....

....bad things start to happen when the speed gets
up there.... :rolleyes: ....

....good luck on the next one.... ;)

Dave. :)

Kaos1 07-26-2003 05:55 PM

Diamond Dust explodes

Has anyone ever sheeted the wings on their Diamond Dust? With such a low wing loading, a little extra balsa/lite ply couldn't hurt. I am thinking of building a 1.5X or a 2X DD and am planning on sheeting the wings. It would prevent the explosion that happened to you.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

mumblety-peg 07-26-2003 06:41 PM

Diamond Dust explodes

Thanks guys-
U build em to crash em. Thinking anything else is just a delusion. I'm just glad it was near enough to the runway when it happend that I could get all the parts. I'l start the new one tonight.

It was at least an interesting way to lose an aircraft. Very impressive explosion really.

Man, it sure was fun while it lasted.

Mum

JohnVH 07-27-2003 12:45 AM

Diamond Dust explodes

Bummer! I have tried to make mine explode in air, just wont happen. And its covered in motocote.

Full throttle dives for a few hundred feet, the pull up full elevator and last minute still full throttle, just richote's:D:D

RCLIVIN 07-27-2003 01:17 AM

Diamond Dust explodes

Keep your engine & put it on a whiplash, it won't explode!!!

Gil

CONTENDER 07-27-2003 03:03 AM

Exploding Dust

1 Attachment(s)
When I ordered my dust a while back, the guy on the phone, recommended not using Monokote, because it was too brittle and would not stand up to the belly landings, especially on rougher flying fields. He also told me to be sure that all the seams in the covering were facing backwards, as the Dust tends to 'unwrap' itself in flight if you don't.
But, your right, they are quick to build, and, that has to be the talk of your club for at least two meetings.
Don't give up!! Speed is intoxicating!!!

CONTENDER

mumblety-peg 07-27-2003 10:58 AM

Diamond Dust explodes

Contender... u are right. It was an impresive site.

RCISMYLIFE... If I didn't have the kit I'd order one right now. I may order one anyway. That is after I move. I'm moving from MA to Oakland, CA. No more NE winters for me :D

mumblety-peg 07-27-2003 11:00 AM

Diamond Dust explodes

Come to think of it... I bet it was landing damge that did me in. I think I'm going to put some of that sticky checker-board stuff on the bottm of this one.

RCLIVIN 07-27-2003 08:32 PM

Diamond Dust explodes

I had a whiplash with an os50sx/ultrathrust it was really fast, I really think you would like it with the webra. Good luck on the move, more good weather to fly.

Gil