RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   H9 Jackal 50 Prop Jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/9959770-h9-jackal-50-prop-jet.html)

tlj125 09-30-2011 09:07 PM

RE: H9 Jackal 50 Prop Jet

1 Attachment(s)
My air pump and fitting in plane...

tlj125 09-30-2011 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My fuel tank install...

Krasherjack 10-01-2011 02:33 AM

ORIGINAL: tlj125

A few pics of the damage from in flight prop failure...
Tlj
Try JB weld on the muffler, it's worked for me in the past...also looks like the stops are gone on the low mixture adj..http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...bout_smile.gifgood luck with that.
what do you figure, on the prop failure?
We fly of a Grass field, and I had to lenthen the nose gear, to clear the grass, with the 11*6 prop on. It was just like a mower on takeoff.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif
Jack

freakingfast 10-01-2011 06:29 AM

Heads up guys, some of the Dubro filter clunks may have very poor flow rates! http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD741&P=7 So it you were thinking of going cheap, you may be going lean. On a Evolution 60 NX, I had to turn the HS screw out two turns further than I needed with the OS bubbless clunk. The engine exhibited inconsistent mixture from full to empty with the Dubro. Changed to the pricy OS clunk and the run was rock solid. I just had to try it, oh well....a wast of time.

By the way, last week end I ran my Diamond Dust fuel tank dry as a bone using the OS clunk. I showed this to the guys in the pits and they couldn't believe anything could fly that violently, yet flawlessly running to the very end.

viper1676 10-01-2011 07:21 AM

Thanks for the info sonny. Just read about your incident with Jackal 1...sorry to hear but good instincts responding to the order of your safety officer. Mine is definitely a battery issue. You could see the elevator moving very very slowly...we'll see what happens. Thanks for the photo's TIJ, I ended up doing the same thing with my fill valve. I'm running a 10-7 on the evo...noticed everyone else is running a 10-6 so off to the LHS today to get another one and some bolts. Already picked up some high temp extra strength lock tite for the muffler. I don't know what the heck happened with the engine bolt. Wondering if I tweaked a little when I was tightening it and it finally just snapped under the vibration.

jet22b 10-01-2011 08:58 AM

tij125;
To me it look like the blade let go where it leave the spinner hub. I always make sure the blade is in the center of the cutout and the spinner is tight. I have seen in the past what these cut out can do to a prop blade. When you turn the engine over with a stater and the spinner is not tight, it will bite into the blade and over time will let go.
So guys check your spinner and prop blades to see if the blade is in the center!!
I hope you plane is okay!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b

mumblety-peg 10-01-2011 10:39 AM

Can someone please tell me where I can get a replacement for the front axle? I'm using the Roberts retracts. I guess I forgot the loctite. Sigh.

I did have one brief flight. But the engine was running a bit rough so I cut it short. I need to check the tank.

Its taken forever to get this plane in the air. It is a bunch more complicated than the the things I usually fly.

jet22b 10-01-2011 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: mumblety-peg

Can someone please tell me where I can get a replacement for the front axle? I'm using the Roberts retracts. I guess I forgot the loctite. Sigh.

I did have one brief flight. But the engine was running a bit rough so I cut it short. I need to check the tank.

Its taken forever to get this plane in the air. It is a bunch more complicated than the the things I usually fly.
Here you go!!!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...7&I=LXYUU6&P=K

Sonny
aka
jet22b

richardgerardi 10-02-2011 11:34 AM

FINALLY I flew the Jackal by myself. Been looking at it for months and it intimidated me. Had someone fly it a few months ago and has been sitting around in the basement begging to be flown. So I took her out today. I have only been flying since 2007 so still learning. First fligh take off was good 1/4 flaps did the trick. Lost sight of it for a while cause I was trembling. Went around a few times and landed it. Easy plane to land with full flaps. Flys well at 1/2 throtlle. Got my courage back and flew her a second time. This time a little longer made some full throtlle passes and WOW what a beauty. The Jett 56 was flawless ran like a champ. Have it running at 17600rmps with an APC 9x8. No plugs burning or foaming issues. Can't wait till next weekend since I flew it with the gears down too nervous to play with 2 different switches. The guys at the club loved it. Hope is sunny because today was cloudy and she is hard to see. :)

Krasherjack 10-02-2011 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: richardgerardi

FINALLY I flew the Jackal by myself. Been looking at it for months and it intimidated me. Had someone fly it a few months ago and has been sitting around in the basement begging to be flown. So I took her out today. I have only been flying since 2007 so still learning. First fligh take off was good 1/4 flaps did the trick. Lost sight of it for a while cause I was trembling. Went around a few times and landed it. Easy plane to land with full flaps. Flys well at 1/2 throtlle. Got my courage back and flew her a second time. This time a little longer made some full throtlle passes and WOW what a beauty. The Jett 56 was flawless ran like a champ. Have it running at 17600rmps with an APC 9x8. No plugs burning or foaming issues. Can't wait till next weekend since I flew it with the gears down too nervous to play with 2 different switches. The guys at the club loved it. Hope is sunny because today was cloudy and she is hard to see. :)
Hey Richard, welcome to the club...You could have just described my first Jackal Flighthttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

richardgerardi 10-02-2011 03:00 PM

kjack did you change underawear?

Dieselman1220 10-02-2011 04:30 PM

Hey guys Ive been waiting 6 month now for HH to get the Jackal engine mount in stock and im tired of waiting. Anyone know of a a replacement that will not
require me to re drill the fire wall, thanks.

jet22b 10-02-2011 05:23 PM

richardgerardi;
Congrat on your maiden flight!!!! Yes this baby fly very good at half throttle. Now you will find that you will take the Jackal more to the field than any other plane you have in your hangar. Just wait till you suck the gear up, you will be hook!!:D

Sonny
aka
jet22b

viper1676 10-02-2011 05:53 PM

Well, didn't get a chance to bring the Jackal back up this weekend. We had our clubs fun fly today, and I just didn't have the time to switch out the battery with a new one. Plus, we had probably about 50 people there, not really when I would like to maiden a new plane. Oh well, there's always next weekend, or maybe Friday night again.

Krasherjack 10-03-2011 02:47 AM

Hey Richard,
No, but I did trim the plane to fly around the circuit, with the flaps down, because I Forgot to flip the switch...http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...bout_smile.gif

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ades_smile.gif

richardgerardi 10-03-2011 05:13 AM

Krasherjack I had a club memeber help me with the switches. He switched the flaps up and down for me as I was to scared to let go of the stick[&o].

Sonny I think you are right they all loved the looks of it and fast it moves. Will have the guys swith the gears jup for me and see what happens. :D

bob27s 10-03-2011 05:53 AM

looks like it let go at the spinner interface?

mumblety-peg 10-03-2011 12:27 PM

Based on all (one) landing, its not all that hard to land this plane. Did I luck out on this first landing? Do I really even need flaps?

tlj125 10-03-2011 05:43 PM

Bob,

The retaining screw for the spinner failed first.art of the screw remained in the prop nut as can be seen in the picture. The spinner fell off in flight and probably damaged the prop along the way. The prop nut did not come loose and was tight. The prop failed two flights later on a high speed run above the runway.

Mum,

The Jackal is easy to land. Does really neat wheely landings if you hold the elevator long enough on landing.

Terry

airraptor 10-04-2011 09:12 AM

you ran the prop with it cut up from the spinner coming off?

Next time think you might want to change the prop................

Krasherjack 10-04-2011 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: mumblety-peg

Based on all (one) landing, its not all that hard to land this plane. Did I luck out on this first landing? Do I really even need flaps?
Mum,
The Jackal lands really well with Flaps down, always comes in on the final grove, with a greaser 3 wheel landing, on grass.
The Flaps slow the final approach, while lowering the stall speed...why mess with it.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif

mumblety-peg 10-04-2011 02:52 PM

Thanks Gang... Just first flight jitters. I made the mistake of adding up the cost of all the components!

Headhunter70 10-07-2011 01:55 AM

Hi there,

I am in the final stage of assembling the Jackal...question here..
it seems the elevator has a small negative V form...is that normal or should I make an appointment with my optician ?

richardgerardi 10-07-2011 09:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Headhunter70

Hi there,

I am in the final stage of assembling the Jackal...question here..
it seems the elevator has a small negative V form...is that normal or should I make an appointment with my optician ?

It is normal. Have fun

JoeMamma 10-14-2011 05:02 PM

My Jackal’s been sitting in its box for much too long. It’s time to get started on assembly !

I’m planning on using the EFlite 60-120 size electric retracts on my Jackal. It took some head scratching, but I have the 60-120 tri-cycle set in both my EFlite Deuces Wild and my Hangar 9 Phoenix 7. I was also able to eliminate the steering control cables on both of these models and replace the cables with a single, solid 4-40 rod. No more tangled steering cables !!

Because it’s going to take some head scratching to make them work on the Jackal, I guess I’ll start with the retracts first.

If anybody is interested in installing the EFlite 60-120 size retracts in a Jackal, let me know and I’ll post some pictures.

Joe M.